AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My family and I decided that we wanted to finish our basement that would serve as both a family/play area as well as a dedicated home theater. We have are 90% finished, except for the drop down screen and projector which will happen when I get a new job (laid off back in March).

Our basement plan

Here is a shot of our basement with most of the studding completed (I don't have any non-studded shots)

Here is shot of where the TV and eventually the screen will go

In wall DVD shelf

Soffit

Insulation going up. No double drywall or green glue. The budget didn't allow for it and noise wasn't really an issue since we would only have the volume turned up at night and my son is in bed on the second floor

Speaker wire getting run

more speaker wire at the gang box

I originally was going to have my sub in front of a piece of furniture. Unfortunaly, we didn't do that so now my sub jack is too far forward. We will eventually get around to moving it back to corner when time allows (the room on the other side is unfinished so it won't be hard.

Play room with built in book shelf

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here is a finished shot of the room

The TV and speakers. A acousticly transparent motarized screen will be installed later to come down in front of the TV later this year. Everything pre-wired for it.

DVD shelf (only half the collection)

Poor sub wiring choice

Gang box

Play room

Built in book shelf

Utility room/weight room

TV shot

Ceiling speakers and future location of my projector

·
Registered
42 Posts
nice house! did you do most of the work yourself? I think you'll have a terriffic theater room. Can't wait to see the projector and screen setup, post pics please

I think most members want to see the progress of your build along with the finished pics. I however will probably only post my finished pics. I am in the final stages of my build and will be finished in the next 3 months or so. Enjoy your room! Wished mine was completed!

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherAaron /forum/post/16987032

nice house! did you do most of the work yourself? I think you'll have a terriffic theater room. Can't wait to see the projector and screen setup, post pics please

I think most members want to see the progress of your build along with the finished pics. I however will probably only post my finished pics. I am in the final stages of my build and will be finished in the next 3 months or so. Enjoy your room! Wished mine was completed!

My cousin and I did all the work ourselves. I was going to post progress picks, but we were too caught up in the work. The projector and screen will come soon I hope. Waiting on my offer letter and signing bonus to figure out if I should get it now or wait.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Looks great -- I wish my wife would have let me keep the concrete floor for the gym part.... Now the treadmill is on two layers of carpets (I insisted) that is on top of the engineered hardwood that I put down. I give the floor 5 years max before it is messed up from the vibrations..

Looks great

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhdiab /forum/post/16988275

Looks great -- I wish my wife would have let me keep the concrete floor for the gym part.... Now the treadmill is on two layers of carpets (I insisted) that is on top of the engineered hardwood that I put down. I give the floor 5 years max before it is messed up from the vibrations..

Looks great

The gym is supposed to be a storage room but since I was laid off I cancelled the gym membership and made some equipment out of plumbing supplies.

As for the built-ins, everything was very cheap. I had to pay my cousin for his labor as he is a full time contractor and did this during regular working hours. Total cost was about $9K which includes everything but the furniture and AV equipment.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Really nice Eric. This is the sort of room I am hoping to have in our basement. All the over the top stuff I see here is great, but it is really nice to see someone do such a fine job with a "normal" house. I will be looking forward to hearing details on the screen.

Here's hoping that job comes through for you.

J

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks! I didn't want to invest too much into the basement as this is our first home and a town home. We plan on moving in the next two years, and we consider this something that will help us sell our homes more than our neighbors. I'm just glad here in PA, our real estate values haven't dropped much at all.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.