AVS Forum banner

381 - 400 of 453 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Ahh thanks for the reply both FNwoz and MississippiMan, that is actually what I had been doing all along. I was able to get out some of the vertical lines but not all. I've also been dealing with an issue where the carabiner pull system didnt work for me from day 1 - just pulled out the grommets. Stephen so far has been awesome to work with offering tips and tricks at all hours, etc.. However for me at this point I am asking for a return or to swap out to solid surface since the material is great from an ALR / color perspective..

Pictures attached showing the lines I can't seem to get out and the grommet pulling issue. For folks just starting with their's I would HIGHLY recommend having a second person to pull tension / close the tie. Also be super careful if using the carabiner. We had better luck when pulling by my fingertips then having my wife ziptie. You can see below thought that still resulted in the grommet issue.
I would love to switch to a solid surface as well but I won’t be able to fit it in my basement if I went that route. I thought about calling Stephen and asking for an upgrade but after measuring, there is no way I can get a 120” screen down my stairs or through my window. Ultimately I am just going to keep working it till I am happy with it. At this point it is about 80% there. Hopefully another round with a hair dryer and adjust the brackets that actually hold the frame will get me to at least 95%. The screen performance is incredible. I would really like to see someone try and take pictures of the same setup with the Dark Abyss (the one I have) and the Pulsar. Just curious to see what the difference in gain actually looks like. My projector is on ECO and its plenty bright.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I would love to switch to a solid surface as well but I won’t be able to fit it in my basement if I went that route. I thought about calling Stephen and asking for an upgrade but after measuring, there is no way I can get a 120” screen down my stairs or through my window. Ultimately I am just going to keep working it till I am happy with it. At this point it is about 80% there. Hopefully another round with a hair dryer and adjust the brackets that actually hold the frame will get me to at least 95%. The screen performance is incredible. I would really like to see someone try and take pictures of the same setup with the Dark Abyss (the one I have) and the Pulsar. Just curious to see what the difference in gain actually looks like. My projector is on ECO and its plenty bright.
I can snag some pics later but as of now there is only 1 crease in mine and thats from me not pulling it right around the frame. It is in the very bottom right corner so I am not sweating it right now. I built a wood frame and pulled it around it like I did with my last one. I will be honest the Pulsar is definitely brighter. I did get a new projector at the same time which definitely has something to do with it but even on the dimmest mode with my px747 it is incredibly bright even with lots of ambient light. My real issue right now is the projector still trying to dial it in. It has an RGBW wheel and the whites are so insanely bright that they can definitely hot spot on the Pulsar. I am right at 15 feet away as that is as far as I can go. On my really light grey wall the whites on the standard mode were so bright they hurt with this projector.

So far so good. I had picked up the projector after I sold my Abyss as I had intended to go with the Pulsar to open my options as to projectors. There were not many out there that offered high lumens to combat my ambient light. This combination is possibly too bright.

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
23,817 Posts
I would really like to see someone try and take pictures of the same setup with the Dark Abyss (the one I have) and the Pulsar. Just curious to see what the difference in gain actually looks like. My projector is on ECO and its plenty bright.

The biggest difference comes from the gain level, making the Pulsar more easily reactive to a lower lumen PJ.

The Abyss can still get to blazin' when adequate lumen s are applied. The difference between an additionally added 0.4 - 0.5 points of gain is really huge, especially when going from a sub 0.8 level to 1.3^

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
23,817 Posts
My real issue right now is the projector still trying to dial it in. It has an RGBW wheel and the whites are so insanely bright that they can definitely hot spot on the Pulsar. I am right at 15 feet away as that is as far as I can go. On my really light grey wall the whites on the standard mode were so bright they hurt with this projector.

So far so good. I had picked up the projector after I sold my Abyss as I had intended to go with the Pulsar to open my options as to projectors. There were not many out there that offered high lumens to combat my ambient light. This combination is possibly too bright.

It is always possible to deal with excessive brightness (ND-Filter) but one cannot conjure up Lumen / Brightness / Foot Lambert s that do not exist.

