Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright - I'm upset.

I've been looking for what seems like forever. I know I want a big TV 50+ inches.... I have a small apartment which will one day i'll be moving to a larger one but for now my tv/living room is about 13x13 so a viewing max of about 10ft.

I went to circuit city today and sears. I wanted to check out the new 50inch LCD RPTV offerings from panasonic and hitachi as well as view what i consider ole faithful the hitachi crt rptv line (i honestly don't think i've seen one i didn't like in these 2 stores).

Circuit City:

They had the panasonic on display. It looked quite nice - although needed much work in the tweak department. My overall impression was high even though they were only running an instore SD feed through it (why on earty do they give the HD feeds to the likes of CRT Tubes - BLASPHMEY). My overall impression was that if what I read to be true the hitachi must have an overall better impression. I asked a sales person about the hitachi - they didn't even know what it was. finally after going through 2 other sales people i found out they don't have one in stock - but there is one at a CC an hour away. I asked when they would have one to see and/or purchase she said " give us one month and it should be here" *GASP*!!! okay.... sure....

Sears:

Again I'm disappointed. They have both the panasonic and the hitachi sets. both are priced at retail. They were not side by side, so i couldn't get a good comparison but they both seemed the same. the panasonics pq was much worse than the one viewed at CC. The hitachi was pushing greens and reds so bad it made the people on the screen look sick/nauseus. I just don't know what to do in order to get a good viewing. The Hitachi s500 crt rptv was right next to it's LCD counterpart and showboating all over it for $1000 less. The colors were inaccurate but very very vibrant (what I was expecting from the LCD's but not so).

Overall:

I'm quite dissappointed. I was hoping to somewhat figure out how and what i wanted to do within the next couple of weeks. This set will primarily be used to play video games (XBOX LIVE - ESPN FOOTBALL 24/7 right now :) and when halo2 comes out - there won't be enough hours in the day). I will also be watching simulcast HDTV via OTA for stuff like Football and CSI and the likes..... space is a serious issue, thus my interest in the LCD Rptv's but i'm very dissappointed in what i saw - although i must say that some of the pics you all post and your impressions have left me knowing that there is a solid pq coming from these sets - but i'm wary about dropping an extra grand on a set that is questionable in my mind. But then again I won't have to worry about burn in and reconvergence and considerable upkeep. And since my budget stops at the LCD level - DLP is pretty much out of the question unless they start dipping below the 3g mark for the 50's.

Oh well - I don't know what to do. I was hoping some of you wise people could advise me. Should I hold out and hopefully I'll see the LCD's the way they were meant to be seen or do I purchase what I consider to be the most consistent Tv i've seen as far as PQ - even in crappy store lighting - the S500 from hitachi and give up the room it takes to enjoy it?

I just need some encouragement/advice/suggestions or something, because i think i'm looking for perfection and i know i'm just not going to get it, but i want close!

Thanks!

P.S. sorry for the long post

·
Registered
95 Posts
I was in the same situation as you a few months ago. I was pretty much all set on getting a 51" SWX20B. But was hesitant because of how huge CRT RPTV's are (in terms of both thickness and weight... 200lbs!), burn-in, and convergence. And at that time, all other tV technologies were way too expensive. However, in comes the Panasonic 50" LC13. It had a great price at under $2500 (a slight bit more expensive than the 51" SWX20B), was slim, only weighs 85lbs, had no convergence/burn-in issues, and I really liked the PQ. So I went ahead and purchased it... took delivery a few days ago and couldn't be happier. It has a spectacular picture for DVD's and even the PQ using Tivo is quite acceptable. Overall, I'm super-happy with the purchase.

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
If you can stomach the wait (which is "indefinite" at this point, but I'm

optimistically betting on a 2Q '04 availability, based on nothing but

speculation on my part...), don't spend any money on a big screen tv until

you get a gander at the second generation Toshiba LCoS.

I've got a first generation one and LOVE the PQ... LOVE LOVE like you

wouldn't believe.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I own the Hitachi LCD. It can be tweaked to give an incredible picture.

The Panny has incredible inputs which might appeal to you because of your gaming needs. IF, you can live with the black levels.

At the price point and the size, LCD's are a must have for apartment dwellers. Plus the viewing angles are fantastic.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the replies thus far!

zvogt,

I would like to wait, but it's very hard. besides i don't think i will be able to afford LCoS. Weren't the first gen about 8grand? Besides that I have never been a huge fan of toshiba - although I'm not exactly a zealot either I happily pack up and switch camps depending on who produces a better product at the given time.

At any rate I just feel lost in my search. I want an awesome TV even though I am constrained by a budget. Am I insane about the LCD's I looked at? Was it just the way they were set up? They just looked flat out bad. grainy, inaccurrate colors, strong red and green push. I will give the pany at CC a little credit it looked "okay". Maybe I'm just too picky and should just make a decison and live with it and work with the set until i get it as good as i can get it.

thoughts/suggestions/advice

·
Coyote Waits
27,302 Posts
Sears and CC are among the worst locations to evaluate a TV. If I didn't have another (better) dealer to go to I would pick the one with the best return policy and do my evaluation at home.

I would try to make my best "guess" as to which one I wanted, but I wouldn't be bashful about returning it. I've heard that Sears has a 60 days no questions return policy. I think CC has the same but for 30 days.

If I couldn't pick the set up myself I would also check the delivery cost for a returned set.

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
The MSRP of the LCoS I have was $9,999 at the time,

then Tosh dropped it to $8,999 a few months later.

I paid under $6k (just a HAIR over $6k with delivery),

and I'd be pretty confident that the street prices for

the second wave will be around $4k-$4.5k for the 57 inchers

and about a grand more for the 65s.

