AVS Forum banner

441 - 460 of 463 Posts

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Reading through this post has been fun and informative.

LumensLover, loads of respect for you sir and thank you for your immense efforts and down-to-earth approach. Technical insights aside, you're probably the only person that has experienced nearly every ALR solution out there and that in my books translates to passion.

I love the concept of ALR screens. However, I am very sensitive and particular to image fidelity. The last time I saw an SI BD 1.4 in action, I noticed two things:-

1. The image was slightly soft even when the projector was focused correctly - this did not look entirely wrong but as I mentioned I'm really particular about an image. Maybe a slight sharpening overdose would have helped to fix the problem.

2. The image had a very fine texture to it - almost like the surface of the screen was made with crushed glass powder.

3. Subtle gradations are not as smooth - this could have been content related.

I do realise the fact that SI and other ALR screen makers keep improving the quality, have the first 2 issues been resolved or improved drastically ?

The DES Pulsar 1.4 and Abyss 0.8 seem to be nice products.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Set up properly, it would be spectacular. OLED-like imagery....no foolin' !

Having said that....the one thing that could be a bit of a spoiler is the UHZ65's high Lumen output combined with a very low Brightness Uniformity (56%), unless you can do the opposite of what is usually the norm and set the PJ back at least 2/3rds of it's maximum Telephoto range for a given screen size. This is somewhat of an advantage with a Pulsar anyway, and of course you would be able to use the Cinema or Reference settings at one of the several lower Lamp outputs offered.

The lack of BluRay 3D support and no Lens Memory put's it as being low Man on the PJ Totem Pole for me personally, but for someone who wants to see 4K Movies and TV (...and still see deep Blacks w/detail) in a room where ambient light is just plain unavoidable, the combo of PJ / Screen as listed will certainly be more than impressive.
Have you had the privilege to see this combination in action ?

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
LumensLover, is there anyway I can contact you? - Would like your assistance please.

If you don't mind me calling you or emailing you, then kindly share your contact details via a private message.

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,594 Posts
Have you had the privilege to see this combination in action ?

That combo? No. I have seen it with 4K Sony and JVC projectors however. I can't really elaborate enough....and to even do so would be an exercise in excessive and profuse exclamatory discourse about the overwhelming image quality in both Darkness and Ambient light.

As for the UHZ65's performance, I stand by my ad hoc evaluation. I do not / cannot trust in the use of any PJ with under 60% Light uniformity on a 1.0 gain surface, let alone a higher Gain one.

It may well be not the issue I perceive it to be...but I'll not go so far as to suggest it on such a "maybe".

·
Registered
69 Posts
A little over a year since the last reply on this thread. Any more disciples of DES? I'm about to get an Epson 5050ub and the ALR of these screens seems really interesting.

Anyone not happy with theirs?

·
Registered
307 Posts
A little over a year since the last reply on this thread. Any more disciples of DES? I'm about to get an Epson 5050ub and the ALR of these screens seems really interesting.

Anyone not happy with theirs?
I'm using it with my 5040 and still love it. Make sure you give it atleast 15ft though. The gain of the screen can produce Hotspotting if you are any closer

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'm using it with my 5040 and still love it. Make sure you give it atleast 15ft though. The gain of the screen can produce Hotspotting if you are any closer
Thanks! I have a range of 15-24ft that I can put the projector. The best placement as far as being out of the way would be approximately 20 feet. Is that in the sweet spot for a 110-120" on DES or is it getting a little far?

I'm quite happy w mine. follow the throw ratios accordingly and you'll be a happy camper.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/23-screens/3100786-dark-energy-review-pulsar-1-4-a.html
I'm not totally familiar with throw ratios. It looks like the ratios for the two screens mostly talked about in this thread are:

Abyss Throw Ratio: 1.6+
Pulsar Throw Ratio: 1.8+

I used a throw calculator for the 5050ub at 120 inches diagonal to get some numbers here. Image 1 is for the Abyss and image 2 is for the Pulsar.

According to these calculations, the projector could be placed anywhere from 11'9" to 24'9" in its Zoom Range of 1.35 to 2.84. Is the Throw Ratio the same thing as the Zoom Range? Do I just use this calculator and set the zoom range to 1.6 for the Abyss and 1.8 for the Pulsar and it'll show me the minimal and optimal distance to screen?

Should I got Pular or Abyss?

·
Registered
307 Posts
Thanks! I have a range of 15-24ft that I can put the projector. The best placement as far as being out of the way would be approximately 20 feet. Is that in the sweet spot for a 110-120" on DES or is it getting a little far?

I'm not totally familiar with throw ratios. It looks like the ratios for the two screens mostly talked about in this thread are:

Abyss Throw Ratio: 1.6+

Pulsar Throw Ratio: 1.8+

I used a throw calculator for the 5050ub at 120 inches diagonal to get some numbers here. Image 1 is for the Abyss and image 2 is for the Pulsar.

