AVS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 1443 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,413 Posts
I finally got a chance to compliment your setup.


You have some nice heavy hitting equipment list there Wabo. I've worked on a couple of installs in the past with Mcintosh equipment but not the pairing with Martin Logan speakers. I wish I lived near you just to hear how good that must sound.


Nice laserdisc player. I own the CLD-97. I can not believe we spent over $1800.00 for those players back when.


Like everyone else said, we need to find budget airfare and all come over and sit a spell while being mesmerized by your system.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
712 Posts
Waboman, I'm floored man. Your setup is incredible. I love the MCD500. What a player!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by hometheatergeek /forum/post/17695718


I finally got a chance to compliment your setup.


You have some nice heavy hitting equipment list there Wabo. I've worked on a couple of installs in the past with Mcintosh equipment but not the pairing with Martin Logan speakers. I wish I lived near you just to hear how good that must sound.


Like everyone else said, we need to find budget airfare and all come over and sit a spell while being mesmerized by your system.

Thanks HTG. I really appreciate the kind words.



Come on by, the door is always open to my HT buddies. Cheers.


Quote:
Originally Posted by hometheatergeek /forum/post/0


Nice laserdisc player. I own the CLD-97. I can not believe we spent over $1800.00 for those players back when.

Lol. I was pretty big into LDs back in the day. And they weren't cheap.
Sadly, I've retired my player to the closet and sold off most of my collection. I did keep a few though. All my Disney CAV titles, most of my DTS titles and a few odds and ends...


For example, my CAV Star Wars box set with Han shooting first
before Lucas messed it up.





The Japanese import of Episode 1. This was before it was released on DVD. I think I paid close to $100 for this!
What was I thinking???





And the original THX Wow! montage on LD. Which I have replaced with it's blu-ray counterpart. I used to demo this thing all the time. Brings back fond memories of the glory days...

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by btf1980 /forum/post/17701359


Waboman, I'm floored man. Your setup is incredible. I love the MCD500. What a player!

Thanks btf1980.



I had a chance to check out your system as well. Wow! First off, you take great photos! I love that stand your TT is on. Plus the Marantz SA-15 SACD player is purty sexy too. I'd like to get some better power conditioners/surge protectors. I'm lacking in that area. *Sigh* Someday perhaps...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,413 Posts

Quote:
Lol. I was pretty big into LDs back in the day. And they weren't cheap.
Sadly, I've retired my player to the closet and sold off most of my collection. I did keep a few though. All my Disney CAV titles, most of my DTS titles and a few odds and ends...

Yes my friend, it was, and is an expensive hobby. But you and I where able to enjoy, for at least 10 years, the cutting edge movie experience. Thanks for stopping by my thread and leaving a post.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,817 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman /forum/post/17690753


Thanks for the kind words, BasicBlak. However, if you ask my wife, she'll say I still haven't grown up yet.

Hey, that's okay... There's something to be said for those of us among the Romper Room crowd.



Funny you and Geek should mention laserdiscs. I, too, was among the LD fanatics back in the day. And I still have several of them including the three you posted above. (THX Wow! is a true gem of a collectors item now.) And you guys are right, we paid an absolute fortune for those things. I musta been completely off my rocker back then! The first T2 CAV special edition set me back a cool C-note. And let us not forget how 20th Century Fox, probably the greediest of all the studios, never failed to stick it to us with their titles. Oh but what fun we had getting screwed at the cash register!



Josh Zyber of High Def Digest.com had probably one of the best quotes I've ever seen in an AVSF signature. In response to complaint about the current price of Blu-ray titles, shut up, "...Bend over, and take it like a former laserdisc owner." LOL... Classic!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,332 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BasicBlak /forum/post/17702665


Hey, that's okay... There's something to be said for those of us among the Romper Room crowd.



