AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been using my HLN437W for several weeks now. Today when I turned it on, the picture had big vertical bars lined up across the picture and no images can be made out. I haven't done anything to the TV since using it yesterday.

I tried switching from DVI (connected to the PC), component (connected to a Comcast cable STB), and S-Video (connected to VCR), and they all have the same problem. Attached is a photo of the screen when showing what displays when tuned to a Comcast cable music channel.

Anyone have any idea what's wrong?

·
Registered
252 Posts
Try some of the SM tweaks, maybe that will clean it up.

Just kidding of course.:D Is your TV still under warranty?

·
Registered
980 Posts
Youre tv is busted. Take it back

·
Registered
252 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Craigger
Another dead sammy! guess an extended warranty is a must on this set.
The Sammy's not dead. That's DLP Tetris.

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Craigger
Another dead sammy! guess an extended warranty is a must on this set.
I don't think we have any evidence one way or anyother on that. Everything we've seen has been problems that show up early. I.E. covered under normal warranty. Your average electronic device tends to fail early or late, which is why extended warranties that cover years 2-3 or 2-5 don't have many claims.

Now maybe these TV's have flaws that will lead to lots of claims in the extended warranty period. Maybe they won't. We just don't know.

·
Registered
714 Posts
I assume you've tried power off/unplugging and power back on? Similar events occasionally pop up on these boards. Most are cleared by cycling power.

Also, maybe you need to remove those corner protectors on the set ;)

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Isn't leaving the corner protectors on the new cool chic? -- kind of like pocket protectors and Cher? :)

But never say that et415 is not openminded. So this morning, I took off the corner protectors and now there's NO image at all on the screen---it's blank! I gotta put those corner protectors back on and see what happens.

I'm actually kidding about the corner protectors, but I'm not kidding about the blank screen when I turned on the unit this morning. What's interesting is that in the back of the unit, there are some venting slots that normally shine bright white light out through them when the unit is on. But now they project a rainbow of light that slowly changes colors. Maybe it's a color wheel problem.

I have a call into Samsung customer support now. I have old version 2.09 firmware on this thing. I hope they upgrade my firmware when they fix the thing.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Good luck with the new board. I'll say one thing for Samsung, they do respond to customer's requests and needs. I have dealt with them twice this year, and though they did not respond as soon as I would have liked, I always got a return call.

Just got my 437 today, and I took the protectors off, but you know what, I think I might just put them back...

·
Registered
16,728 Posts
AFU.............is that: Awfully Fine Unit??

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The guy called to confirm his appointment for this morning. I turned on the Sammy, and, of course, it turns on with a perfect picture. I hope it stays OK, though of course it's going to break down the day after the warranty expires.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by et415
I've been using my HLN437W for several weeks now. Today when I turned it on, the picture had big vertical bars lined up across the picture and no images can be made out. I haven't done anything to the TV since using it yesterday.
OUCH! That's gotta hurt :(.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by et415
The guy called to confirm his appointment for this morning. I turned on the Sammy, and, of course, it turns on with a perfect picture. I hope it stays OK, though of course it's going to break down the day after the warranty expires.
Damn those corner protectors!!!

Messing with them is as dangerous as entering the UM :)

·
Premium Member
4,316 Posts
You've had this set several weeks and it's got firmware 209?! I wonder where it's been all this time!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by leesweet
You've had this set several weeks and it's got firmware 209?! I wonder where it's been all this time!
How do you know what firmware I have? I got it 6/16, which I think is pretty early for this HLN model. Will they upgrade the firmware if they fix whatever is wrong with the picture?

·
Registered
948 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by tmila
The Sammy's not dead. That's DLP Tetris.
hehe

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.