AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a new Pioneer 5020 for CHristmas and had the DirecTV guy come out to install the HD service (add on to my existing package). Unfortunately, he informed me that there are way too many trees anywhere on my property to put up the new dish which would be able to have a clear shot to all of the 5 required satellites for their HD service. I asked him if I could even plant a phone pole in the front yard, but the problem there is the phone poles are only ~40-50' tall. I would need a cellular tower
to get a clear southern exposure over the 80-100' trees.

Currently we have a DirecTV dish pointed through a low spot in the trees at one satellite and it works fine.

My problem now is this, we moved into this area (southern Cecil County, MD) about 3 years ago. There is only basic cable provided by Comcast (no HD, no internet, and no Digital or On Demand). There is no Verizon FioS, or even DSL(!) and now I can't even get HDTV via satellite. I've called the Comcast local office several times (every 6 mo's or so) in the past 3 years. Each time they tell me coming soon or next summer, or something else. Today they told me that it's under construction but they've put a hold on all construction projects.

This really stinks because a friend of mine lives 10 miles east of me in Delaware with his Verizon Fios, and we have nothing available.

Does anyone know of any point of contact or other information I could use to contact Verizon or Comcast locally to speak with someone who may be in charge of these things? Their telephone customer service people haven't been able to tell me anything, or even listen to me enough to put me through to another person. I had hoped beyond hope that with the Digital transition coming next month that they would need to upgrade my area or risk losing all of their customers here, but that apparently isn't true as they say that existing customer's are fine and ready for the transition.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I need to get a petition going or a letter writing campaign or something... This lack of services in today's world just amazes me living only 10-15 minutes away from other such well connected areas. My next step is an antenna but my neighbor says he only picks up 3 local DTV stations from Baltimore. We live in a small community area with maybe 200 homes on a peninsula about 5 miles from the main trunk highway. Any advice or suggestions?

Thanks,

Wayne

Chesapeake City, MD

·
Registered
196 Posts
wayn0,

I was kind of in the same scenario. I just got a new plasma and had SD DirectTv and wanted to upgrade to HD DirectTV and due to other problems had to move my dish too. The new location could pick up SD but not HD.

Fortunately, I do have Comcast in my area with HD, although I would SO MUCH MORE prefer DirectTV with HD.

Anyway, as far as choices, what about calling Dish Network and checkout their lineup? Or some OTA services?

FREE HDTV OTA

AntennaWeb

Click on CHOOSE YOUR ANTENNA and it should help you find a suitable antenna and you can contact a local satellite gear dealer and maybe that can work for you. You may not get all the bells and whistles of paid satellite, but you can get some maybe.

Hope this helps,

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
Yes, Comcast sucks down here doesn't it? I wonder if the new 3 LNB head can be used here since they have Baltimore locals on the new sats. You would only need access to the 99, 101 and 103 sats. I'd ask the installer about it, see if they can get them yet.

http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_disp...OD=AU9-SL3-SWM

It's an SWM set up so if you have any legacy receivers you may need to leave the old dish up also and run the new one independently.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the information guys. I'll try to see if the 3 LNB would be an option. My belief is I'm lucky to get the one satellite I do now due to the trees, but we'll see.

-Thanks,

Wayne

1 - 4 of 4 Posts