AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thnaks to the Forum, I waded my way through all the GG, double drywall, acoustics, and you-name-it discussions, and built my 4th HT in 3 months. Yes, I'm a blasphemer! No GG or double 5/8" drywall for me! But I did all the work myself and the only labor I paid for was carpeting.

I did use single 5/8" drywall on the walls, the entire ceiling is 1/2" MDF including the false beams. Most of that is covered with homemade acoutical panels with Knauf ductliner or real tin ceiling. Sure, the tin ceiling and cork flooring wainscotting are not recommended room treatments, but it sounds great and looks exceptional (lots of WAF).

We were inspired by 10 plaster head figures we purchased last year to build an old world style room. I built a 3" thick 300 lb. door using 2 layers of OSB as a core with rough cedar exterior and added some antigue wrought iron hardware, even a speakeasy. It was a BBuster to install.

Outfitted with AV123 speakers, SVS sub, velvet curtains on a BTX rod, Carada 110" BW, Sharp XVZ2000, and Roman's 088 Berklines (4 w/electric recline), it's a sweet room.

Even though I violated many of the diehard acoustic rules, you guys helped me with many ideas and solutions from construction to electrical, so THANKS!

Here's the links:

Finished room: http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/pad894.../ph//my_photos

Some construction photos:
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/pad894.../ph//my_photos

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
The finished room link did not work for me " The File You Are Looking For Is Inaccessible

Please sign in and try again or check with the owner of the file."

·
Registered
314 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweakophyte
The finished room link did not work for me " The File You Are Looking For Is Inaccessible

Please sign in and try again or check with the owner of the file."
Same here!

·
Registered
585 Posts
Pad that looks great, very well done! On the "welcome" picture with your three signs, I see a light up one on top that looks like it says Dolby Digital. Did you buy that on e-bay from a guy in Hong Kong by chance? It looks like the same signs he is selling, and I have ordered a custom one from him with a Parasound Halo logo on it. Just wondering how the quality is, if it is basically the same thing.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Same guy. Takes some time to arrive, but quality is pretty good. Basically the light is on or off, I have it ona GrafikEye circuit with the Exit sign. It does not like being dimmed. Or better way to say, it notches down very few times, and then it's off. No one has complained yet, but the brightness of it could bother someone, even in the back of the room. I like the sign, but when the room is dark for a movie, any blue glow is bright, and since it does not dim smoothly, you may want to consider that in your elec circuit design.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Where did those sconces come from....man Id hate to steal your idea, but those are exactly what I was looking for...

·
Registered
175 Posts
That door looks like it was worth the work. Nice looking all the way around.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Congratulations! Your room looks great - it's great to see DIY projects like this.

On a side note, have you posted pics of this on the av123 forum? Your HT really showcases Onix Rocket loudspeakers and Emotiva gear, and it would really inspire folks over there who are diehard fans of Mark Schifter's products.

Enjoy your theater :)

- Steve O.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Exceptional theater, Pad! Well done. Very comfortable looking.

-Gary.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Now that looks comfy!

·
Registered
1,355 Posts

·
Registered
7,655 Posts
Nice job. Time to enjoy the fruits of your labor.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The room is 24 feet long, 13' 7" at the front, 15' at the back. Riser is centered on the front section. First row 12' 6" from screen, back row 18 feet. Riser is 12" high and 10 feet wide.

Thanks for looking.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.