You will find your balance, I'm certain of that.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I can snag some pics later but as of now there is only 1 crease in mine and thats from me not pulling it right around the frame. It is in the very bottom right corner so I am not sweating it right now. I built a wood frame and pulled it around it like I did with my last one. I will be honest the Pulsar is definitely brighter. I did get a new projector at the same time which definitely has something to do with it but even on the dimmest mode with my px747 it is incredibly bright even with lots of ambient light. My real issue right now is the projector still trying to dial it in. It has an RGBW wheel and the whites are so insanely bright that they can definitely hot spot on the Pulsar. I am right at 15 feet away as that is as far as I can go. On my really light grey wall the whites on the standard mode were so bright they hurt with this projector.

Did you always plan on building your own frame or did you build one after trying Stephens first? As far as the gain goes, I have the Epson 2150 for now and am impressed with it. I am waiting to see what Epson comes out with to replace the 5040ub (projector I was going to go with) but my guess is it will be at least as bright as this hopefully brighter. After seeing some white screens in stores, I definitely don’t regret going with a ALR high contrast screen.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Ahh thanks for the reply both FNwoz and MississippiMan, that is actually what I had been doing all along. I was able to get out some of the vertical lines but not all. I've also been dealing with an issue where the carabiner pull system didnt work for me from day 1 - just pulled out the grommets. Stephen so far has been awesome to work with offering tips and tricks at all hours, etc.. However for me at this point I am asking for a return or to swap out to solid surface since the material is great from an ALR / color perspective..

Pictures attached showing the lines I can't seem to get out and the grommet pulling issue. For folks just starting with their's I would HIGHLY recommend having a second person to pull tension / close the tie. Also be super careful if using the carabiner. We had better luck when pulling by my fingertips then having my wife ziptie. You can see below thought that still resulted in the grommet issue.
Not to sway you one way or another, but I got my 130” diagonal 2.35:1 (120” x 51”) solid surface downstairs and around a relativly tight corner into the basement. There’s is enough flex to the metal that you can bow it a bit, do no damage and negotiate the corners. I’ll post a pic of the stairs and corner up on my thread. Then again maybe you’re doing 16:9 and it just won’t fit like you said before.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I decided to build it because when I got my first Abyss I was on a tight budget and couldn't afford the other options. The same thing happened this time. It's not easy and is time consuming. You will undoubtedly need 2 people to do it.

A couple pics. One is of my dad holding the frame we built yesterday. Another of BFG in 1080p. It's a dark scene with all 5 windows open in my room and the French doors to the sun room open. It actually looks much better in person my camera is dulling the image more. This is still impressive as this is with my px747 on standard mode nothing else adjusted.

The other two are from last night's celts game. In cinema mode on eco.

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
Not to sway you one way or another, but I got my 130” diagonal 2.35:1 (120” x 51”) solid surface downstairs and around a relativly tight corner into the basement. There’s is enough flex to the metal that you can bow it a bit, do no damage and negotiate the corners. I’ll post a pic of the stairs and corner up on my thread. Then again maybe you’re doing 16:9 and it just won’t fit like you said before.
If you could take a picture that would be great. I would like to stay with the 120” but am concerned I can make it past the landing of my basement stairs. I can send it through my window but the corner to corner dimensions are 53” and the vertical dimension of the screen is 59”. If I could go that route, that would be the easiest but we are talking 6” of flex here. Do you think thats possible? Picture of window is below. I am looking at a 16:9 screen as that is what I have from Stephen now.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,360 Posts
What I like best/find most interesting, Lumenslover, is the progression of the mains....;)

Much like my shorter journey, it takes large speakers to make large sounds is my end conclusion while smaller speakers can sound outstanding, they can never sound like large speakers...…….:D

·
Banned
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #390 (Edited)
What I like best/find most interesting, Lumenslover, is the progression of the mains....;)

Much like my shorter journey, it takes large speakers to make large sounds is my end conclusion while smaller speakers can sound outstanding, they can never sound like large speakers...…….:D
You are definitely a man after my own heart. Here are a few pics of my other speakers for your enjoyment. Though keep in mind that this is only a few speakers out of over 60 speakers that I've owned over the last 10 years.:D

Cerwin Vega CLS 215 7 Channel speaker system consisting of seven CLS 215 speakers being used as Mains and surrounds along with large 200 lb center speaker which contained two 10 inch woofers.

So the entire system contain twelve 15 inch woofers, two 10 inch woofers and six 18" subwoofers. The heavens moved with that system.

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
I decided to build it because when I got my first Abyss I was on a tight budget and couldn't afford the other options. The same thing happened this time. It's not easy and is time consuming. You will undoubtedly need 2 people to do it.

A couple pics. One is of my dad holding the frame we built yesterday. Another of BFG in 1080p. It's a dark scene with all 5 windows open in my room and the French doors to the sun room open. It actually looks much better in person my camera is dulling the image more. This is still impressive as this is with my px747 on standard mode nothing else adjusted.

The other two are from last night's celts game. In cinema mode on eco.
For some reason your pictures won’t show up when they are clicked on. Regardless I reached out to Stephen and he is going to let me return my setup and go with something else. After doing some measuring, even if I went down to a 110” screen, the solid surface would be tough to get into my basement. With that being said, I think I am going to go with a standard fixed frame from Stephen. Since I am getting a new screen I asked him about going with the Pulsar instead of the Abyss and he was nice enough to send me a sample. Once it comes in, I am going to hang it in the center of my Abyss screen and watch for a few days. After reading this thread, there doesn’t appear to be any negatives to going with the Pulsar over the Abyss but I will definitely post some pictures once I have the sample. I am pleased with the performance of the Abyss so if Pulsar is somehow an improvement on that, that would be great. Stay tuned.

·
Registered
301 Posts
For some reason your pictures won’t show up when they are clicked on. Regardless I reached out to Stephen and he is going to let me return my setup and go with something else. After doing some measuring, even if I went down to a 110” screen, the solid surface would be tough to get into my basement. With that being said, I think I am going to go with a standard fixed frame from Stephen. Since I am getting a new screen I asked him about going with the Pulsar instead of the Abyss and he was nice enough to send me a sample. Once it comes in, I am going to hang it in the center of my Abyss screen and watch for a few days. After reading this thread, there doesn’t appear to be any negatives to going with the Pulsar over the Abyss but I will definitely post some pictures once I have the sample. I am pleased with the performance of the Abyss so if Pulsar is somehow an improvement on that, that would be great. Stay tuned.
Let's try again. I do notice some subtle hotspotting where the light hits the screen directly. With the abyss it wasn't noticeable. I am exactly 15ft away at 120". If I had more distance I'd probably go back another for or two but I'm maxed out

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,752 Posts
I think the Pulsar might be less forgiving about a less ideal throw-ratio compared to the Abyss. I don't remember your throw-distance, but if you're unable to get the projector at least 1.5X your screen-width back away from the screen (or farther, ideally), you might get some uniformity issues which are more visible/bothersome from the Pulsar with an overly close throw-ratio.
You're probably fine, but if your PJ is closer than 14ft-15ft you might want to consider either moving it back farther or switching to the Abyss material if you notice problems with the Pulsar.

EDIT: just saw the post above once the page reloaded after posting. I didn't mean to copy it, but it's nice to hear the same thing I suspected from somebody with hands-on experience using both materials.

·
Registered
301 Posts
The simple...and only correct answer...

The Pulsar works best at 1:8 Throw distance Ratio.
I would agree when I get rid of my 747 and get something to replace it I will be trying 110" at 15ft. Which is right in the 1.8 sweet spot. I'm thinking that will be key.

120" should be about 16ft away which puts me just shy of the sweet spot.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I would agree when I get rid of my 747 and get something to replace it I will be trying 110" at 15ft. Which is right in the 1.8 sweet spot. I'm thinking that will be key.

120" should be about 16ft away which puts me just shy of the sweet spot.

This is great news because my projector is just over 16’ from the lens to the screen. I am concerned about hot spotting which is why I think hanging the sample in the middle of my screen would make the most sense. I appreciate the input as it sounds like my setup is pretty ideal for the Pulsar. What would be even better is if Epson unveils the specs for their replacement to the 5040UB as I am hoping that is my next projector to replace my Epson 2150. Just want to make sure it would play nice with this screen but I assume it shouldn’t be a problem.

381 - 400 of 453 Posts