AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, got a quieter case fan, heat sink and cpu cooler.

But that whiney ATI Radeon cooling fan is really bugging me now.

I seem to recall reading a fix for this, either replacing the fan or using a muffler, but I can't find it doing a search.

Radeon users - how do you quiet that fan?

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I don't have a radeon, but apparently the Zalman passive heatpipe coolers are supposed to work well. There are radeon 9700 Pros that come with them. No fan, no noise.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I installed the fanless zalman heatpipe thing. It'll cost you 1 pci slot but I really don't care... 5 is more than enough for me. It cools better than the stock cooler judging from oc results. I used arctic silver3 instead of the stuff zalman supplied, and I milled of the sides of the heatsink so that it fits inside the shim. Apparently it is also possible to remove the shim, although that will probalbly void you warrenty.

I must say I'm perfectly happy with this cooler, it's quiet (fanless, duh) and not so expensive (30euro or so). And perfect stability on my 9700 pro @380Mhz

regards

Bas

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have a 8500, what I did was disconnect the onboard fan, then used a zalman bracket, and a panaflo L1A running at 5v

I was a bit wary of voiding my warranty by replacing the heatsink, and this method was alot cheaper than the zalman heatpipe cooler that I would've needed to get otherwise.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looking at the Radeon 9700 - the sink/fan assembly looks like it's attatched via two plastic fasteners drilled through the board.

Any tips on removing the sink? Brute force ok, as long as it doesn't crush a capaciter or resistor?

·
Oppo Beta Group
11,636 Posts
If you have an older Radeon, 7500 or 9000 class a video color from PCPower and cooling works as a almost silent replacement fan.

I have used a number of these with no problems.

-- Rich

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
To remove those sinks that use epoxy, take a can of compressed air, turn it upside down, and spray the liquid onto the sink and surrounding board. That'll make it very easy to take off.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jvincent
The following thread has a good blow by blow.
To follow up on that particular installation: Since adding the Zalman the PC has been running 24x7 without a problem (so that's a little over 3 monhts now since the cooling change). The heatsink can get pretty warm if the video processor is busy but is still 'touchable', ie. it's less than 65C. Doesn't seem to bother the Radeon, it just keeps going. No problems either with the video tuner on there (it's an 9700 AIW).

-Rob-

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.