AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
121 - 133 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
TFS and all admirers of Jim's speakers,

Jim sent me the photo of the veneer in its raw, unfinished state.

You can see the veneer here-
http://www.salksound.com/toro/veneer.jpg

About the unusual look to the veneer this is what he wrote-

Here is a picture of a section of the curly walnut veneer. It has no

finish on it, so the contrast would be greater and the color darker when

finished.

But you can see the "feature" I was trying to describe to you. It is about

40% down from the top of the picture and the grain "shifts" to form a

ridge. I was thinking that it might look good to have this shift applied

where the cabinet begins to taper. However, the sheets are long enough so

I can cut them to completely avoid this part of the sheet.

I can't wait to see them finished.

Regards,

Fred

·
Registered
211 Posts
Hey Fred. I don't have any experience working with wood, stains etc. so it's hard for me to picture what the finished veneers will look like from the pic. It will be interesting to me to see how Jim transforms that into one of his "master pieces". Enjoy the process and keep posting pics as you get them. It will be worth the relatively long wait once you have you new speakers singing.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jsalk
For those who might be interested, Zybar recently held a "Rave" comparing the HT3's to the VMPS RM-40's and posted a thread on the topic in the NY Rave Audio Circle. Here's the URL: http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/v...er=asc&start=0

- Jim
I haven't had time to write a real review of the HT3's, but as you could see in the linked thread, I am very happy with the speakers and they aquitted themselves quite well.

In fact, I like them so much, I will be having Jim build a second (more custom) pair in beautiful waterfall bubinga.

To put the sound in some context...a friend who has the Vandy 5A's was recently over and he thought the bass was a tad more dynamic and visceral from the HT3's and was pretty close to the 5A's in most other areas. Having heard his system, I would agree and offered this analogy:

The 5A's are a BMW M5, a tremdous package of luxury and power...while the HT3's are a BMW M3, a little more "raw" with some bite and excitement.

In no way is this saying anything negative about the HT3's, just lack slightly in overall refinement and the smallest nueances in comparison.

Quite an accomplishment for a speaker that lists for about 1/4 the price of the 5A's. :D

Lastly, Jim is a pleasure to deal with and really understands what customer service means.

Hmmm...let's see, great looks, great sound, and great customer service - what's the catch? None that I know of!

George

·
Registered
145 Posts
George,

Enjoy them.

You mentioned that the next pair will have waterfall Bubinga veneer. What wood will it also use for the baffle and plinth?

Regards,

Fred

·
Premium Member
738 Posts
I'm very close to pulling the trigger on a set of HT1s for my 7.1 system.

Is there anything else out there that I will kick myself later for not having considered?

Facts:
  • My room is 2650 cubic feet in volume.
  • Subwoofer duties will soon be handled by an infinite baffle, 4 x 15"
  • I like the 'neutrality' and detail of ribbon tweeters.
  • I like my midbass strong and crunchy.
  • I use the room for music (psy-trance, metal, classical, whatever), games, and movies. Let's say 25%/30%/45%, respectively.
  • I don't currently have enough channels of amplification for it, but I intend to move to an active (bi or tri-amped) configuration in the future.
  • I don't really care what my speakers look like, but if 'nice' is an option, I wouldn't opt for 'ugly'.
My budget is $2000 or less per pair, cheaper is better.

DIY is an option I'm willing to explore, but I recognize the value of expertise and experience, and I don't mind paying for it.

·
Registered
211 Posts
With the salks you'll get both good looks and high quality sound. The HT1s have great midbase, really cleared up some issues for me. They do need a good subwoofer though and they'll benefit from plenty off good clean power. These speakers tend to disappear in the room, they are very smooth. The real downside is that they tend to expose badly recorded source material. There are so many options out there that I wont even go there. Whether you'll kick yourself is up to you. IMO you will not kick yourself for owning Salks.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Just a quick note to let everyone know that price increases will go into effect June 1st. It will be a minimum of 10% on most models and perhaps a little more on some.

For those who are consdiering purchases in the near future, there is an option to put down a small deposit to hold current price levels for an additional 12 months. Details are on the web site.

- Jim

·
Registered
4,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsalk
Just a quick note to let everyone know that price increases will go into effect June 1st. They will be a minimum of 10% on most models and perhaps a little more on some.

For those who are consdiering purchases in the near future, there is an option to put down a small deposit to hold current price levels for an additional 12 months. Details are on the web site.

- Jim
Just out of curiosity Jim, I've been eyeing the speakers over at your site for a while, but am not sure what to do about my surround speaker situation. Is there a speaker on your site that has a depth in the 6-8 inch range? I'm building collumns in my theater room eventually and don't want the collumns sticking out too far in the room to accomodate a speaker with a 12.5" depth (not including space for wire and binding posts.) Have you ever had anyone ever order driver parts and build a custom enclosure as a part of the collumn itself? I was going to PM this question, but I thought the answer might benefit others.

And secondly, I saw information for the Veracity Subwoofer on the HT1's page. Is it getting closer to completion? (as the HTS page is still showing a "coming soon" text.

Sorry for all the questions!

·
Registered
953 Posts
Chirpie -

I assume you are talking about the HTS series MT design. I don't have any speakers that are 6 - 8 " deep, although the basic HTS designs are so versatile, it would not be a problem building MDF cabinets that are around that depth. Provided you selected an appropriate crossover design, you would just have to compensate to maintain the proper internal volume. Since they would be built into the column, they would not have to be finished (except perhaps the front baffles).

I could build them for you or provide you with the dimensions and construction notes so you could do it yourself. It would really be quite simple.

As for the subs, I really need to take that page down. The fact is, every sub I end up building seems to be different. I could certainly build the Veracity HTS subs today. There is nothing unique about them. But no one has ordered them to date. Usually, after discussing the project, I end up building something more custom.

Subs are really quite simple. Once we determine what kind of driver is most appropriate and whether the cabinet needs to be sealed or vented (depending on the performance required), it is really a simple matter of providing the appropriate cabinet volume and selecting an appropriate plate amp. The rest is purely costmetic.

I have even done subs that look like tables or small cabinets so they can be "hidden" in the room. Whatever you need, it can certainly be done.

- Jim

·
Registered
953 Posts
To all who may be interested (others ignore) -

As you may know, I was asked by the AVS forum administrators, a few months ago, to refrain from posting pictures of new speakers on AVS. And I have complied.

But I keep getting asked about when new pictures will be posted here. The answer is that they will not be posted here by me. Perhaps owners will post pics, but that is up to them.

In the mean time, a group of owners got together and started a circle at www.audiocircle.com . They have been posting pics on their circle (Owner's Circles/Salk Signature Sound Speakers) as well as trading reviews and thoughts on upgrades to the base speakers.

Other than perhaps answering questions from time to time, I have nothing to do with this circle. But I thought those of you who have been looking for pictures of the latest projects may like to know about this forum.

You can visit it at audiocircle.com

- Jim

121 - 133 of 133 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.