AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been piecing together my home theater setup for a while and am getting closer to where I want to be. My components currently consist of the following:

Wood Technology CMV-50CC-E stand

Samsung LN55B640 55" LCD television

JBL N38 front speakers

JBL EC35 center speaker

JBL E20 surround speakers

Onkyo TX-SR505 receiver

Sony PS-LX250H turntable

Custom media center PC

- Antec Fusion Black case

- Abit NF-M2 nView motherboard

- AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ processor

- 4GB G.SKILL PC2-6400 memory

- 128MB NVIDIA GeForce 7300 LE video card

- Hauppauge HVR-2250 tuner

- 40GB Seagate ATA IV hard drive

- 500GB Seagate 7200.10 hard drive

- 16X LITE-ON DVD-ROM drive

- Windows 7 Ultimate RTM

My remaining plans are to replace the N38's with E90's and then add an SVS SB12-Plus subwoofer. Let me know what you guys think:

·
Registered
498 Posts
nice clean setup! looks like you are making the most of the htpc, any plans to jump to blu-ray? good move on the svs, the sub should work great in there. i'm guessing you are looking to save on space with the sb12 vs their ported subs?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndskurfer /forum/post/17018889

nice clean setup! looks like you are making the most of the htpc, any plans to jump to blu-ray? good move on the svs, the sub should work great in there. i'm guessing you are looking to save on space with the sb12 vs their ported subs?

Thanks for the complement. I don't have any immediate plans to jump to Blu-ray because of the lack of clean support in Windows Media Center. Unfortunately, I'm still waiting for Netflix and some other 3rd party plugins to be updated for Windows 7, but otherwise I quite enjoy having everything integrated nicely into a single interface. I'm also very satisfied with the DVD upconversion from Windows Media Center and the HD cable content, so I don't miss Blu-ray yet.

As far as the SB12-Plus, I figure the significantly smaller footprint of the sealed box will afford me greater flexibility in placement once I do get it. I don't think the girlfriend will be happy having to stare at a huge PB13-Ultra in the front of the room

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingus /forum/post/17019534

I like the setup. Especially the contrast b/t the white paint and black equipment. Good aesthetics.

Thanks! The walls are actually going to get painted quite soon to a bit of a light gray color, so I'll have to update the pictures once that's done. I think it should still provide a nice contrast though.

·
Registered
77 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciz28 /forum/post/17019761

Thanks for the complement. I don't have any immediate plans to jump to Blu-ray because of the lack of clean support in Windows Media Center. Unfortunately, I'm still waiting for Netflix and some other 3rd party plugins to be updated for Windows 7, but otherwise I quite enjoy having everything integrated nicely into a single interface. I'm also very satisfied with the DVD upconversion from Windows Media Center and the HD cable content, so I don't miss Blu-ray yet.

As far as the SB12-Plus, I figure the significantly smaller footprint of the sealed box will afford me greater flexibility in placement once I do get it. I don't think the girlfriend will be happy having to stare at a huge PB13-Ultra in the front of the room

Thanks! The walls are actually going to get painted quite soon to a bit of a light gray color, so I'll have to update the pictures once that's done. I think it should still provide a nice contrast though.

That's why she's just the gf, no real say. Go PB-13U!!

Nice setup. Get some drapes or w/e for that window, make it look like theater curtains.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXcelon969 /forum/post/17020084

Get some drapes or w/e for that window, make it look like theater curtains.

Those are in the plans as well. Eventually all of the cheap vertical blinds will be replaced with nicer ones, and there will definitely be nice heavy curtains to block out any light from the window.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciz28 /forum/post/17020104

Those are in the plans as well. Eventually all of the cheap vertical blinds will be replaced with nicer ones, and there will definitely be nice heavy curtains to block out any light from the window.

Let me know what curtains you end up getting. I'm looking (passively) for some myself as well. I have three windows that cause reflections on my tv. The curtains are very expensive the last time I looked but maybe there are some good deals now.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Nice setup. I have one question though. Speakers pushed up against the back wall and side wall is usually terrible for acoustics. Have you played around with placement at all to see if you get better sound? Looking at your pics I think you could get a large improvement in SQ. Try toeing in the fronts toward your seat also.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyrnes /forum/post/17036444

Nice setup. I have one question though. Speakers pushed up against the back wall and side wall is usually terrible for acoustics. Have you played around with placement at all to see if you get better sound? Looking at your pics I think you could get a large improvement in SQ. Try toeing in the fronts toward your seat also.

Thanks for the feedback, I'll have to try playing with placement to see what differences I notice.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Looks good, ciz!! Nice computer setup, too!! If I may: don't miss out on the bluray experience, it's awesome! No matter how good an up-conversion is, it's no match for a bd... Who knows when Microsoft will get their act together and actually do something useful. Oh, and get the pb13... Your room looks big enough to be able to put it in an inconspicuous place. Besides, what better piece of furniture than that? Do something nice for her, flowers, chocolates, whatever it takes...

Peace...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddgtr /forum/post/17037360

Oh, and get the pb13... Your room looks big enough to be able to put it in an inconspicuous place. Besides, what better piece of furniture than that? Do something nice for her, flowers, chocolates, whatever it takes...

Peace...

That's two votes for the PB13-Ultra, maybe I'll have to give it some more serious consideration...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts