AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, this past weekend and this week my wife has off. She finished teaching a Summer session and pretty soon she'll be back teaching Chemistry for the Fall semester. I figured she isn't anywhere near as critical on viewing of PQ as I am (stated as much), so I decided I'd be nice and tolerate the general public on someone else's terms. Scary.

So, we decide to go see Wedding Crashers at the Regal Mall of Georgia 20. Its being shown in two pillboxes almost simultaneously (10-minutes apart). We get there early (per our old usual routine), no lines and glad to get a good seat. Watching other patrons come in is rewarded with mostly couples. Of course, there was one case of a young couple (about 20) that decided their convenience was worth more to them then everyone else's convenience and pushed a stroller into the rheater with a baby that could have been a year old. What are grandparents for again?

Anyway, we are sitting there whispering to one another and the theater begins its MANDATORY 20-minutes (that's right, 20-minutes) of commercials. No, not movie trailed, but commercials. So, its our option to a) give up our seats and spend 20-minutes outside the theater, b) sit there and be sold on kiddy-sh!t (a la the MTv 90's generation), or c) click our heals and say, "there's no place like home, there's no place like home." So, we clicked away, dreaming of Ruby-shoes escape.

Ok, twenty of the longest minutes in Hell go by and now we have the assault of the movie trailers. Sorry, I much, much prefer just going on Apple's website and having a look at what is to come. I don't need the snap, crackle, and pop, of poorly edited (at this theater) of uber-spliced trailers. Its annoying, and how many of those trailers do you remember post feature film? Especially if you are of the 90's MTv generation with your 30-second attention span?

Ok, on with the feature. Now, I like the current frat gang in Hollywood. Their kind of assault on femenism is amusing, and a nice break from the daily 'yes dear' environment. What's more entertaining is my wife like these guys as well. She loved The Anchorman, can you believe that? So, I'm sitting their with the DW watching the film and my little analytical mind goes off and notices something strange about the picture.

No, the image isn't dim, but rather the opposite. This projected image is so f'ing bright that everything is bloomed. Hell, the black tux's are mid-gray! The whites have zero detail. And when talking about white fluted columns of marble, it takes a rediculous amount of incorrect exposure to come up this sour. Was it me, was it the presentation, or was it the film? I'm hoping its the presentation (wouldn't surprise me) because anything exposed this badly means that someone should be blacklisted in H'wood for it.

Ok, what about the movie. We loved it! And being a guy (ahem, dog) I was enchanted with Rachel McAdams and infactuated with Isla Fisher. But, this isn't to say that Jane Seymore, Grrrrowl, wasn't entertaining (would you have touched them?), too.

Anyway, aside from the flick itself the end result was that we spent time rubbing elbows with the public and now that it is out of our system will wait another year before considering doing it again. For the money, we could have just waited and bought the DVD.

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
IMO a lot of the negative aspects of your experience are theater-related. Last public film I attended was the first run of the Return of the King (late in the run) at the (then-new) AMC theater on Sugarloaf Parkway. (I forget the name of the mall. It's the one with the Pro Bass Shop in it.)

Large theater, comfy seats. Nice crowd. Decent sound, very nice presentation. As I recall, a standard AMC theater ad, 2-3 trailers (I generally enjoy trailers), and the feature.

You don't like the theater? Don't go there again. But there are options.

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, a lot of them were theater-related, like their projected image. :) Let's put it this way, I could have popped the DVD into the player and watched it at night on my almost five year old RPTV and gotten a better picture.

And I hadn't been to that theater in about a year, which should tell you I go for the wife and not for me. I now do 99% of my viewing at home. I just wanted to report that things haven't changed for the better.

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
I don't even like the IMax at the Mall of Georgia theater. The picture and sound are awesome, but the seats will give you arthritis in 45 minutes!

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Heh, I went to see Mr and Mrs Smith a couple of weeks ago before my youngest daughter was born. It was an 11:30am showing so my wife and I had the movie theater to ourselves and one other person, pretty cool.

However, I was getting frustrated by a line down the screen about 2/3 from the left that was the edge of a projector overlay that was reducing the contrast of the image. Turns out they had a projector on that was off center (partly showing on the wall itself!) and about 1/2 through the movie the computer (DELL) crashed and rebooted into a verbose booting mode that was shall I say quite a bit distracting from the movie since it was overlaying 2/3 of the screen!

Fortunately we had free tickets and the movie was a lot of fun. It will probably be another few years before I go back to a public movie theater again. I just find that unless its a first rate movie screen / sound setup, my setup is better at home. PLUS I can pause the movie... :b

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
I make it a practice to jump up and run out of the hall when there are problems with the movie. Very few booths are attended nowadays, and the "projectionist" may have no idea that there's a problem. I have invariably found that the theater personnel are more than happy to make adjustments, including nudging the volume up or down (IMO the most common problem).

·
Registered
343 Posts
Saw Wedding Crashers last week at an AMC. First movie in a while so I expected lots of ads...but not bad at all. AMC spot, around 4 trailers (i like trailers), then movie. Lowes near me is a lot worse, but i stopped going there two years ago for that reason.

ArtT

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
The post was too long to actually read, so I'll just go with my gut and say that I agree with you, the theater experience sucks.

