AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
953 Posts
Here are a couple of pics of my latest pair of Veracity HT3's. someone bought the last pair I built about three days after I finished. I'm hoping to hang on to these a while longer.

But just in case, I'm starting three more pairs. One will be curly african cherry with madrone burl hardwood front baffles. The second pair will be english sycamore with maple burl front baffles and the third will be determined this evening.

Here are the pics:

http://www.salksound.com/gallery/ht3-fidmahog.jpg

Close up of front baffle:

http://www.salksound.com/gallery/ht3-fidmahog-cu.jpg

- Jim

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
Oh man! Those are gorgeous!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Ok, I need to know how much those HT-3's cost. They are great looking and I'm excited about the sound... I need to prep the wife for these bad boys.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
I was browsing the site, saw the thread and thought I throw in my two cents.

First off, I should say that I'm am currently in the process of ordering a pair from Jim - bottom line is that his Veracity speakers are the best monitors that I could find for under $5700. The clarity, soundstage and accuracy throughout the range are all incredibly impressive. I've had a pair in my home now for a couple months while I've been waiting for mine and can't get enough of listening to them.....and this from someone who previously wasn't particularly into audio, though enjoyed music.

Unfrotunately, I came pretty late to finding Jim and had been in the process of hunting for speakers for almost 10 months. I visited virtually every high end audio store in the Chicago area and listened to perhaps 20-25 monitor in the $1200-5000 price range. I started the process thinking I'd get decent speakers and be done with it. BUT, then I realized that if I'm bothering to do it I should do it right and that very luckily my budget was flexible (helps to justify it as part of a new house, gut job with new furniture, etc.) and that I would buy the best speakers I could justify for the money....I had good equipment in the past (Harmon Kardon, Denon, Pioneer Elite, NHT speakers, etc.) but figured that going somewhere in the middle didn't make sense - either get something passible that sounded pretty good but wouldn't stand up to critical listening or get something which hit the quality point such that I'd really have to push it on the price side and my ability to differentiate to get anything better.

I decided on a used Bryston 4bsst amp (tank with great reputation for neutrality and with a 20 yr warranty a no brainer used) and an Anthem AVM-30 processor and for a sub, a Rel Storm III (just out did the more conventional subs I demoed speakers with).

I probably spent 40-50 hours over a good number of months listening to speakers - Monitor Audio, JM Lab, Revel, B&W, Linn, Polk, NHT, Totem, Vienna Accoutics, Sonus Faber, Red Rose, Dynaudio, Aurum Cantus and on and on......

What I realized after all this listening is that I had narrowed down to Dynaudio Special 25s at $4500 and Red Rose Rosebuds at $3500 and then decided to order the Rosebuds, but to my disappointment and ultimate luck, they were backordered and after 8 months I started looking again, but knew that I really liked the sound of the ribbon tweeter in the Rosebuds..... after doing some research I learned that Aurum Cantus was somewhat of an OEM for Red Rose and so I figured I'd try the Leisure 3se at $1400....a bit more research led me to Jim's website and between his use of the G2 ribbon and a great woofer - as well as the speakers being perhaps the best looking speakers I've ever seen for under $15000 - I knew I had to try those as well.....

I got the Rosebuds, Aurum Cantus and Veracitys in at the same time and spent 30 days comparing them and getting to know them as well as doing test listening sessions for a number of friends (among them a professional violinist and a multi grammy award winning jazz pianist).....

Well, after getting to know the speakers it became clear where they fell out..... the Aurum Cantus were absolutely incredible for the price - beautiful, stunning finish in fact - probably the best speakers I've ever heard in that price range and the smaller version is only $1000...., but given that my "budget" didn't stop there, I felt they would be a compromise because they lacked a bit of the high end detail in Jim's and the Rosebuds as well as the mid-range detail of Jim's (that was the biggest difference in my perspective)....I just didn't feel the music in the same way...

The Rosebuds, also beautiful speakers, were not quite as impressive in my home against these two speakers as they had been when I was auditioning speakers back when and they blew away the competition. They were marvelous speakers with great detail and soundstage, but I felt they rolled off the highs a bit and pushed the mid, though with good clarity.

The Veracity's did everything better - better broader soundstage, better detailed transparent highs and incredible mid range detail and even for monitors a very nice low end (even with my Rel off). When I had my friends in to listen I didn't reveal my biases and each one came to the conclusion that Jim's speakers were the best. In fact the Jazz pianist, had it pegged almost immediately as much superior and was incredibly impressed overall - he basically saw the difference as night and day, though I thought they were all a bit closer than he did.

I did go back and relisten to the Dynaudio Special 25s to double check my perspective, though without a home audition and wasn't nearly as impressed with them as I had been 10 months earlier and before I had listened to the Veracitys.

It was clear that at around $2000 (more with my choices of wood, etc.) that Jim's speakers were better than the $3500 competition and $4500 competition.... and really the best monitors I had heard period (though I couldn't find the $6500 JM Lab monitors to listen to anywhere in Chicago and there may have been 1-2 other monitors I had researched and wanted to listen to but couldn't find). I did then wander into a store in Chicago that sold Linn and listened to a pair of Linn at $5700 a pair - I was definitely impressed and it was the first time that I'd heard anything approach Jim's speakers...after 30 days of listening I knew what I wanted to hear on various tracks and heard a lot of that with the Linn (though the room they had was terrible - surprise given the cost of the speakers they sell), but at almost 3x the money it wasn't worth a second thought.

I should add that I have now had two different pairs with different finishes and the workmanship is amazing - absolutely better looking in person than even on the website!!!

All that being said, there was another thing that really clinched it and that was dealing with Jim..... through e-mail at first, then talking on the phone, then in person when he passed through Chicago and then by e-mail again - just a great guy all around who really cares about what he is doing and doing a great job of it, is willing to stand behind his work (when I asked about the length of the warranty, the response was something to the effect of "well, for as long as I'm around" - doesn't get better than that) and he is clearly willing to spend time on questions and detail (and probably quite annoying for him, my and my wife's utter indecision over finish which delayed things a bit) - all for what I have found to be very rare in the audio world an AMAZINGLY great value. I just really like doing business with someone like Jim.

..... I even really wish I had room for his floorstanding three ways as well...maybe in the future.....

So far a great experience and one I was lucky to fall into by finding a thread on the internet about beautiful speaker cabinets..... I am actually getting a modified version of the Veracity which is a bit smaller with a sealed (not ported) cabinet because given my in home application and spacing (mostly from the interior decorator/wife factor), the Veracitys were just a bit too big and I couldn't have them sufficiently out from the wall to work the port properly).

Now I just can't wait until mine arrive!!!

·
Registered
953 Posts
chirpie -

Dan is still in the wood/veneer selection process so I won't start building his pair for at least a week or so.

But Santa is going to be very nice to Jim Nugnes this year. Here is a pic of some new home theater speakers that will ship to him today.

http://www.salksound.com/gallery/V18HT.jpg

He will use the Veracity HT1's for the left and right, along with a Veracity Center Channel and two sealed 1801's for rear surrounds. I'm obviously biased, but I auditioned it last night and the sound was sensational.

Although you can't see the detail in this photo, the cabinets were done in fiddleback anegre and Jim requested satin black front baffles.

- Jim

·
Registered
60 Posts
Jim,

That last pair looks pretty interesting. I've never heard speakers with a single full range driver. What do you consider the pluses and minuses of that setup (other than what I would figure would be the plus of not having to deal with a crossover)?

Also, I realized yesterday how much the Veracitys have spoiled me. It had been a while since I listened to anything in the master bedroom where I have some older Atlantic Technology speakers that I had generally liked in the past and now they sounded so bad that it really bothered me.... hmm, might have to come up with something with you on the moderately priced side to replace those in the new year......

--Dan

·
Registered
953 Posts
Dan -

This particular single driver (the Jordan JX92S) does a very nice job in the midrange. This relatively high sensitivity speaker was designed by Dr. Jim Griffin and won first place at the Atlanta DIY event in 2002.

It is a good monitor for smaller rooms and moderate volume levels. With a 5.5" driver, it lacks the bottom end extension of many bookshelf speakers and is somtimes used with a super tweeter to augment the high end detail. This, however, can be said of most single driver speakers. This year, Dr. Griffin designed a 2-way version using a G2si tweeter for the top end.

This speaker has no crossover, per se, but does have an inductor/capacitor combo for 3 db of baffle step compensation.

- Jim

·
Registered
953 Posts
This was an interesting project. Jerry Morrison loved the Heil driver that was somewhat popular in the '80's.
http://www.salksound.com/gallery/HeilDriver.jpg

But his wife would not let him purchase ESS Heil speakers because she thought the bass modules were ugly. So he contacted me about designing a pair of speakers incorporating the Heil drivers.

Dennis Murphy and I decided to use a pair of Seas L22's on each side. The result was not as sensitive as it could have been, but the drivers worked well within Jerry's budget.

Since the Heil driver is a di-pole driver, the top was a challenge since it required grills all around. There are grills for the woofer section as well, but they weren't done when this picture was taken.

http://www.salksound.com/gallery/heil-walnut.jpg

It was a fun little diversion.

I'm close to finishing a pair of Veracity HT3's in English sycamore with spalted American sycamore front baffles. I'll post some pics when completed in about a week or so.

- Jim

·
Registered
953 Posts
Scarab33 -

Are you talking about the TC Sounds 10" woofer in the Veracity HT3?

If so, it is extremely musical. I searched for about 10 months for the right woofer for this project. I tried Peerless, Adire and a number of other drivers and was not happy with the results. Either they were not able to cross high enough (about 300 Hz), or there was a severe hump in response at about 70Hz, or they just couldn't handle the amount of power I wanted.

So I contacted the engineers at TC Sounds and discussed the project with them. They built some prototypes and they were perfect. The only problem is that I had to order a manufacturing run in order to get them.

They have an XMAX of 21mm and a huge motor structure. The aluminum cone is very light weight resulting in a very fast driver. They perform very well from about 29Hz to the crossover point (in-room response is obviously even lower). And they are extremely low in distortion. You can drive these speakers very hard with no hint of distortion.

I feel they are a perfect match for the Seas W18 and the G2 ribbon. The speakers are essentially ruler flat (within 1 1/2db from 34Hz to 25Hz). The frequency response is 29Hz to 40kHz +/- 3db.

I am very pleased with the sound quality. Those who have heard the speakers agree. In fact, they won first place in the "Unlimited Class" at the Iowa DIY 2004 speaker competition in late October (their first public showing).

I hope this answers your question. If, on the other hand, you are talking about the L22 8" drivers in the Heil design above, they are from the Seas standard line and perform very well for their cost.

- Jim

·
Registered
173 Posts

Originally posted by jsalk

Scarab33 -

Are you talking about the TC Sounds 10" woofer in the Veracity HT3?

If so, it is extremely musical. I searched for about 10 months for the right woofer for this project. I tried Peerless, Adire and a number of other drivers and was not happy with the results. Either they were not able to cross high enough (about 300 Hz), or there was a severe hump in response at about 70Hz, or they just couldn't handle the amount of power I wanted.

So I contacted the engineers at TC Sounds and discussed the project with them. They built some prototypes and they were perfect. The only problem is that I had to order a manufacturing run in order to get them.

They have an XMAX of 21mm and a huge motor structure. The aluminum

Is that measured one way or peak to peak ?

cone is very light weight resulting in a very fast driver. They perform very well from about 29Hz to the crossover point (in-room response is obviously even lower). And they are extremely low in distortion. You can drive these speakers very hard with no hint of distortion.

I feel they are a perfect match for the Seas W18 and the G2 ribbon. The speakers are essentially ruler flat (within 1 1/2db from 34Hz to 25Hz). The frequency response is 29Hz to 40kHz +/- 3db.

Why not the 10" Exel W26FX001 ? Wouldnt that be a more detailed tunefull bass ? It seems like comparing a servo controlled Velodyne to a Rel ? Is this speaker geared more towards HT ?

·
Registered
953 Posts
Scarab33-

21mm is peak-to-peak.

As for the Seas W26, I did look at that (and many others). I don't recall, off-hand, speciafically why I ruled out that particular driver. But, as I recall, there was a hump in the response at around 150Hz and the bass extension was not what I was looking for. There are several Scan Speak drivers that performed better in that regard.

In terms of detail and "tunefull-ness," no one who has heard these speakers has had any comments except "tight, well-controlled" bass. If there was any lack of musicality in this regard, I can assure you I would have continued my search. In the end, these drivers met every one of my criteria.

In the end, you need to judge performance in context of the total design. Alan Sull did a rather extensive review of this design on audioreview.com.
Here is a link.

- Jim

·
Registered
173 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jsalk
Scarab33-

21mm is peak-to-peak.

As for the Seas W26, I did look at that (and many others). I don't recall, off-hand, speciafically why I ruled out that particular driver. But, as I recall, there was a hump in the response at around 150Hz and the bass extension was not what I was looking for. There are several Scan Speak drivers that performed better in that regard.

Its sounds like over-kill to me. This is a clip from the reveiw you pointed me towards. Would you offer that speaker with the W26 ? And if so, how much more would it be ? Take it to email ?

"The TC Sounds woofer in the HT3’s is so powerful that you absolutely need to get them set up right, or else you will suffer room mode issues. In my auditioning, I had to toy around with rear distance to the wall a bit, and while the bass quality was superb at lower/medium volumes, at higher volumes the untreated room modes got in the way"

In terms of detail and "tunefull-ness," no one who has heard these speakers has had any comments except "tight, well-controlled" bass. If there was any lack of musicality in this regard, I can assure you I would have continued my search. In the end, these drivers met every one of my criteria.

See above...

In the end, you need to judge performance in context of the total design. Alan Sull did a rather extensive review of this design on audioreview.com.
Here is a link.

- Jim

·
Registered
953 Posts
Scarab33 -

He went on to say that, "This was a setup issue, not a speaker flaw, but one worth mentioning to prospective users of ANY full-range reference speaker."

I would certainly entertain producing a version with the W26, but the drivers are about the same cost, so there wouldn't really be any savings involved.

If you would like to discuss it, please feel free to email me at [email protected] .

- Jim

·
Registered
953 Posts

·
Registered
4,283 Posts
Hey Jim, quick question...

I was poking around the website and was wondering what the specs were on the Veracity HT1? I saw specs posted for the HTS speaker lines (I.E. the specifications like size of the speaker, average impendance, and response...) but not for any of the other speakers. Am I just not looking in the right place?

(I'm mostly interested in the size of the Veracity HT1 and HT3)

Thanks!

41 - 60 of 133 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.