AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Toshiba TV has 2 component inputs, but I have 4 sources. Here's what I did. My UM digital box goes directly to input #1. On the other input I switch among my DVD, my ExpressVu receiver, and my JVC digital camera (HD 1080i component output). The switch box is an RCA VH920 video source selector which has 6 sets of inputs consisting of one S-video, one RCA video, and two RCA audio connections. The output is the same. I used S-video to chrominance and luminance cables to split each S-video input into two RCA connectors. The component video is then connected thru the one RCA video and the two RCA connectors going thru the S-video inputs. I can see no degradation in the picture. (One note here: During the Masters Golf Tournament, I did see a flicker when the camera followed the ball and there was nothing but sky. This did not happen when I bypassed the switch.)

The S-video to 2 RCA male cables are available from www.a2zcables.com at $11.66 each for quantities of 2 to 6. They are model VY5-1. Notice that these cables have RCA male connectors on them, so you'll need some RCA male to male connectors to mate with your component cables.

The RCA switch is available from www.amazon.com at $79.95. This switch box has pushbuttons for manual selection but can learn 6 separate remote inputs for use with your favorite remote. (Bad news here is that there is no memory in the unit and if the power goes off, you gotta store the commands again.

Al Keown

Phoenix

[This message has been edited by Al K (edited 04-30-2001).]

·
Registered
877 Posts
If you want a switch that really won't break the bank, then get the Audio/Video pushbutton switch from Radio Shack. I use it to switch three components and it works flawlessly. I think it runs $30. Just use the two audio and one video inputs as components and you are good to go. No, there is not loss of signal with this...its a direct switch so there is no bandwidth limitation (at least not anything visible).

Chris

·
Registered
199 Posts
I've use both these switches, the RCA w/remote capability is available for a little less if you shop around, the 3x1 from R.S. is made by Terk and available elsewhere also under their name. Yes, they work but will not give as clean a signal as dedicated component switching, at least, in my experience with them, if you want the best you're components can offer, you may have to bite the bullet.

------------------

hermithill

·
Registered
760 Posts
I use the manual Radio Shack switch for my component video. I do not notice any reduction in signal clarity. I also use a Radio Shack optical switch for my digital sound. Both switches were less than $50 as I recall.

I also have the RCA remote controlled switch which I use for my NTSC inputs.

------------------

Hot

·
Registered
877 Posts
I approached the Radio Shack 4-1 AV pushbutton switch with serious doubts that it would perform up to snuff. I was gladly mistaken in my doubts....this $30 switch works flawlessly.....with ZERO signal degradation! Don't be fooled into spending hundreds of dollars on this unless you are an invalid who can't get up to push a button once or twice a night.

Chris

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.