Stew

·
Registered
24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtT
Saw Wedding Crashers last week at an AMC. First movie in a while so I expected lots of ads...but not bad at all. AMC spot, around 4 trailers (i like trailers), then movie. Lowes near me is a lot worse, but i stopped going there two years ago for that reason.

ArtT
It's the same in Chicago.. The AMC's are all pretty decent and the Lowe's need improvement.. We got free tickets to see Devils Rejects at Lowe's last week and this family that just walked out of the jerry springer show decided to sit in front of us.. They brought their 4 year old daughter to see it to also... (that's just sooo wrong).. AMC gets crowded also but less families seem to go there. (I wonder if its the 50cents more ticket price?)

·
Banned
533 Posts
It's a simple choice. Watch the flick in the comfort of your own home with better pic and sound, or listen to some mammoth behind you open their fifth snack (with obligatory extra-crinkly wrapper - why aren't those banned yet?), or the old people in front of you holding a conversation about their gastrointestinal issues like it's dinner time at their house. :mad:

Big, noisy, dialogue-irrelevant movies are about all I go to see anymore, because it drowns all of that out.

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How anyone in Hollywood thinks a viewer is suppose to experience anything near what the producer, directior, and sound engineer intended you to experience is anyone's guess. I'm surprised they are not making sub-VGA mono-tracked pillbox flicks considering the viewing environment.

And then the studios act completely surprised when less people go to the pillboxes and watch more at home. Duh

·
Registered
3,565 Posts
We have a statdium-style converted theater near us as well as a new theater. The older one (only about 10-12 yrs old) play a lot more crap before the movie starts...

...neither has the bass I am looking for...

·
Banned
459 Posts
This is why we do the HT thing anyway.

I pretty much only go to see movies at the Arclite Hollywood(old Cineramadome). Assigned seating, no late seating, and the higher ticket prices keep most of the rip-raff out. The new seats they put in are a little small, but since i am useally leaning over to my wife it's no prob.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
I wonder if the increased percentage of annoying audience members at a theater is due to the more sophisticated among society viewing at home?...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by miltimj
I wonder if the increased percentage of annoying audience members at a theater is due to the more sophisticated among society viewing at home?...
No, it's simply because people are getting less intelligent and more selfish. Let's not complicate the issue here ;).

·
Registered
131 Posts
i dont know.. i have the ht at home, but there is no replacing "going out" to a movie, plus some movies are just to good to wait for dvd, i hate going to work and someone or I says "hey i just seen 'said movie' and it was awesome" just to have someone else say "im gonna wait till it comes out on dvd" but then again the theaters here arnt as bad as some of you that may be in big cities are complaining about. With that being said i do agree with the wrapper issue. what the heck is with that, you cant even buy noiser candy at the store.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I'm with you suprfly4whtguy. I may whine and complain about it, but the real movie experiences is in a room with 2000 chairs and the din of crunching popcorn. In fact, tonight I'm going to drive 40 miles to see Broken Flowers at an AMC near DC.

A couple of things I've noticed lately:

Projectionists have lost the ability to frame and focus a movie. It amazes me how much movie is projected into the mask at my local theaters.

More and more, the crowds have lost touch with manners. It's not just the talking, crying babies and the cell phones. People seem to think there's nothing wrong with putting their feet up over the chair in front of them. Kids have made the local theaters the new hangout after the Mall ran them off. So now they sit there texting each other and then running between theaters when they've heard little Johnny is in the next theater over.

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
JamesO -

I agree, but I think it goes deeper than that. I think the problem is that kids today have NO attention span. When I was in grade school, we had 30 kids in the class and HAD to sit still for two hours at a time. Movies USED to be 2 hours. Then 90 minutes. Now 87. Most Disney animateds are 70-80 minutes. I have yet to see moving picture of Brittany that lasted more than TWO SECONDS. I was so annoyed by this that I started counting. The camera NEVER stays on her for more than TWO SECONDS at a time. How can you expect kids to still for NINETY MINUTES anymore?!

That, and it would hurt their self esteem to be told that they are annoying other paying customers.

Just my crumudgedly opinion.

Tom

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Hmm, seems like there are other trends too, with movies actually getting LONGER. LoTR and other movies like that are pushing past the three hour limit regularly...

Which makes another reason for me to watch them at home on DVD!

:D

·
Registered
175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlogan6797
JamesO -

I agree, but I think it goes deeper than that. I think the problem is that kids today have NO attention span. When I was in grade school, we had 30 kids in the class and HAD to sit still for two hours at a time. Movies USED to be 2 hours. Then 90 minutes. Now 87. Most Disney animateds are 70-80 minutes. I have yet to see moving picture of Brittany that lasted more than TWO SECONDS. I was so annoyed by this that I started counting. The camera NEVER stays on her for more than TWO SECONDS at a time. How can you expect kids to still for NINETY MINUTES anymore?!

That, and it would hurt their self esteem to be told that they are annoying other paying customers.

Just my crumudgedly opinion.

Tom

You may well be right about attention spans. Although truth be told, I'm not up for sitting through Reds or The Postman again. The older I get, the quicker I become aware of my backside in crappy theater seating!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.