AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after reading tryg's review, thought what the hell I'm game for a $4 can of spraypaint. I'm using an X1 with an 8' on a white wall and suffer from too much daylight. Looks fantastic @ night.

Anyway, I found some goodness and badness. These are my uneducated opinions, YMMV.

First, this stuff is hard to get flat. I painted several surfaces, none which would be suitable long term.

Second, the texture makes a huge difference, mostly to gain. The rough backside of a 2' square panel of MDF was about right, the flat front side boosted too much if thats possible. It's almost a mirror. Cardboard was ok also. More texture seemed better.

Third, this stuff does affect colors. Blues and especially greens just pop out. reds are about the same. The problem I have is with bright colors - yellow is diffucult to tell from white. Bright green (some of the menus in media center) are difficult to tell from white text on it. I played with mspaint fullscreen for while, just seeing what different colors did. It's a bit disturbing that there is a significant difference in colors between the white wall and the painted surface. The surfaces change colors, and not always in good ways. I supposed you could tweak this out pretty easily with avia or whatnot. Also an interesting test is visualizations in windows media player - lots of colors on black spinning across the surfaces.

Lastly, brightness - all surfaces really did gain, lots. Much more viewable with bright ambient light. Unfortuately, the blacks were hammered pretty hard. I couldn't get them to look like the blacks on the white wall no matter how mich fiddling I did with the projector. Also unfortunately I found a problem with my setup or PJ where pixels in dark areas switch when theplayback is paused. It says something that I didn't see this on the white wall and now it's driving me nuts.

Anyway, if I go this route, I'll probably just order a vutec screen and let the pros deal with getting it right.

It's a color accuracy and dimnished black level vs. use in high ambient light battle. Not sure who will win yet.

Chris

·
Registered
637 Posts
Good job getting to this project fast and nice review. What would you say the viewing cone is with this stuff?

I have painted some samples of the same aluminum and have come to a similar conclusion about the surface and gain. After spending a lot of time with different spray techniques I am not too confident that I could make a 100"er that would be consistent and not hot spot. Due to the low cost of this stuff I think that it deserves more testing.

In my case I have a hot spot advantage since I am going with a single curved screen (35' radius) but I won't have the advantage of using a premade screen material so any DIY will have to work whether it is GOO or Rustoleum or even white if none of these fancy paints don't do it.

Quote:
Originally posted by christur
Unfortuately, the blacks were hammered pretty hard. I couldn't get them to look like the blacks on the white wall no matter how mich fiddling I did with the projector.

With any digital projector black is not really black and when you use a high gain screen the gain is not just for what you want it to be for, as it turns out the "black" is also brighter. Contrast ratio does not change though it might look like it. This would make a great daytime viewing screen surface...

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd say that it looked similar in brightness (to the white wall) at about 30-45 deg. off access, and degraded after that. So the cone is pretty good. At more extreme angles, it's like a black hole in the middle of my white screen.

LOL, this could be my "day screen!" The wife would love that.

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
As I said. things colorshift. Especially aluminum.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by brothermaynard

With any digital projector black is not really black and when you use a high gain screen the gain is not just for what you want it to be for, as it turns out the "black" is also brighter. Contrast ratio does not change though it might look like it.
Would this be especially true of the High Power screen surface?!

I'm still on the fence.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Just a note has anyone tried to use Krylon Dull Alluminum? Just woundering.

·
Registered
637 Posts
BSN, it is true of any surface, they can not choose what to reflect, yet. The High Power can have a good effect on ambient light rejection due to it's narrow viewing cone, though this can be bad if you have a very wide seating area. The contrast ratio will not be as hammered as it would be with high ambient light and a white screen. No screen will make the CR higher, they are all just trying to play damage control.

Wow, these things are hard to put into words and be half way accurate!

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have a can on my desk as I type. I plan to paint a 2sq ft test card this weekend and test it on my benq 8700. I like the look of this paint and as it is flat the ablity to get even appearance via the spray can is a possibility in my experience with flat spray cans.

Any one else try Krylon Dull Aluminum # 1403 yet?

Best,

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
if all you want is absolute black level... get a grey screen.

However as gain goes up...so does percieved contrast. At least to me.

Black might be higher but everything else is much much brighter. The result is an image that snaps off the screen. This simple doesn't happen with a lower gain screen.

get the high power

Perception is everything. Not measurements from a meter

·
Registered
33 Posts
Tryg,

Thanks for all of your research. I have enjoyed all of your research and presentation work on screens.

I think I agree with your concepts very much. The proof is in how it hits you.

Your discussion on diy silver screens were so encouraging to me, I went and got several cans of paint to try.

I don't care as much about absolute blacks as I do great snappy color and bright whites. I'm a newbe with what I think is a good projector in the benq 8700.

My big question here is about gloss surfaces and hot spotting. And flat (dull) surfaces. In aluminum/silver metallics do the gloss and dull finishes behave very differently or are they similar when viewed in a projector?

Thanks,

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.