AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Sirius Sportster I have been using in my business has been working fine for almost 2 years,, in the last few months or so it just stops working.

The screen is on, shows all the info, and shows full bars but no sound,,, I un-plug it,, let it sit for a few minutes,, plug it back in and its works most of the time for a half hour or so then does the same thing all over again.

Sometimes when I re-boot it gets hung-up in the finding signal mode.

I have moved the antenna around to different locations and that does not seem to make a difference.

I called their customer service but was un-able to talk to anyone that spoke english that I could even understand,,,,,, after 2 hours on the phone of listening to badly broken english and hearing the most insane ideas for a fix I gave up,,,, they told me my antenna needs to be on the roof of my 2 story building my business is in,, Im on the bottom floor and the radio has worked perfectly up until just recently.

I am so pissed at Sirius customer service I will never call back.

Anyhow,, forgive my rant.

So why does my Sirius work only about 60% of the time reguardless of time of day or sat position (another excuss customer service tried to use to explain my problem)

Thanks in advance

Davyo

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the exact same problem with my Audiovox SIR-PNP3. I was using it in two different vehicles so I thought that it was odd that both antennas had gone bad at the same time. I suspected that what had really happened was that Sirius had farked up my PNP unit by repeatedly sending the updates. These older units had the strong FM transmitter built in and that was one of the issues that the FCC had used to hold up approval of the merger. I have read several posts on various forums that talk about the update frying the older PNPs. I ended up spending a total of about 3+ hours on the phone with 4 different CSRs. The last one finally agreed to send me a Stratus 5 with the plug and play kit and only made me pay $7.95 for shipping. I kept calling back and pushing the issue with them becasue I have a lifetime subscription and there is no way that I want to lose that investment.

The Stratus only has 10 presets and a smaller screen, but for $8 I'm not going to complain.

Good luck, don't give up until you get them to see your point of view.

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbills /forum/post/15488046

I had the exact same problem with my Audiovox SIR-PNP3. I was using it in two different vehicles so I thought that it was odd that both antennas had gone bad at the same time. I suspected that what had really happened was that Sirius had farked up my PNP unit by repeatedly sending the updates. These older units had the strong FM transmitter built in and that was one of the issues that the FCC had used to hold up approval of the merger. I have read several posts on various forums that talk about the update frying the older PNPs. I ended up spending a total of about 3+ hours on the phone with 4 different CSRs. The last one finally agreed to send me a Stratus 5 with the plug and play kit and only made me pay $7.95 for shipping. I kept calling back and pushing the issue with them becasue I have a lifetime subscription and there is no way that I want to lose that investment.

The Stratus only has 10 presets and a smaller screen, but for $8 I'm not going to complain.

Good luck, don't give up until you get them to see your point of view.

Cool,, thank you very very much for all that info,,,, I shall use it if I call those bastards again.

And welcome to the forum by the way.

Cheers

Davyo

·
Registered
458 Posts
There's been occasional posts from people with old radios like you have problems. You just may have to update. There are some very good deals out there.

On 1/14/09, unplug your radio.

On 1/15/09, plug it back in and make sure all connections are solid and the antenna is outside unobstructed. Power it on. You should receive another update on Jan 15.

Maybe this update will come through uncorrupted and you'll magically have solved your problem. Maybe not. Worth a try.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts