AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I'm a bit disappointed with something and figured someone here may be able to give me some advice on how to use these matching 15" sub drivers I have. Long story, but I need advice.

ACI was having a clearance sale a few weeks ago for quite a bit of stuff. One thing was the SV-15" driver that they used in their Maestro. These drivers look great and have good specs and were used in a very nice subwoofer. Brand new!

Not only were they on sale, but one weekend they offered another 20% off. It didn't take me long to decide I wanted 4 of these new beasts. The price ended up being about $111 each! Sweet. I wanted to build 2 enclosures with 2 drivers in each, sort of like the JL Fathom.....forward facing.

So they were delivered in separate boxes. Guess what? 3 of them were identical and looked like the small photo on their Maestro page. The 4th? Well, it has an inverted dust cap and the surround is totally different. Bummer.

Here's what the first 3 look like: They are nice.

But, here's what the 4th one looks like next to it.

So my hopes for the dual "fathom" look started looking bad.

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Photo comparing the surrounds:

I e-mailed ACI and they said the supplier changed the design a couple times, but the performance is the same. They had NO MORE SV15's to exchange for me to get a pair of exact subs. Bummer again.

So I thought maybe I could just do 2 down firing subs on each side so you couldn't see the driver's front difference. Then make 2 more single enclosures facing forward that match perfectly. Okay, things were looking up.

However, the surround is made of different material and the one on the right is much "softer" and it's much easier to push down on the cone. I tried this very lightly just to see. Night and day difference.

I began to worry about things being too different and whether the specs I had matched that 4th different driver. Different specs would not be good in 4 identical boxes.

But then by pure luck on their clearance-sale page they listed one final SV15. Man was I happy. The listing said it had a different looking dustcap but performance was the same, so I figured it was like my 4th odd ball driver's dust cap. Awesome. I'll buy it because shipping all of these back and forth made no sense. But it was $139. He lowered it to $125 after some e-mails and my problems. Uhhhhh, that's still more than I spent originally ($111)? Whatever, I didn't want to bicker. I told them I needed the inverted dust cap driver to match mine.

One would think that if the supplier changed designs a couple times, and then this unit pops up on the site with a different dustcap, it would be like my odd ball. Hey, at least I could have 2 matching pairs right? 1 pair inverted caps, one pair regular.

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So today I get the package. Oh yeh, it's finally go time with the build! I open the shipping box, the inner packaging is a little different, no big deal. I continue to open, and then get disappointed in more ways than one.

The dustcap IS different! But NOT like I was expecting. It's just much smaller than my 3 good units. Bummer yet again. I got worried because it looked like someone used a pencil to draw a circle where the dustcap was to be glued on. No big deal, I could see that happening possibly.

Here's the photo: It looks like the supplier tried a larger cap, but changed it to a slightly smaller one (little glue left over?). You can barely see the pencil line below the "glue?" line up towards the top of the dust cap. It's not inverted.

Then I take it all the way out of the shipping box. Oh no, guess what? It's a dual voice coil unit??????? Say what? All the others ones are single. Total bummer.

Further looking, this is on the side and it looks like the driver has been mounted and used:

If you go back to my first picture, you can see a type of mesh they used around the copper guts inside. This driver doesn't have that. Notice right next to the terminals, you can see the insides. Probably no big deal.

But I'm pretty disappointed.

·
Registered
6,946 Posts
Have you conversed with ACI?

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So, I ask the guys here for advice

This is what I am looking at right now:

What can I do? What can I build? What should I build? My dual "fathom look" is totally gone.

Obviously the 3 at the top are perfect. You can see the one with the inverted dustcap and different surround.

And the one I got today is obvious. But that one really can't be used, especially with having dual voice coils, and unknown specs. I'm also uncomfortable seeing it was marked as a sample and used. I would think ACI would really try to max out their suppliers sample units.

They were suppose to be new, so I still have a very tiny bit of hope that there was a mistake at their warehouse. But I don't think so because the first 5 e-mails they said they were sold out. I was just hoping for two matching pairs.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I would build a sample box and try the others out to see how they perform. If all else fails parts express sells all the dust caps you could want in all different sizes. Change the cap on the oddball. No one will notice and if they test the same only you will be the wiser.

Good luck,

Robert

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Is it really dual voice coil and not just 2 sets of connectors on the basket. I have a driver like that- 2 sets of connectors and 1 voice coil only. Just checking.

Good luck.

P.S. I have had the same type of things happen with parts for my lawn equipment. The models stay the same, but change in ways that the new parts do not bolt up to the old stuff and you end up with all kinds of spare parts when you think you were getting a deal.

