AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wrote a pretty enthusiastic review of the 931 and HS10 a few weeks ago, but thought I'd write this as a retraction in case there's anyone that might have been influenced by my review (as unlikely as that may seem).

I have been pretty happy with the 931 until yesterday when I purchased and watched Lawrence of Arabia SuperBit. (By the way if you're an LOA fan I HIGHLY recommend it).

As the initial credits came on screen, I noticed some of the last letters were actually missing on the right hand side of the screen. (I was watching in 1080i mode). When I later tried the disc in my laptop, the credits were indeed centered on the right half of the screen but there was also a margin to the right of the last letters that appearently the Samsung 931 had lost completely. I didn't go through all the hassles of getting a DVI setup to watch cropped movies.

So despite an otherwise problem free experience its going back, and I'll grit my teeth and see what happens with the Bravo. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by HTCrazy
I wrote a pretty enthusiastic review of the 931 and HS10 a few weeks ago, but thought I'd write this as a retraction in case there's anyone that might have been influenced by my review (as unlikely as that may seem).

I have been pretty happy with the 931 until yesterday when I purchased and watched Lawrence of Arabia SuperBit. (By the way if you're an LOA fan I HIGHLY recommend it).

As the initial credits came on screen, I noticed some of the last letters were actually missing on the right hand side of the screen. (I was watching in 1080i mode). When I later tried the disc in my laptop, the credits were indeed centered on the right half of the screen but there was also a margin to the right of the last letters that appearently the Samsung 931 had lost completely. I didn't go through all the hassles of getting a DVI setup to watch cropped movies.

So despite an otherwise problem free experience its going back, and I'll grit my teeth and see what happens with the Bravo. :rolleyes:
Thats a known problem(image shifted to the right on some tvs) & there is a fix via firmware. Just call Samsung & they will ship you a firmware cd

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I assume I have the latest firmware since the older firmware would have produced snow on my 1080i which isn't the case. Have there been 2 firmware releases?

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Quote:
I assume I have the latest firmware since the older firmware would have produced snow on my 1080i which isn't the case. Have there been 2 firmware releases?

You have the latest firmware if there is a DVI output option(i believe its option A or B) in the player's setup menus.

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yep, there's a DVI output option. Also the problem isn't that the picture shifts to the right, its that some of the picture on the right side of the screen is not there at all.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Darn, almost bought one. Loved the Samsung Fill Screen mode feature.

Could this be what would fix the issue or is it causing the issue.

This is not aceptable. Who would want a DVD player that cuts content off?

There must be a fix somewhere.

Anyone call Samsung yet (tell them your a memeber of the AVS Forum and many are waiting for an answer), you might get a better responce.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Quote:
yep, there's a DVI output option. Also the problem isn't that the picture shifts to the right, its that some of the picture on the right side of the screen is not there at all.
Did you try switching modes? If you did, you might just have a defective unit. Ive had mine hooked up to 2 DVI RPTVs(Hitachi 51SWX20B & Panansonic PT-50LC13)& on the hitachi the picture was shifted to the right & its perfect on the Panny. Im still waiting for the firmware fix from Samsung

·
Registered
24 Posts
Can anyone clarify what exactly that is? I just got my HD931 and it was set to B from the factory. I switched it to A and i can't seem to tell the difference. btw...I have an HLN567 fw302. Does anyone know what that option A or B is or what it is used for?

In the manual under troubleshooting it says:

"Abnormal DVI output screen" -> "When the screen in replay is biased, please select A or B in the DVI Output Mode menu"

·
Registered
716 Posts
I just picked up LOA superbit. I watched a bit of it, and didn't notice that. But, I'll check again tonight and see if mine does the same thing. (My 931 is about 1 month old and does have the DVI A/B selection. It's set to B).

So, if yours has the two modes, did you try both A and B? Also, did you try other resolutions like 720p?

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Check out the opening credits. I found out I have 2 weeks left to return mine, so I'll keep futzing with it 'til then. I remembered the A and B modes while I was at the store, so I took it back home and I'll give it a try tonight.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Basically, they added the 2 modes(A&B) if you have the "image shifted to the right or left" problem via DVI. Each mode puts out a different frequency(or something to that effect) for compatability with all DVI equipped TVs. So if your image is shifted then your supposed to switch DVI modes.

·
Registered
776 Posts
The problem isn't just a shifted image, it's actual cropping. I measured a 3-5% increase in overscan, in all directions, with the 931 via DVI. It's a major reason it went back for me, too.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Kevin Korom
The problem isn't just a shifted image, it's actual cropping. I measured a 3-5% increase in overscan, in all directions, with the 931 via DVI. It's a major reason it went back for me, too.
Thats funny, I dont have that problem. must be with certian sets that it happens

·
Registered
845 Posts
Quote:
Why doesn't this player use the faroudja chip when it outputs a signal thru component? If it's already in the player, why increase the cost by having to chips.
People buy this player for the DVI not component output. This Faroudja chip can only do digital to digital scaling/deinterlacing. (you can read about the chip on their web site)

I wouldn't want to pay for an extra chip I don't need.

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Edmundo Lopez

Why doesn't this player use the faroudja chip when it outputs a signal thru component? If it's already in the player, why increase the cost by having to chips.
The HD931 uses the MPEG decoder of Ziva 5 for all video output, so there's no savings since they need both chips anyway. The strange part is that they could have used the FL2310's 480i and p output with the component outputs by spending another $20 for some video DACs. Even if the player's cost increased by $30, they could have increased their market greatly. A very strange business decision IMO.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by xbrjoe
Can anyone clarify what exactly that is? I just got my HD931 and it was set to B from the factory. I switched it to A and i can't seem to tell the difference. btw...I have an HLN567 fw302. Does anyone know what that option A or B is or what it is used for?

In the manual under troubleshooting it says:

"Abnormal DVI output screen" -> "When the screen in replay is biased, please select A or B in the DVI Output Mode menu"
I've posted this information before on the forum and it is also in my Samsung HD931 review in the current issue of Widescreen Review (also posted at the WSR website).

The DVI-A vs DVI-B mode shifts the horizontal picture centering on DVI-equipped CRT-based TVs. It will shift the centering about 2.3% in the 1080i mode and 3.1% in the 720p mode. It should have no effect on fixed-pixel projectors or displays as explained below.

This is a good compatibility feature. Most CRT-based displays sync off the FALLING edge of the tri-level sync pulse (although some may follow the SMPTE standard discussed below) when receiving analog 720p or 1080i signals. The picture is then adjusted at the factory to be centered relative to the sync reference position.

Here's the problem. The SMPTE standard says that the reference position is in the CENTER (rising edge) of the tri-level sync pulse. The difference between the falling edge of the tri-level sync pulse and the rising edge of the tri-level sync pulse is 44 clocks (40 for 720p), or 2.3% of the 1080i picture width. If the DVI embedded sync is put at the correct SMPTE standard position, AND if the display does not have separate positioning adjustments for analog and DVI signals, then the 1080i DVI picture will be shifted by 2.3% relative to analog signals.

The DVI-A vs DVI-B feature selects whether the DVI embedded sync aligns with the falling edge of the analog tri-level sync, or the center (rising edge) of the analog tri-level sync. One or the other of those positions should agree with the whichever edge of the tri-level sync is used by the display for analog signals, and therefore also center the DVI picture. Of course that assumes that the display's analog and DVI inputs are actually centered at the factory using one (or separately both) of the sync references.

None of this affects fixed-pixel displays, which is why no one here sees a difference with DLP or other fixed-pixel projectors or panels. Those products do not use the DVI embedded sync for positioning, they use something called the DVI DE signal. (Of course there could always be an exception, but I don't know of any.)

Incidentally, the new AccuPel HDG-3000 calibration generator also includes the ability to select the DVI embedded H-sync position for these same reasons.

Greg Rogers

AccuPel

Widescreen Review

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
OK I finally got around to trying out the DVI B setting with Lawrence of Arabia SB. When the credits came on that before resulted in losing the N from David Lean's name to the right, this time it was there with a decent margin on the side. Eyeballing it, it looked just like it did on my DVD player.

Whoops, got through almost all the credits by the r in Parker was lost. So back to the laptop, it now appears that its loosing just a bit on both sides now rather than a healthy swath on the right.

Good but not great news. Given the problems with the Bravo, I might decide to live with Sammy for awhile. In any case I have two more weeks to decide.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.