But what other set offers 1920x1080p resolution,

or a 3-panel fixed pixel solution?

They are definitely worth seeing.

·
Registered
4,975 Posts
Opti,

I think either of those two sets can be made to look generally pretty good. I would not put too much stock in "the general consensus" of the Hitachi providing better PQ. Or blacks. True, it has black enhancement but using it blows all shadow gradient out the window. In a week or so you should be able to add the new Sony GWIII to your list as well. Looks like it has new LCD panels with purported increases in black level and contrast. List on the 50" is in same ball park with Panny and Hitachi.

Zac, all the LCD are three panel :). But not 1080p or course. If those 57" ever ship I'd be surprised to see them street that much off list. At least for some time anyway. Wasn't the last word that they were actually raising the MSRP up $500 to $5500? Personally I would love to see one. If Toshiba would ever ship the friggin' things :(

ron

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by R11
Opti,

I think either of those two sets can be made to look generally pretty good. I would not put too much stock in "the general consensus" of the Hitachi providing better PQ. Or blacks. True, it has black enhancement but using it blows all shadow gradient out the window. In a week or so you should be able to add the new Sony GWIII to your list as well. Looks like it has new LCD panels with purported increases in black level and contrast. List on the 50" is in same ball park with Panny and Hitachi.

ron
But those sonys are over a grand more than what i'm currently considering.

As for the other comments if the hitachi had the inputs the pany does it would be an easy solution. I really want to like the 2 sets. The pany is *999 here and the hitachi is *299. I was really hoping to get a very nice set for about 2500 out the door including tax - no shipping necessary - as i have a truck and friends.

If I were to purcahse either of the LCD's I wouldn't be able to until after xmas (because I don't know how much i'll spend of xmas gifts and i'll be getting money as well). That could change of course if I can figure out how to pull it off. I just need to have a little bit of money to work off of. But I could always buy on a 0% intrest if anyone is doing that of course.

Does anyone know if I open a sears account if i can get 10% off my tv purchase (for some reason I think not).

What would you all do in my situation? My primary concern is PQ. second is price and 3rd is size. size is a big issue and viewing angle as well. The lcd's just do so well with this i think even though lcd displays aren't the best they're up there.

·
Premium Member
10,419 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by optikill
...What would you all do in my situation? My primary concern is PQ. second is price and 3rd is size. size is a big issue and viewing angle as well. The lcd's just do so well with this i think even though lcd displays aren't the best they're up there.
Get the Sony and tweak the heck out of it.:)

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
but isn't the 50inch GWII or III like 4 grand? That's WAY WAY WAY out of my budget. I'm stretching myself at 3grand MAX.

·
Premium Member
10,419 Posts
Quote:
but isn't the 50inch GWII or III like 4 grand? That's WAY WAY WAY out of my budget. I'm stretching myself at 3grand MAX.
You should be able to get a 50" GWII for around that price if you can find one. I do not know how available they are. The MSRP on the old model is $3999.99 and the new model is $3289.99. I would not be surprised if the new Panasonic and Hitachi sets don't put some price pressure on these.

I would explain to the sales associate what you situation is and see what they can do for you.

·
Banned
463 Posts
Quote:

Does anyone know if I open a sears account if i can get 10% off my tv purchase (for some reason I think not).
CC has 24 months no interest promotion on all Hitachi's that ends 9/30...there you go!

·
Registered
11 Posts
There is a spectacular review of the Toshiba 57HL83 in the October issue of DVD ETC. The reviewer said it was superior to its predecessor. Does this mean the new set will be coming out shortly? Does anyone have any word on this. Thanks.

·
Coyote Waits
27,302 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by PQLover
There is a spectacular review of the Toshiba 57HL83 in the October issue of DVD ETC. The reviewer said it was superior to its predecessor. Does this mean the new set will be coming out shortly? Does anyone have any word on this. Thanks.
Not likely.

Not yet.

·
Registered
136 Posts
You should seriously look into the 42 inch GW3 when it comes out.......

Don't go too big........Besides the 42 inch isn't a crumb.....It is also under 3k........

The Hitachi looks nice too.......It's one of the most asthetically pleasing TV's I have seen. "Off" that is.....I would need to see it properly calibrated "on" tho.........It sure is bright tho.....

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
optikill, I feel your pain. I seem to always find something I don't like about these TVs that keeps me from buying:

Samsung DLP: motion dither artifacts

GWII: don't like casing

Panasonic LCD: veil effect

Hitachi LCD: lack of inputs

Philips LCOS: first generation too risky

So now I'm waiting for the GWIIIs to come out. I don't think I have a dealbreaking issue with the GWII other than the case design, so hopefully the GWIII will work for me. If not, I might have to resort to "eeny meeny, miney moe" and just be done with it. :D

BTW, I'm also planning on playing a lot of XBox on whatever I end up getting.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
thanks for the advice guys. I think i'm just gonna hold out. See what sony has to offer. Perhaps there will be some competition to drive pricing down a wee bit. If not then we can assume price fixing is occuring (very bad). At any rate, I don't think I want a CRT RPTV so my only choice is to lay low and strike when I can afford to do what I want and buy everything I need at once as well. This looks like at the very earliest - DEC.

I do appreciate everyone's time. For the time being I'm going to play the hell out of xbox live on my 13inch Sony wega ;-) (hey, it works). I'm going to continue to read the forums and learn all i can and read everyone's opinion so i can be educated on my search. Then hopefully I will be able to relax and rest in new tv bliss - while tweaking until my eyes are red ;-)

again thanks everyone.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
umr,

when does the new GW set come out? also, do you have link so i check out some of the specs? Do you think this set will be superior to the hitachi?

thanks

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.