AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's time for change, part III of the RIDKAHT is underway! Once again my plan is to do it as inexpensively as possible while simultaneously convincing anyone who steps foot in it that I am made of money. Here are some of the changes that I have planned:

1. Carpet being replaced with laminate wood flooring! The flooring is already picked. It's being purchased at Sam's Club tomorrow. The color is called Eastlake Cherry and it costs $17.31 for 17.5 square feet. That's less than $1 per square foot, and this stuff is nice! It comes with the foam underlayment pre-installed on the back of each piece. I'll be installing it myself with a friend. Total square feet needed for the room is 204 so the total cost to put a new floor in the entire room will be $225.03. That's 13 boxes (12 needed + 1 extra box just in case) at $17.31/box=$225.03. That's dirt cheap to install flooring in a 16 x 12 room!

2. Reorienting the HT so that I can move the computer area out of the cramped closet. Basically the entire setup will be turned 90 degrees so that the projector will now be throwing across the shorter dimension of the room. I will have to go from a 120" screen at a 16 foot throw to a 100" screen at a 10.5 foot throw to make this work. In exchange I will free up half the room for a much more comfortable computer setup. Anyone want to buy a mint condition 120" Elite fixed frame screen? :)

3. Thinking about selling the current audio gear and downsizing that too. Possibly with a set of satellite speakers to go with my Velodyne sub.

4. Going to build the screen this time. I've built 3 screens over the past 5 years of my HT obsession. I was kind of burned out on building screens so in my current HT I bought the Elite. Now I am going to build the 100" screen but with a difference; integrated masking! All of my screens to date have had retrofitted masking panels. These work really well but are less than convenient. The new screen will have at a bare minimum masking that will be built in and manually operated and take the 1.85:1 screen down to 2.35:1 or any other ratio the movie may be presented in. Ideally and this is where I hope to go with this; integrated motorized individually remote controlled upper and lower masks. Much of my inspiration comes from this thread: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1090889 . Thanks for the great idea deewan!

5. Possible (likely) 1080p upgrade (finally). I'm having a tough time parting with my PT-AX200U. In my most recent bid to upgrade I tried out a PLV-Z700 for a few weeks. Other than maybe a bit of noticeable resolution improvement, the Panasonic trounced the Sanyo in every way. I certainly could not justify the cost. Well with the throw distance in my room changing from 16 feet to 10.5, 1080p might be a lot more noticeable. I'm thinking it will help tremendously with screen door at this shorter throw and it will also provide a punchier/brighter picture than I saw from the 1080p Sanyo at 16 feet.

6. Completely concealed equipment. With the new floor I am going to have to pull off all the baseboard moldings prior to installing it. While the molding is off I am going to cut a channel into the lower end of the drywall to create a wire channel. In doing so I will be able to place equipment anywhere in the room while the wires will be completely concealed. By taking the computer out of what used to be the closet, I can put the closet doors back on and use it for the equipment. Then all I have to do is run the wiring in the channel I created all the way into the closet. My only concern with this wiring scenario is that once the baseboard moldings are back in place any additions to the wiring would be quite a pain. Consequently I am considering this product: http://www.wiretracks.com/prod-nc.html . Unfortunately the company is out of business and liquidating their remaining inventory. I can still get my hands on the product if I decide to go that route. Basically you place one part of the track under the drywall where you cut a channel and the other part of the track goes on the back of your molding. Then the 2 pieces snap together to conceal your wires and keep the molding in place. Obviously this means the molding can be snapped on and off at will to perform upgrades or make changes.

7. Completely new desk in an L shape. This will give me a much more spacious and comfortable area to geek out in. Also unlike having a small desk in the closet as I have had, I will not be staring at a wall all the time. I'm going to set up the desk so that when I am at the computer I am facing out into the room, looking at the HT area and the room entrance. In addition because I am changing the layout of the room, my screen will now go on a different wall. Currently the screen is hung over a very large window which was the only way I could make the previous setup work. With the window now unblocked I can get some light in the room during the day, this will remove a lot of the dungeon like feeling that I am currently dissatisfied with.

8. Basically everything is changing. The only thing that I am certain I am reusing are my set of 3 Berkline motorized HT recliners.

9. Ceiling mount the projector. I have never had a ceiling mounted PJ, in the current HT the projector sits on top of an audio rack at the rear of the room, in my previous HT it was mounted under a shelf on the wall. I'm optimistic that ceiling mounting the PJ will reduce the audible noise from it and also eliminate the annoyance of someone walking into the picture when they get out of one of the chairs.

There are sure to be many more changes to document along the way, these are just the major ones off the top of my head. I'll be sure to update this thread frequently with them all.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Here's to hoping third time's a charm! Good luck!

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanesian /forum/post/18176664

Here's to hoping third time's a charm! Good luck!

Thank you! I'd like to think this is the last time, but I know better than to do something silly like that. At best I hope to keep it "mostly" unchanged for a couple of years, if I can do that it would be an achievement!

·
Registered
6,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by docprego /forum/post/18176679

Thank you! I'd like to think this is the last time, but I know better than to do something silly like that. At best I hope to keep it "mostly" unchanged for a couple of years, if I can do that it would be an achievement!

Wow!!!!! Part Trois?????? Man I have not even finished version 1.0 and your on to v. 3.0! I need to get going! Great to see that you are always on the move to improve your space, I wish I could find the motivation to finish my first space. I'm suffering slightly from home improvement/project burnout, but enough about me.

That is a great price on the laminate flooring, great score! It will change the acoustics in your room though, it is much more reflective than carpet (obviously) and will change the way you "hear" your audio. Might not be too much of a change though if you are down sizing your speakers. It will be interesting to see what your observations are regarding that aspect.

You ability to notice the difference between 720p and 1080p is not totally dependent on throw distance. It is actually more dependent on screen size and viewing distance. You will actually or should actually see an improvement in you image going smaller. You may even be happier with the AX-200 now that you "down sizing".

Of course this is just my .02.

You are obviously obligated to report your screen building adventure in a detailed written and photo journal for those of us out here thinking of doing the same thing. Glad to see your back at it so I again get back to harassing you on a regular basis.

Regards,

RTROSE

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE /forum/post/18177730

Wow!!!!! Part Trois?????? Man I have not even finished version 1.0 and your on to v. 3.0! I need to get going! Great to see that you are always on the move to improve your space, I wish I could find the motivation to finish my first space. I'm suffering slightly from home improvement/project burnout, but enough about me.

That is a great price on the laminate flooring, great score! It will change the acoustics in your room though, it is much more reflective than carpet (obviously) and will change the way you "hear" your audio. Might not be too much of a change though if you are down sizing your speakers. It will be interesting to see what your observations are regarding that aspect.

You ability to notice the difference between 720p and 1080p is not totally dependent on throw distance. It is actually more dependent on screen size and viewing distance. You will actually or should actually see an improvement in you image going smaller. You may even be happier with the AX-200 now that you "down sizing".

Of course this is just my .02.

You are obviously obligated to report your screen building adventure in a detailed written and photo journal for those of us out here thinking of doing the same thing. Glad to see your back at it so I again get back to harassing you on a regular basis.

Regards,

RTROSE

Fantastic! RTROSE has chimed in! Still on V 1.0?!!!! Get with it sir! J/K, great to see you on here, your posts always seem to inspire and entertain!

I'm going to give the Panasonic a test run at the new throw distance, who knows maybe I will like it just fine and it might even be improved as you said. The issue is that I can't get the 1080p bug out of me.....

As far as acoustics go, that's one we'll just have to see how it turns out. I figure the only way I can test that is to lay down the floor and by then it will be too late to turn back. I'm planning on placing a 4x8 area rug between the Berklines and the screen, so that should help.

I think this particular HT project is going to be dominated, consumed, overtaken, etc. by the screen build. I want that thing to be amazing! I have the whole thing laid out in my mind and also in a few sketches on napkins and the back of mail laying around. In the manual form I have it pretty much figured out, but that really isn't where I want to go. I want to motorize and remote control that thing! As I said I got most of my inspiration fron deewan's thread (see above for link) so my screen will be similar, but to motorize and remote control it I have not yet cracked that nut. Any ideas?

·
Registered
6,718 Posts
Well unfortunately I don't have much in the way of suggestions for the motorized masking system, I was waiting for you to do it so I could copy your work! Ha!

The area rug should help in taming the room acoustics, but I am curious to see if you actually "hear" any differences.

What are you thinking of downsizing your speakers too? There are a slew of speakers that will fit your needs for sure.

Regards,

RTROSE

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE /forum/post/18180530

Well unfortunately I don't have much in the way of suggestions for the motorized masking system, I was waiting for you to do it so I could copy your work! Ha!

The area rug should help in taming the room acoustics, but I am curious to see if you actually "hear" any differences.

What are you thinking of downsizing your speakers too? There are a slew of speakers that will fit your needs for sure.

Regards,

RTROSE

I already have an excellent Velodyne subwoofer so I don't really need a 5.1 system, just 5.0. I'm thinking about something along the lines of a 5 speaker satellite system such as these:

Polk

Klipsch

Work began tonight on the RIDKAHT Part III, I put in about 3 hours tearing things apart. I need to strip the room down bare in preparation for the installation of the flooring.

Here is the screen wall after the screen was removed:

And after a bit more progress:

I need to complete the crown molding above the window now that the curtains have been taken down. Thankfully I ordered too much when I installed the rest and I have plenty to finish the job.

Here is the wall pretty much back to normal:

Here is a shot of the 2 color choices I am deciding between for the laminate flooring. My wife likes the warmer Eastlake cherry on the left, I think I do too. The color on the right is called Monterey Maple.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Go with the cherry, in the theater it should reflect less light from the screen causing issues. Not to mention it just looks good!

Might i suggest a cherry chair rail then too?

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by In2Photos /forum/post/18182170

I might have to swing by Sams Club and see if they have some of that cherry floor!

Hurry! It's a seasonal item. They do have several other colors but they are all $27 per box, this stuff was a steal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goobenet /forum/post/18184113

Go with the cherry, in the theater it should reflect less light from the screen causing issues. Not to mention it just looks good!

Might i suggest a cherry chair rail then too?

Thanks for the suggestion. I just unloaded 14 boxes of the cherry in my garage. It's being installed Saturday morning, rather my friend and I are installing it.

That's funny you mention a chair rail, I have been tossing that idea around in my mind all day. I am contemplating a matching cherry chair rail and possibly a 2 tone paint job. I'd keep the current green and then add a second paint color. Any suggestions? Because the room is totally painted already in the green, for convenience I think I'd only paint the new color below the chair rail.

·
Registered
6,718 Posts
A couple of things.

The chair rail...do it! It will look very classy in your room and for the second color below the rail I would look at browns, sand tones, or beige type of colors to highlight the existing room color. Why not......this is part III after all!

I have the Klipsch speakers you linked to paired with the Klipsch sub recommended to go with the Quintets. I really like the sound of the speakers and they are a relatively small form factor and are easily wall, ceiling, or table mounted. I have no experience with the Polks, but I believe you won't be disappointed with the Klipsches. They would be perfect for your room. The room that I have them in is a 13.5 x 13.5 area and they do very nicely.

I would have suggested the warmer Cherry color too, but seeing that you have already made up your mind and bought the Cherry my suggestion is moot. I would suggest taking the laminate into the house. Most of the installers that I have talked to agree it is good for the laminate to acclimate to your home for around 24-48 hrs before you install it. The garage is close but no cigar, take those boxes inside.

Regards,

RTROSE

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE /forum/post/18187125

A couple of things.

The chair rail...do it! It will look very classy in your room and for the second color below the rail I would look at browns, sand tones, or beige type of colors to highlight the existing room color. Why not......this is part III after all!

I have the Klipsch speakers you linked to paired with the Klipsch sub recommended to go with the Quintets. I really like the sound of the speakers and they are a relatively small form factor and are easily wall, ceiling, or table mounted. I have no experience with the Polks, but I believe you won't be disappointed with the Klipsches. They would be perfect for your room. The room that I have them in is a 13.5 x 13.5 area and they do very nicely.

I would have suggested the warmer Cherry color too, but seeing that you have already made up your mind and bought the Cherry my suggestion is moot. I would suggest taking the laminate into the house. Most of the installers that I have talked to agree it is good for the laminate to acclimate to your home for around 24-48 hrs before you install it. The garage is close but no cigar, take those boxes inside.

Regards,

RTROSE

I like the suggestion of a sand tone for underneath the chair rail.

The Quintets look like a perfect fit for my room. But I have to tell you, I tore down my equipment rack tonight and I am NOT looking forward to wiring all that up again. I'm so turned off by the idea that I started looking at this: Logitech Z-5500 . I am going to be using approximately a 11.6 foot x 10 foot section of the room for the new HT so this system would be more than adequate. Some would probably think I am crazy for thinking about this system but I find the lack of a receiver to be very appealing at this moment and reviews are stellar. Just a thought, but I am sure I'll end up going with a separate receiver and a satellite speaker system. Alternatively I can reuse my Advent Heritage system, my real issue with this is the rear speakers which are simply huge for surround channel speakers.

About the laminate, can I leave it in the garage until 48 hours before installation and then bring it in to the room? Any issues with this?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Just like you, I'm also redoing my ht as well. Found a great deal on a sharp 720p and being able to play PS3 video and audio from the family room. Did all that and now working on the screen wall. Good luck on your build. Remember, third time's the charm!

Victor

·
Registered
1,974 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by docprego /forum/post/18186319

Hurry! It's a seasonal item. They do have several other colors but they are all $27 per box, this stuff was a steal.

No go for me. Our local Sam's Club doesn't even have it.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by In2Photos /forum/post/18190124

No go for me. Our local Sam's Club doesn't even have it.

Sorry to hear that, all of my local stores carry it. I guess it's a regionally available product.

I"m running into quite an annoying problem in the HT. I needed to do some touch up after I gutted the room. I used my left over paint from a year ago and after waiting for it to dry it does not match. The touched up areas are noticeably darker. So I went to Lowes and had them mix up a new gallon of the exact same color I used. This too does not match. Now I am faced with repainting the wall I touched up completely to eliminate this problem. I also have touch ups on 2 other walls that I need to do but am now afraid to attempt, I know the same will happen. I really want to avoid repainting most of the room but I can't see any alternative. Ideas?

·
Registered
6,718 Posts
Inevitably the paint mismatch will happen, especially if much time at all has passed. There is just no way to keep paint on the walls from fading even slightly after they have been painted. My wife and I usually end up painting the entire wall to have the paint match. The only other thing I could suggest is maybe thin the paint with a touch of water and see if that works. That could take some time to get it "just right" and maybe even more time than it takes to paint the whole room.

If you are going to do a chair rail any of the touch ups below the spot where you are going to paint the different color? That could help as well.

Regards,

RTROSE

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE /forum/post/18195767

Inevitably the paint mismatch will happen, especially if much time at all has passed. There is just no way to keep paint on the walls from fading even slightly after they have been painted. My wife and I usually end up painting the entire wall to have the paint match. The only other thing I could suggest is maybe thin the paint with a touch of water and see if that works. That could take some time to get it "just right" and maybe even more time than it takes to paint the whole room.

If you are going to do a chair rail any of the touch ups below the spot where you are going to paint the different color? That could help as well.

Regards,

RTROSE

That is exactly what I am going to try today as a last resort. Since the color is pretty much spot on but it's just a touch darker I'm hoping it might do the trick. I'm going to try the water and also some white paint. I'll mix up a bunch of different samples using both, hopefully one will match.

Another question; I am not seeing a carpet seam near the room entry. Is it possible that they would have carpeted a 12 x 16 room and went with a single piece of carpet into the adjacent connecting hall? If so where should I cut the carpet in the room by the door in preparation for the laminate installation? Well inside the HT? Exactly even with the door line? Or somewhere else?

·
Registered
1,974 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by docprego /forum/post/18196064

That is exactly what I am going to try today as a last resort. Since the color is pretty much spot on but it's just a touch darker I'm hoping it might do the trick. I'm going to try the water and also some white paint. I'll mix up a bunch of different samples using both, hopefully one will match.

Another question; I am not seeing a carpet seam near the room entry. Is it possible that they would have carpeted a 12 x 16 room and went with a single piece of carpet into the adjacent connecting hall? If so where should I cut the carpet in the room by the door in preparation for the laminate installation? Well inside the HT? Exactly even with the door line? Or somewhere else?

I would paint the whole room. It won't take much longer than trying to do touch ups several times.

As for the carpet, cut it about 6 inches into the door and a little wider than the door itself for the initial cut. Then pull the carpet back so that you can install a tack strip (you can likely salvage a piece from the removal). If you have any other locations that have a transition of carpet to wood/tile/vinyl see how far into the door opening they took the carpet and follow that. If you don't have one I would have the carpet end where the door hits the jamb. Your new wood transition would go across the floor at this spot.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts