AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, I have had my TV set for a week now, in that time I have view the Tv wiht a regular digital box, a HD box, and a cable card.

the good of the set itself: Colors= WOW!! the best I have seen, very Sharp image, clear, bright. Nice Stereo sound.

the bad: maybe it needs calibration.

the reception: where should I start??..let's start with reception with HD Cable Box: excellent stereo sound on HD channels and overall, horrible reception of channels below 200, a lot better reception of channels above 200, it seems the higher the better it gets.

the HD channels with HD cable box: really nice and sharp, ocasionally there is pixelisation?? is that what you guys call it?{the image gets little blocks on certain areas with rapid movements}...I call it distortion or garbage!..I was told on this very forum that the reason for that is a LOW BIT RATE? from my cable company...ok...for now I'll accept that. I think the HD thing could be better, but I should not complain about this type of setup , cos when I switched to ..............

CABLECARD service : oh my god!, Are you guys kidding me??? why didn't anyone here with cablecard installed mentioned the loss of the stereo sound on some?most?,..channels??...no only that...sound is also DISTORTED in some channels.....now let's go to the image part.....

Are you guys kidding me??..even the high digital cable channels with this CableCard service from hell look HORRID, no excuses, just awful. the standard defenition channels all look horrible....but it doesn't end there....EVEN the HD channels don't look as good..remember the pixalisation I mentioned before fo rthe HD Cable Box??..welll the CableCard service is even worse, a bit more distrotion on the HD channels{unacceptable}I mean, what is the point of watching high defenition and then have pixalisation( those blocky little things that distord part of images when there is rapid movements) create distorted images???..it is actually annoying and distracting.

Again, I have been reassured once more that, that problem is due to the a low bit rate provided from my cable company(CableVision you stink then if true, and your days are numbered}. even though I wonder how much of that is true.

the result is , I have ordered Cablevision to bring me back the HD cable box...at least with that , the pixalisation on the HD channels is held to a minimum and the sound improves greatly.

this doesn't end here...I will eventually cancel my cablevision and will order Voom and try that..if not satisfied I will try other methods or services..I'm willing to explore other methods...I think HD recpetion has to be better than this...that pixalisation is ...humm..how should I put it....well.. ...it shouldn't be there..and I know is not my tv set...!

conclusion: kd34xbr960

·
Banned
18,829 Posts
Seems like you are indeed seeing the limitation of MPEG-2 compression used in digital transmition. Indeed, the better the display, the more you will see these. So it is possible that the cablecard had higher resolution and hence the reason you saw more artifacts there. Although the audio problems are puzzling.

Amir

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
I'd have a cable tech measure the signal level you are getting, sounds low to me that causes some of those problems. Probably old coaxial cable, bad connectors and/or old lossy splitters.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.