AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had an XR57 for about 2 years. I paired it with a pair of used Monitor Audio Bronze B4's for the last year. The combo sounded good, but the midrange was emphasized and the bass was weak. I had the XR57 set for "large" front speakers and subwoofer "OFF" (bass and treble set to "0"). I'm using white Acoustic Research Performance Series 16 ga. OFC "lamp cord" style speaker wire. I prefer a sound that is not so "forward" and has strong bass without a subwoofer (I've probably had 10 subwoofers over the years and I just prefer the sound of full-range speakers vs. sub-augmented speakers). I had read where some said the XR57's bass was weak, but I was part of the camp that figured all "good quality" 100 wpc receivers sounded the same, so I replaced the MA's with a pair of new Def. Tech. BP10B's. Well, the XR57/BP10B combo sounded better, but I still wasn't happy. Bass wasn't as strong as I wanted. I reluctantly replaced the XR57 with a used Denon AVR-2803 from eBay. I don't know if it's digital vs. standard amplification, but WOW! What a difference! You'd swear I had a subwoofer in my room. The Denon really makes the BP10B's rock! (bass/treble set to "0") My only nitpick is that the sound might be a touch TOO laid-back. Voices seem a little too "thick". Perhaps it will get better as the Def. Tech.'s break-in. Either way, I'm VERY happy with this pairing
I almost wish I had replaced the XR57 with the 2803 before I swapped speakers. I'm certain I wasn't hearing all that the MA's had to offer when paired with the XR57

·
Registered
343 Posts
I have the XR57 paired with a 5 way X-LS system and have the "bass" turned down 3 notchs without a sub. 57 does not have weak bass.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcgilbert /forum/post/14335053

I have the XR57 paired with a 5 way X-LS system and have the "bass" turned down 3 notchs without a sub. 57 does not have weak bass.

Compared to the AVR-2803 (using Def. Tech BP10B's in my "live" 300 sq. ft. room with 5 open doorways around it) the XR57's bass could be called anemic
I'm glad you're satisfied with the bass you're hearing

I think Panasonic's digital receivers' "sound" is probably designed with the thought that the end user would most likely be using a sub/sat system with it. I guess a comparison with other speakers would have been MUCH better in forming a definitive opinion, but I HONESTLY didn't think it was going to be necessary because I didn't set out intending to do a receiver comparison because I truly believed all good 100 wpc receivers would sound the same!

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Funny, I have a XR57 driving a pair of Gallo Solos, with a Sunfire sub.

I used to drive them with a Pass Aleph and the sound was really great. While looking for something cooler-running, based on reviews here and elsewhere, I bought on a whim the Panasonic, since it was cheap.

It was the one amp, after trying several, which did not annoy me, compared to the Pass Aleph. I tried a old Denon 3801 which used to feed my TV room with the same set up, and it sounded noticeably worse, at least to my ear - harsh highs and boomy bass - fine for TV, but not for music.

BTW, is Panasonic ever going to come up with a next gen digital amp?

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Funny, I have a XR57 driving a pair of Gallo Solos, with a Sunfire sub.

I used to drive them with a Pass Aleph and the sound was really great. While looking for something cooler-running, based on reviews here and elsewhere, I bought on a whim the Panasonic, since it was cheap.

I was the one box, after trying several, which did not annoy me, compared to the Pass Aleph.

I actually had for a couple of days, an old Denon 3801, which used to feed my TV room, with the same set up, and it sounded noticeably worse, at least to my ear - harsh highs and boomy bass - fine for TV, but not for music.

BTW, is Panasonic ever going to come up with a next gen digital receiver?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts