AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I never felt like I could compete with any of the other systems on this forum, but I was encouraged to list details & post pics, so here goes:

Marantz SR14EX receiver

DirecTV HR21-700 DVR

4 way off brand HDMI switch (can't remember model off hand & can't get up to go look)

Xbox 360 with HDMI

Sony PS3 80 gb

Toshiba 65H84 CRT Rear Projection TV

NHT SC-1 center channel

pair of Martin Logan Aerius-i for front mains

NHT SW10ii subwoofer

NHT SB-1 speakers for surround

I had the SB-1s for fronts as well until I ran into the Martin Logans recently at a local new/used dealer. Couldn't pass them up at $850, so now they are the reason I had to completely rearrange the living room!

Marantz receiver doesn't do HDMI switching so I had to go to a third party solution.

Satellite receiver, Xbox 360, PS3 all feed HDMI for video only to the TV, audio is optical or coax to the Marantz. Other item on HDMI switch is gigabit ethernet switch for data to DVR & game machines & rest of network.

I know it's not a single branded system or all the most current parts, but I've basically built it on a budget, getting equipment when & where I can over the years. Let me know what you all think.

·
Registered
267 Posts
It looks excellent! And I LOVE those chairs! Thanks for sharing

·
Registered
720 Posts
Pretty sweet start my friend. Its so much more fun piecing something together because you always get to keep buying things. Granted its cool to drop a few grand and get a new system but half the fun is building upon what you have. Good Work!

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Nice and cozy! The ML's were a great buy for $850. Hehe, I agree with Triaxtremec above, it's a lot of fun building, adding and changing your system...

Cheers

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the comments. I plan to upgrade the center to a ML center to get tonal balance back. I can definitely notice now when things pan from left to center to right or vice versa. ML subwoofer is in the works at some point also, but I gotta plan & save for it, I'm determined to not use credit for any of it anymore.

I occasionally have a Magnavox XM radio dock and a ProJect Ipod dock attached to the receiver, but the Ipod dock is on the bedroom system (definitely not worthy of another post) for falling to sleep music purposes, and the XM radio is used for morning talk radio in another room.

This is all in our "second" place (apartment), we're currently relocated to Mesa, AZ for wife's work. We'll be here for a couple more years most likely, then going back to the house in Minneapolis (that we still own & where I have a room "dedicated" (wife says 'yeah right!') to home theater. I'd really like to get it all built out like a proper theater, but I don't have the time or $$ or physical ability to do a lot of that work, so I have to "fudge" things a little.

I originally got the 'HT bug' at my house in Minneapolis where I have a 76" screen from an InFocus DLP projector bundle I bought at Sams Club a number of years ago. The projector has since been sold (to another AVS member), but I'm determined to get a replacement projector eventually & utilize that screen once again.

If I ever get to the point of getting that set back up, I'll post pics & details of it also.

Wiring & such isn't too clean in the pics I currently have, I really need to take some time & dress the equipment a little better.

I managed to find the Marantz receiver on a dealer demo shelf and researched it. Discovered that it was a $4800 receiver that they had marked for $1599. Had to make it mine for that price. Same dealer is where I got the NHT speakers, think I made them happy that day.

I swear my next house WILL have a room that I can properly dedicate to home theater.

I joined AVS a while back so I could do some lurking, but I finally felt that I had something worth posting.

Thanks for all the comments, I appreciate it!

·
Registered
2,355 Posts

Quote:
I managed to find the Marantz receiver on a dealer demo shelf and researched it. Discovered that it was a $4800 receiver that they had marked for $1599. Had to make it mine for that price.

Sorry but a 9 yr old receiver that is only 5.1, no PLIIx, no HDMI, no HD codecs for $1600? I would think it must've been a trade-in, not a demo piece. Regardless, nice receiver for sure but I think you should have looked into it a little further.

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
Eh he likes the deal he received, no reason to rain on his parade. He's not putting his sytem out here for us to look at so you can criticize his decision making process. If you want to critique try a more positive approach. Besides, that Marantz has some badass amps that probably can't be matched by recievers in a similar price range today (1500, not original). Same reason I've continued to use my Denon AVR-4802 for so long. It's just built like a tank and I don't want to shell out right now for an upgrade.

I like those Logans. Very good stereo imaging as long as you aren't way off center. You need the Encore center to match. Well that or the Matinee if you want something more serious.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcweber111 /forum/post/16967599

Eh he likes the deal he received, no reason to rain on his parade. He's not putting his sytem out here for us to look at so you can criticize his decision making process.

Thats the thing, its not a deal even if he thinks it is.

And besides, I dont believe my comment was harsh at all. Just telling him like it is.

When an OP writes in "tell me what you think", do you think we should all just bite our tongues and sing nothing but praise?

And if someone wants to start throwing prices around what they paid for this or that, maybe they should be prepared for some criticism.

Also, I didnt get into it but I'm kind of surprised at his "shoestring" budget when $2300 was spent on 5.1 channel receiver and 2 speakers....hardly what I call shoestring but whatever.

I'll let you pat him on the back.

·
Registered
3,558 Posts

Sorry, got a bit defensive there. Yesterday was somewhat stressfull. You're right, critiquing is the name of the game.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I bought the receiver in 2004, it's not a recent purchase. So I've already had 5 yrs of enjoyment out of it, and at the time HDMI switching wasn't included on a lot of receivers. I had component video sources at the time, so I used the SR14 for that purpose. It apparently was marked as a dealer demo, and had been on the shelf for quite some time for unknown reasons. I know it's not the state of the art with the HD codecs, but for what I have in the system, I think it's been worth what I've paid. At the time, I was considering some other brands, including Onkyo/Integra, but from the research I did at the time, I thought the Marantz would give me the best bang for my buck as far as musical quality (and it has the cool Philips Pronto (Marantz branded) touchscreen remote).

The "shoestring" part of the post came from the fact that I've put it together over time, not a single 'lump'. I'm sure I've spent more than some, but I also know I've spent far less than others posting on this forum. Maybe "modest" would've been a better title term, I'll give a lot more thought before I post in the future.

Didn't mean to offend with posting an 'older' receiver, but this isn't a new system build. The MLs are the most recent in my system and even they were from 1998 or so....

Ray

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
It's all good man this is your thread, you decide the direction it takes. Thanks for updating us.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.