AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I've had a pretty static config for DVD and XviD watching.. I've used 2x DVD resize and luma sharpen for XviD and dscaler sharpening for DVD's since I don't even have enough power to do 2x dvd resize for dvd's.

And lately I've noticed that I have too high sharpness settings (noise, ringing etc) under some circumstances and then I just thought, what the hell, why not do a big time test session while I'm at it.

I've seen that some people like to use a filter called unsharp mask, so I tried that and compared different configurations of dscaler sharpening and resize+luma and OMG.. unsharp mask is unbelievable. The sharpness and detail I get with unsharp mask is beyond anything I get with max settings from dscaler sharpening and resize+luma.

At that time I did have a little too much unsharp mask (strength 100 ;) and I soon noticed the ringing involved with it. It was crisp beyond anything though.

After some testing and tweaking I came to a number of 30.. for DVD-use. For XviD's I use strength 40 now. I'll maybe tweak it a little more if that is required but at the moment it's perfect. For XviD's I also have 720x576 resize after the unsharp mask (since my TV-out is 720x576 and XviD's are lower so I'll get slight boost of PQ from that).

For DVD-use I don't have anything else other than unsharp mask.. don't really have the power or need for resize.. tv-out is 720x576 and so are the DVD's so it's maybe best not to do any resizing since it's already pixel per pixel.

Right now the picture seems very nice for both DVD and XviD use.. very sharp picture and detailed but not too sharp or unreal looking.. also no ringing or EE or extra noise. May require slight tweaking if I do notice something weird but now it's perfect.

For people who want to know my setup: Hardware is GF6800LE outputting S-video @ 720x576 and Panasonic PAL i576 32" tv. For software I'm using Zoom Player with WinDVD 5 video filters, ac3filter audio, reclock audio and FFDshow.

Well anyway.. there it is. Just wanted to inform this forum of my results.. I was so darn surprised.. I have never even tried unsharp mask before today and apparently my setup really likes it. It's definitely worth to try everything from resize+sharpen to dscaler sharpening and my new favorite, unsharp mask. You never know what will work best with your setup.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.