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
Hmm... maybe poll the audience and see if someone that ordered 'one' of those drivers with the correct size dustcap would consider a trade.

Either that or order 4 larger dustcaps from parts express and change all 4 to match.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci /forum/post/16905043

Time for that giant 8th order build. Problem solved

Good idea.

Hey josh,

I will be

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
I'd build three 6cuft ported enclosures tuned to 18hz for the the three matching drivers and sell of the two that don't match. You do realize that sending 800w to each of these gives you nearly 126db output flat to 15hz or so considering just three.

·
Registered
26,476 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem13 /forum/post/16905479

I'd build three 6cuft ported enclosures tuned to 18hz for the the three matching drivers and sell of the two that don't match. You do realize that sending 800w to each of these gives you nearly 126db output flat to 15hz or so considering just three.

I will buy two for $50

·
Registered
7,532 Posts
Eric,

Did you ever figure out if they are Tempest-X clones or not?

I finished building the box for my first pair of Tempest-X. 24 cu.ft. tuned to 16hz. It freakin slams hard and sounds super clean. Good enough to listen to with music. In fact, it's almost as tight sounding as a sealed enclosure. I'm very happy with it.

I'm scared of what it'll be like when I finish the second box! Just this one is enough for movies with volume calibrated at 10db above reference level. Hasn't bottomed out yet. Btw, I'm using a Reckhorn B1 with it. I had to fiddle with the Reckhorn to get it to work the way I wanted. Not super happy with it. But I was just as unimpressed with the EQ.2 I used to have.

I guess I'm just expecting these crossovers to have a steeper filter.

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the ideas guys. The thing about the first different one is that I know I can change the dust cap. But the surround is very different and it seems to take a lot less force to move the cone. It's just not as stiff. It's also a totally different material/rubber. But maybe that doesn't matter too much.

Robert, I will check about the extra pair of terminals, but I doubt they'll have the specs. I think they had to do some digging to find the specs for the current ones.

Here's why I'm a bit disappointed (cue up the sad music!). I'm not a huge fan of the Behringer EP2500. I bought a NHT B-20 amp and loved it because it's silent and puts out the juice. I liked it enough that I have THREE of them now just for this final project I've been planning.

I wanted to run a pair of nice ported 15's on two of the amps at 400-500 max each channel. Then use the other B-20 for the bass bins I just built with dual 10" NHT drivers.

So I took all my stuff down and spent a lot of time getting everything ready and tested this time around. And now I may not be able to do this. I gotta be honest, my family and friends are beginning to look at me a little weird!
Seriously, and I'm beginning to wonder myself! Picture a 12' x 24' room with 4 amps wired all over the floor for testing, two ED 12" drivers, two 15" drivers, twelve 10" NHT drivers, and now five 15" ACI drivers.........also laying everywhere being tested. La la land......

So this was my final plan. And it's not looking so good now. A small thought says to pay shipping and have all 5 returned. I can sell one of the NHT B-20 amps easily. Then back to square one.

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I would experiment with that 8th order type enclosure, but using the 10" NHT drivers first.

CZ Eddie, I asked Kevin if they were Exodus drivers and he said no. He mentioned that a lot of companies use very similar parts. The more I searched, they look even more similar to the 15" Dayton Titanic driver.

Mayhem, one thing about my room that seems to be a must is that I need symmetry up front with the subs. Two up front and one in the back may work. But I was hoping to use the B-20's with the modified HP filter on these guys. So they won't be getting 800 watts.

As of right now, I can't complain at all about the first 3. I guess I just need to hope the inverted dust cap unit truly has the same specs and then send back the other one.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I would do a couple of dual-opposed boxes, assuming the one with the inverted cap is the same as the first 3. That way, you won't see the drivers at the same time--it won't matter if they look different.

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,154 Posts
Why not dress up your front wall,

Make a fabric false wall hiding all the speakers behind black GOM.

Make a Sheer-weave AT screen and place L/C/R speakers behind the screen

Build a sand filled stage.

Acoustically treat the front wall with full coverage and triangular bass traps in the corners

All of this will hide all your great work but it won't matter how it looks.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
+1. Dual opposed, sealed. Put the oddball to the back. Send the fifth one back.

·
Registered
985 Posts
I'll pull the TSPs for you, if you're ever near DC. Ohio isnt that far away.

If you want to do the Fathom look why not do it anyway with 4 drivers that seem to have the same surround? Either replace the one dustcap or build circular grilles just barely bigger than the drivers.

If you need someone to take those NHTs off your hands, let me know.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts