AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Connecting a player. For example, you could connect the audio output from a Blu-ray player to the inputs, if the player had an 8 channel output.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msullivan /forum/post/19526060

This may be a dumb question, but what type of audio could be passed through the inputs? Digital or all analog? Also is there an advantage using the inputs?

They are analog inputs.

As for it's purpose -

Consider buying a player, such a Blu-ray player which has internal decoding and multi-channel audio outputs. Seeing how your receiver can't decode something like Dolby TrueHD, it would allow you to play the Dolby TrueHD soundtrack from a movie.

·
Registered
29,113 Posts
Here is one way to explain it.

Say you buy a blu ray player but your receiver doesn't have any HDMI inputs. You could connect the BD player directly to your TV with HDMI for video. And if the player had 7.1 analog outputs you could connect it to your HK receiver for hi resolution audio.

I have a HK 325 receiver with the same inputs. I use a Pioneer 51FD blu ray player. I connect the Pioneer directly to my LCD TV for video with HDMI and use the 7.1 outs of the BD player and connect to the 8 channel input on the receiver for audio. Works very well.

·
Registered
29,113 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msullivan /forum/post/19526098

So they kind of future proofed it on the audio side?

You cant really say it is future proofed now because less and less devices have 7.1 outputs. The number of BD players with this is limited and now many new receivers dont have 7.1 inputs anymore.

Everything is going towards HDMI.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
I would not like buying an AVR without MC inputs. You never know what will change a few years down the road, and it's nice to have the option, IMO.

·
Registered
203 Posts

Quote:
Say you buy a blu ray player but your receiver doesn't have any HDMI inputs.

Or suppose your blu-ray player and TV support 3D, but your receiver doesn't. You could run analog cables from the player to your receiver and hdmi to your TV.

Quote:
You cant really say it is future proofed now because less and less devices have 7.1 outputs. The number of BD players with this is limited and now many new receivers dont have 7.1 inputs anymore.

Future proofing generally refers to preparing for devices you haven't bought yet. While many/most BD players might not have 7.1 outputs, some do. When it comes time to purchase one (or some other device), if you want analog outputs, you will look for a player that supports that.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts