AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I got a Samsung PN50C8000 from Amazon last Decemeber and all of a sudden today I lose the video but I still have the sound. The screen looks as if it's off even when it's on. Also, the red light on the lower right corner of the tv stays on even when I turn on the tv. I'm going to call Samsung in the morning to see what they say. I guess I'll be spending my weekend with the hurricane without a tv

·
Registered
11,766 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillies /forum/post/20868673

Hello,

I got a Samsung PN50C8000 from Amazon last Decemeber and all of a sudden today I lose the video but I still have the sound. The screen looks as if it's off even when it's on. Also, the red light on the lower right corner of the tv stays on even when I turn on the tv. I'm going to call Samsung in the morning to see what they say. I guess I'll be spending my weekend with the hurricane without a tv

HDMI handshake issue ? Try turning off source and tv and then disconnect cable on both ends plug back in and then power on tv and components.

Also might try unplugging tv from outlet for a few minutes.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I just had this issue fixed on my yesterday on my pn58c8000 , they've just released new firmware , that fixes the hdmi handshake issue

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I tried unplugging the cable box from the tv and still nothing at all on the screen. I called Samsung and a tech is coming out next Friday. But if I have no screen how could I upload new firmware?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Make sure to check for cracks on the screen. You can't see them very easily (even if you know where it is on the screen). Shine a flashlight at it.

Since you still have audio, it's probably not HDMI issues (unless you have a sound system, and that's where the audio is coming from).

I take it you can't even see the menu on the screen?

Do you hear the melody when it turns on/off?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, I hear the meloday when I turn the tv on and off. Can't see the menu screen. The screen looks like it's not even on. The tech guy comes next Friday so hopefully he can fix it. It's still under warranty.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Okay, well, you never said if there were any cracks or not, or if you even checked.

If there are, you might have a difficult time getting it covered under warranty (depending on the type of crack).

I wish you luck, and please post back with your results.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't see any cracks and the tv is mounted on the wall and nobody ever touches the tv. Hopefully the tech guy replaces a bad board and all is good
Will let you know next week.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just wanted to give an update and maybe report a new problem? Samsung sent a tech out to my house and replaced the video board and the tv worked again. Now 2 weeks later I notice there are some images that appear to be burned into the tv. It's noticeable on black screens. I never had a problem with burned images the previous 9 months I used the tv...

·
Registered
218 Posts
They should go away on their own after a while. If not you can run the scrolling bars in the burn protection section of the user menu.

When you say "video board," which board did he replace? The main? The X-main? etc?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm not sure exactly what he replaced. I think he replaced 2 boards that were on one side of the tv. If I turn on a channel that has black bars on the top of the screen I can see many flickering light green pixels where there should be solid black. I can only notice in when there is black on the screen otherwise it's not noticeable....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts