AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When the lights are off in my room & Im watching the set I can see a transparent hole in the center of my speaker grill that emits light from inside the TV-is this normal. I have the 507. For a short while I had the 467 & I dont remember this

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No its right below it. Essentially in the dark you can see into the set & a glow coming from inside

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I tried taking a pic. Its not very good becasue I had to do it in the dark, but you can see the light. The hole is shaped like a kidney-the smaller inner curve part wrapping around the bottom of the chrome light indicator on the grille. If you look close at the pic you can see the chrome center at the top & barely make out the kidney shape

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by frankhj
Nothing like that on my HLN4365. Only light is out the back.
Great, now im starting to wonder if my set is missing a part or something fell of in transport :(

·
Registered
916 Posts
Yeah I have the same thing on my HLN617. It's light leakage from *somewhere* coming out the front-center speaker grille. I covered it up when I was lining the inside of the display with Duvetyne.

But now that I think about it, there *shouldn't* be light leakage, as far as I know, so maybe this is a glitch worthy of tech support.

Rick

·
Premium Member
10,419 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ender21
...But now that I think about it, there *shouldn't* be light leakage, as far as I know, so maybe this is a glitch worthy of tech support
I would call tech support. This could be dangerous if the light is not filtered. Sony has many warnings about UV exposure around the projector and bulb assembly.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Funny it never even concerned me before now. I just figured it was an oversight..... now I'll have to go take off all the Duvetyne I labored to install! ;)

Rick

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
I think the grille is removable... maybe you can pull it off, tape up the hole, put it back on. Besides the distraction, you could be looking at unfiltered UV light for hours which could be burning the same spot on your retinas (worst case scenario).

·
Registered
148 Posts
I see some light coming out of my front grille as well (5065), and even more out of the rear onto the wall. All of it looks ambient, not direct, and I was not concerned about it until now. When I get home I will take a closer look, and try to block the light from coming out of the front.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Branas,

Same for me. I just assumed this was normal. Somehow I'm guessing it probably is.

·
Registered
727 Posts
My 437 did that......I wouldn't be to excited about it, it's a box with a light bulb in it your going to get some pinholes of light from various area's.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by umr
I would call tech support. This could be dangerous if the light is not filtered. Sony has many warnings about UV exposure around the projector and bulb assembly.
Now when did Sony start using UV bulbs?

·
Registered
761 Posts
Ender21...what is DUVETYNE....or better yet...does it help anything?

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
All the bulbs emit some UV light... it's pretty high, around 20-30% or so.

UV light of that intensity is VERY bad for your eyes, if you stare into that very 100W lamp for a few hours you'll find yourself permenantly blind. A small pinhole isn't as bad, obviously, but if it's hitting the same spot on your retinas, it could be.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Duvetyne is a black, light absorbing cloth that you can buy to line the inside of your RPTV in order to cut down on ambient light, which should thus lower black levels and in some cases perhaps even helps with internal reflection issues.

Different displays and different technologies respond better to this treatment. For instance I noticed a bigger difference in my Hitachi CRT RPTV after using Duvetyne than on my DLP.

To put it in quantifiable terms, using Video Essentials, before I used the Duvetyne I had brightness set at 45... after using Duvetyne I was able to set it at 43. If I didn't already have the Duvetyne that difference would hardly seem worth the effort, but since I have plenty on hand it was just 30 minutes-worth of work.

Also, as with any other in-home tinkering of this sort, it should be noted that opening up your RPTV to install Duvetyne would likely void any warranty on your set. When i needed work done on my Hitachi I went through the process of taking it out and then putting it back in again after the work was done.

Rick

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
ender21,

I've been looking at the benefits of this duvetyne thing (and velvet and super-black krylon, etc) and it seems like the benefits are darker blacks and improved color saturation.

So, what I don't understand is the difference in your brightness setting. In theory, if the black level was deeper, you'd be able to actually raise the brightness and keep the black levels the same (after duvetynning). Why would you drop - or be able to drop- the brightness levels after the treatment?

thanks

D

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.