Funny you and Geek should mention laserdiscs. I, too, was among the LD fanatics back in the day. And I still have several of them including the three you posted above. (THX Wow! is a true gem of a collectors item now.) And you guys are right, we paid an absolute fortune for those things. I musta been completely off my rocker back then! The first T2 CAV special edition set me back a cool C-note. And let us not forget how 20th Century Fox, probably the greediest of all the studios, never failed to stick it to us with their titles. Oh but what fun we had getting screwed at the cash register!



Josh Zyber of High Def Digest.com had probably one of the best quotes I've ever seen in an AVSF signature. In response to complaint about the current price of Blu-ray titles, shut up, "...Bend over, and take it like a former laserdisc owner." LOL... Classic!


LOL, YES, that is classic !!! cld-d907 owner here. i have a small stack of disc's. watched most of em 1 time
. it is because of this, that i learned NOT to spend a bunch of money on this stuff. i have a couple of reference, and thats it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,792 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BasicBlak /forum/post/17702665


Hey, that's okay... There's something to be said for those of us among the Romper Room crowd.



Funny you and Geek should mention laserdiscs. I, too, was among the LD fanatics back in the day. And I still have several of them including the three you posted above. (THX Wow! is a true gem of a collectors item now.) And you guys are right, we paid an absolute fortune for those things. I musta been completely off my rocker back then! The first T2 CAV special edition set me back a cool C-note. And let us not forget how 20th Century Fox, probably the greediest of all the studios, never failed to stick it to us with their titles. Oh but what fun we had getting screwed at the cash register!



Josh Zyber of High Def Digest.com had probably one of the best quotes I've ever seen in an AVSF signature. In response to complaint about the current price of Blu-ray titles, shut up, "...Bend over, and take it like a former laserdisc owner." LOL... Classic!

BasicBlak, you are the man!! Nicely done!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,912 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman /forum/post/17702242


Thanks HTG. I really appreciate the kind words.



Come on by, the door is always open to my HT buddies. Cheers.





Lol. I was pretty big into LDs back in the day. And they weren't cheap.
Sadly, I've retired my player to the closet and sold off most of my collection. I did keep a few though. All my Disney CAV titles, most of my DTS titles and a few odds and ends...


For example, my CAV Star Wars box set with Han shooting first
before Lucas messed it up.





The Japanese import of Episode 1. This was before it was released on DVD. I think I paid close to $100 for this!
What was I thinking???





And the original THX Wow! montage on LD. Which I have replaced with it's blu-ray counterpart. I used to demo this thing all the time. Brings back fond memories of the glory days...


Those are definitely some collectible LD's. I too was a big time LD collector during the 90's. A lot of cool memories of those days. I don't use my LD player too much these days, but when I want to see that certain LD that was never released on DVD or Blu-ray (Ransom extended version comes to mind), that's when I'm happy I kept on to it.


And again AWESOME setup mi amigo!



Seth
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,413 Posts
Wow I did not know we had alot of HT early adopters on this forum. So many LD owners who did not have the sense to just stick with VHS until DVD came along.



Maybe if we had not read Widescreen Review (How many subscribers besides me?), we would all have even better systems than we currently own.

Quote:
"...Bend over, and take it like a former laserdisc owner."
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,290 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hometheatergeek /forum/post/17705513


Wow I did not know we had alot of HT early adopters on this forum. So many LD owners who did not have the sense to just stick with VHS until DVD came along.



Maybe if we had not read Widescreen Review (How many subscribers besides me?), we would all have even better systems than we currently own.




Hello HTG!


Remember when DVD's first hit the market in 1996-7? Widescreen Review would defend the laser disc technology to it's death?!
To me, it was a no-brainer to adopt the dvd concept. And I love my laser discs. I had a Pioneer Elite LD player and collected my share of LD's. But once DVD's came on the scene, it was a wrap. The convenience in storage space alone made me switch!


Those were the days!


Regards,
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,332 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hometheatergeek /forum/post/17705513


Wow I did not know we had alot of HT early adopters on this forum. So many LD owners who did not have the sense to just stick with VHS until DVD came along.






i have had a system since about 1985. it was a simple stereo setup. but it was set up RIGHT. i heard PRO-LOGIC surround, out of 2 speakers. before i even knew what surround was. i sat there watching a movie, and the sounds around my head. i was like "
wth was that !"



then i met my wife. her dad was into it. he gave me his STEREOPHILE mags.

i then had to go out and buy all new gear.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
318 Posts
Extremely clean looking- great choices in gear in EVERY area! ML speakers rock and I love the JL subs! Not only does it look organized and clean, it looks ultra-professional, too. So many other theaters on this forum look like a place where equipment has been dumped in random places and look cluttered and messy. They can all take a page from your book here. Beautiful theater and I am sure you get endless hours of enjoyment on building and watching in this room!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by BasicBlak /forum/post/17702665


Hey, that's okay... There's something to be said for those of us among the Romper Room crowd.



Funny you and Geek should mention laserdiscs. I, too, was among the LD fanatics back in the day. And I still have several of them including the three you posted above. (THX Wow! is a true gem of a collectors item now.) And you guys are right, we paid an absolute fortune for those things. I musta been completely off my rocker back then! The first T2 CAV special edition set me back a cool C-note. And let us not forget how 20th Century Fox, probably the greediest of all the studios, never failed to stick it to us with their titles. Oh but what fun we had getting screwed at the cash register!



Josh Zyber of High Def Digest.com had probably one of the best quotes I've ever seen in an AVSF signature. In response to complaint about the current price of Blu-ray titles, shut up, "...Bend over, and take it like a former laserdisc owner." LOL... Classic!


Double B, you hit the nail on the head.


I have three or four T2's on LD.
What were we thinking??? And speaking of 20th Century Fox, remember the CAV box sets of Aliens & The Abyss? I think they were close to a hundo each! I bought both of them. Josh Zyber's signature was spot on, "...Bend over, and take it like a former laserdisc owner."



But those were some damn fun times.


 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyeah32 /forum/post/17705258


Those are definitely some collectible LD's. I too was a big time LD collector during the 90's. A lot of cool memories of those days. I don't use my LD player too much these days, but when I want to see that certain LD that was never released on DVD or Blu-ray (Ransom extended version comes to mind), that's when I'm happy I kept on to it.


And again AWESOME setup mi amigo!



Seth

Thanks, Seth.



I was unaware the Ransom extended version was not available on either DVD or blu-ray. I wonder how many more of our cherished LD's didn't make the cut to DVD/blu-ray?


Should we start the LD revolution? The resistance begins here!


Viva la revolution!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuDLP /forum/post/17711817


Extremely clean looking- great choices in gear in EVERY area! ML speakers rock and I love the JL subs! Not only does it look organized and clean, it looks ultra-professional, too. So many other theaters on this forum look like a place where equipment has been dumped in random places and look cluttered and messy. They can all take a page from your book here. Beautiful theater and I am sure you get endless hours of enjoyment on building and watching in this room!

Thank you, NuDLP for the very nice compliments..




Quote:
Originally Posted by adabo /forum/post/17712858


Apartment or not, your neighbors will hate you

Nah, I have beer.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
23,384 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman /forum/post/17715848


Thanks, Seth.



I was unaware the Ransom extended version was not available on either DVD or blu-ray. I wonder how many more of our cherished LD's didn't make the cut to DVD/blu-ray?


Should we start the LD revolution? The resistance begins here!


Viva la revolution!

I have to admit that is one era I missed the LD era. That was the time I was playing Bass, had a mullett and thought I was Billy Ray Cyrus. As you can see my music career went far.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,511 Posts
McIntosh Monos! If I had the space and money, they'd definitely work with my MCD301. That is, if they're solid state (I'm not patient enough to deal with tubes, I think). If not them, then Brystons.


Still, it's an elegant setup you have. I have an Elite DVL-91, and it still gets some work as I have about 160 LDs. I'd say rack it if you can, and play those LDs.
 
41 - 60 of 1443 Posts
Top