According to these calculations, the projector could be placed anywhere from 11'9" to 24'9" in its Zoom Range of 1.35 to 2.84. Is the Throw Ratio the same thing as the Zoom Range? Do I just use this calculator and set the zoom range to 1.6 for the Abyss and 1.8 for the Pulsar and it'll show me the minimal and optimal distance to screen?

Should I got Pular or Abyss?

Yea 20 ft for the pulsar at 120" is great. I'm terms of which you should get if fully dependent on you and your situstion. Reach out to DES on Facebook. He's an incredibly helpful guy and can help you determine which may be the best for your application. I went from the anyss to pulsar because my light control is poor in my living room and I love/wanted the extra brightness and punch from the extra gain

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have a 120" Abyss mounted at roughly 16.5-17' distance (~200"). I initially tried a Pulsar but the hotspotting was too much and swapped to Abyss which is perfect. No more hotspotting and also a less sparkly image. I couldn't be happier.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I have a 120" Abyss mounted at roughly 16.5-17' distance (~200"). I initially tried a Pulsar but the hotspotting was too much and swapped to Abyss which is perfect. No more hotspotting and also a less sparkly image. I couldn't be happier.
Are you in a light controlled room? I definitely agree there is some hotspotting/sparkly due to the high gain but I have only found it to be an issue at night no lights and watching regular TV broadcast. 1080p blue rays and 4k content I haven't noticed it as much. If you don't need the gain and are in a light controlled room go for the abyss. I had the abyss first but my projector is in the living room and gets about 50/50 daytime night-time watching

·
Registered
46 Posts
Are you in a light controlled room? I definitely agree there is some hotspotting/sparkly due to the high gain but I have only found it to be an issue at night no lights and watching regular TV broadcast. 1080p blue rays and 4k content I haven't noticed it as much. If you don't need the gain and are in a light controlled room go for the abyss. I had the abyss first but my projector is in the living room and gets about 50/50 daytime night-time watching

It's not a light-controlled room (white walls, have very large windows but with blackout cellular shades blocking them (some leakage around the border). The other side however is 50% open to the rest of the house and moderate light comes in from there. I have a 5040UB though, and that's plenty bright, even on the Abyss, even with some ambient light.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Sadly it looks like Dark Energy Screens went out of business. I go to their facebook (Dark Energy Screens) and the last post is July 2019. Clicking on any link and you get redirected to some very shady looking sites. Looking at community gives this:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sadly it looks like Dark Energy Screens went out of business. I go to their facebook (Dark Energy Screens) and the last post is July 2019. Clicking on any link and you get redirected to some very shady looking sites. Looking at community gives this:

View attachment 3057015
I was actually JUST looking into DES because I have an opportunity to buy a screen locally, but I haven't really seen too many reviews besides the ones by new accounts on here. So I am pretty sketched out with the business not responding to message or w.e. it seems like all communications stopped march 2020, which is when the owner's account last had activity on here. That being said, is this really a good screen? Anything I should watch out for when I buy, now that there isnt much support from the business?

·
Premium Member
14,878 Posts
If the screen is local then demo it out. The material is amazing for ALR, no question. But if the level of light you plan to fight with a projection system is really that high in a domestic setting, you should honestly start thinking about TV instead. Is it the best for ALR out there? IMO yea it's up there...but the material is super finicky and with you not having to have it shipped, if it's in good condition with no creases, you might have a winner on your hands.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I have owned both the pulsar and the abyss. The screens are amazing. Some of the best alr I've ever seen. I reached out a while ago to check in and never heard back so I'm also assuming he is out of business. Definitely go check it out locally if you can

·
Registered
458 Posts
I have owned both the pulsar and the abyss. The screens are amazing. Some of the best alr I've ever seen. I reached out a while ago to check in and never heard back so I'm also assuming he is out of business. Definitely go check it out locally if you can
Which one did you end up going with? I just got some Abyss material, but keep wondering if I should have gone with the Pulsar... my projector is a Runco q750i, so it's like maybe 600 lumens. I haven't seen the material yet.

·
Registered
307 Posts
The pulsar is significantly brighter. However even at 15ft my 5040ub gets some hot spotting. The abyss never had that issue. With how dim your projector is it may have been better with pulsar. I'm in a very bright living room during the day so I needed the extra gain.

·
Registered
46 Posts
FWIW I far preferred Abyss to Pulsar. The Pulsar had too much perceptible drop in brightness with angle as I moved around the room and it also sparkled noticeably. I was right on the border of their recommended throw ratio though. Abyss is just straight-up fantastic.

441 - 460 of 463 Posts