AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this topic has been broached before, but i just finished reading Widescreen reviews Subwoofers. Interesting reading, especially all of the introductory sections. Anyway, two of the big winners according to the review author were:

1) Bagend Infra18

2) Vandersteen 2WQ.

The reivews were done a couple years ago, so no mention of the forum-famous SVS unfortunately, but he did really like the Hsu VTF-2, in its price range.

Anyway, I'm shopping for a musical sub that will also do a nice job with HT. I'm not into listening at ultra high volumes so thats not as much a concern, but i do like the idea of going infrasonic. I've listened to the subs at my local audio store and thought they were nice but was not overly impressed (of course who knows about their tuning).

Ok so here goes:

1) In your opinon what is the best, musical sub in the under $2000 range

2) Any Bagend owners want to chime in with their thoughts?

3) How musical are the SVS ultra's? I've read the reviews, but was curious to hear what my fellow forumers thought..

Thanks!

·
Registered
565 Posts
Have you checked out the ACI Titan II LE or the forthcoming Maestro?

www.audioc.com

Preeminently musical.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
If you want musical, narrow your search to sealed (acoustic suspenson) subs. The Vandersteen definatley would be on a short list, as well as the ACI Titan, REL subs, etc.. Bipolar subs like the Mirage BPS400 should also be considered!

Good Luck!

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by thehun
describe musical.
Sounds good with classical music. (realizing that is a subjective term).

Also interested in "tight" and "not boomy", and just general comments ont he performance/impressions of Bagend and the SVS subs with music..

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Evan S
Have you checked out the ACI Titan II LE or the forthcoming Maestro?

www.audioc.com

Preeminently musical.
ooh looks cool. their other speakers look nice too. I'm not familiar with this line tho. i guess their order direct only?

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by audioguy
I owned two Bagend Infra 18's and thought they sucked for movies (no impact) but are probably really good for music...they do go low---VERY !!
Really! Wow definitely a different opinion than the widescreen reviewer thought. He made it sound like this was the mother of all subs...

Makes you wish there were high end audio superstore with every available speaker there to test...

·
Registered
605 Posts
CanO- you should talk to Mad Dog about the new UFW-10 that Onix has coming out. He has raved about how great it does with the Ref 1's.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Quote:
ooh looks cool. their other speakers look nice too. I'm not familiar with this line tho. i guess their order direct only?
Yes, they are direct order only. Do a search and you will come up with a number of great reviews from owners on this forum.

Specifically seek out posts from John Desmond, Kendrid and Mike Dzerko.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Not sure where your budget is, but the Revel B15 is one of, if not the one, the most musical subs period. It can also knock you on your A$$ if needed...

·
Registered
51 Posts
They are very musical and very respectable for HT as well, I'd recommend the HGS12II or the HGS15II, both would fit your requirements.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by hectic1
CanO- you should talk to Mad Dog about the new UFW-10 that Onix has coming out. He has raved about how great it does with the Ref 1's.
Being that I have done a fair amount of listening to the Alpha UFW-10, I would say the UFW-10 is definitely one of the subs you should be considering if you want a musical sub. Besides sounding incredible and having a respectable price....it will have a finish that most subs can not touch.

·
Premium Member
3,832 Posts
Quote:
If you want musical, narrow your search to sealed (acoustic suspenson) subs. The Vandersteen definatley would be on a short list, as well as the ACI Titan, REL subs, etc
The RELs are ported, thus failing your definition of musical.

IMO, a properly designed ported enclosure can be very musical. If extreme output is not a concern, I would certainly audition the Paradigm Servo-15. It will easily reproduce

·
Registered
331 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by avaholic
If you want musical, narrow your search to sealed (acoustic suspenson) subs. The Vandersteen definatley would be on a short list, as well as the ACI Titan, REL subs, etc.. Bipolar subs like the Mirage BPS400 should also be considered!

Good Luck!
Most REL subs are not sealed

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Greg_R
The RELs are ported, thus failing your definition of musical.

Greg,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the REL Strata III and Q models (I forgot to mention that, my bad) are not ported.

(P.S. that makes 5 of RELs 9 subs that are sealed.):)

In any case, I agree with you that a properly positioned ported sub can be very musical. I had a SVS that definately sounded good with music.

In general though, I was just stating that sealed subs are considered by many to be more musical then ported ones and "usually" less sensitive to room positioning. In any case there are many good choices sealed and ported, I was just trying to help narrow his search.

Best Regards,

Patrick

·
Registered
344 Posts
I own a pair of ACI Force subs. Fantastic subs! They go low, loud and clean. Most important to me, they integrate perfectly with my Sapphires. It is like one full-range system playing,there is no sense of separate bass sources. The quality of the bass is excellent. Acoustic bass lines and piano are among the best I've heard at any price. Well recorded Rock has the perfect punch and slam. I'd say that at around $800 they are easily the equal or superior to the REL Strata or Storms.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Can anyone tell me how or why the REL's are always mentioned as the most "musical" sub?

I always hear that but never a reason why.

I was about to purchase the Stentor III when I was advised that the downside to the REL "mucicality" is they are wimpy i.e. won't fill a large room, 10" driver...plus cost too much for what you get.

Would Velodyne HGS18 or SVS B4+ sound bad with music?

(Assume the usual for each: optimum setup, placement, etc )

Thanks

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for all the advice. Part of me is wondering if it would make sense to get 2 subs:

1) vandersteen 2wq for say 80HZ to 30hz -- tight and musical, but not as much imapct for HT.

2) SVS (16-) or some similar monster (Servo Contra Base?) Crossed over for 30Hz and lower.

Has anyone tried this (sorry if this has already been discussed, I'm a relative newbie to this stuff)?

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by cajunlab

I was about to purchase the Stentor III when I was advised that the downside to the REL "mucicality" is they are wimpy i.e. won't fill a large room, 10" driver
Well i'm gonna test drive the B15 at the local dealer ASAP along with some B&W speakers and I'll let you know. Looks pretty good on paper to me...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.