AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was trying to setup my new HSU VTF3-Mk5 the last 3 days and I encountered a serious shortcoming on my Sony STR-DN850. I'm running all Sony speakers in a 12x12 music room. Sony: ssc5 x4 surrounds, SSCS3 x2 for mains, and a SSCS8 for my center. First of all, the receiver sets all my speakers to large after I run the auto calibration.
I changed all of my speakers to small and set the High Pass crossovers to 15 Hz above each speaker minimum low frequency rating. Mains 70 Hz, surround and center 80hz. I set my subwoofer to the on position in the receiver’s audio setting before I ran auto calibration.
Here comes the problem. I researched the manual, and there is no way to set the low pass crossover. It’s permanently set at 120 Hz.

1. Shouldn’t the receiver set the subwoofer to a lower frequency than my crossover setting than 80 hz for my main speakers? Since, the receiver is controlling the bass management,
2. I ran a test tone and I can hear my subwoofer producing sounds all the way up to 120 Hz. At the same time, my main speakers start producing sounds correctly at the frequency I set them for 70-80 Hz. So, I’m getting an overlap of low frequency between 80 and 120Hz, and it sounds sort of muddy with sub and mains producing the same frequency sounds.
3. I temporally activated the subwoofer’s internal crossover and set it to 90 Hz. I also set all of my regular speakers to 90hz in the receiver’s crossover. Everything sounds amazing.
4. I don’t like the idea of using the subwoofer’s internal crossover when the receiver should be doing it.
5. Will setting the subwoofer’s internal crossover affect my LFE in a negative way?

·
Registered
10,239 Posts
I was trying to setup my new HSU VTF3-Mk5 the last 3 days and I encountered a serious shortcoming on my Sony STR-DN850. I'm running all Sony speakers in a 12x12 music room. Sony: ssc5 x4 surrounds, SSCS3 x2 for mains, and a SSCS8 for my center. First of all, the receiver sets all my speakers to large after I run the auto calibration.
I changed all of my speakers to small and set the High Pass crossovers to 15 Hz above each speaker minimum low frequency rating. Mains 70 Hz, surround and center 80hz. I set my subwoofer to the on position in the receiver’s audio setting before I ran auto calibration.
Here comes the problem. I researched the manual, and there is no way to set the low pass crossover. It’s permanently set at 120 Hz.

1. Shouldn’t the receiver set the subwoofer to a lower frequency than my crossover setting than 80 hz for my main speakers? Since, the receiver is controlling the bass management,
2. I ran a test tone and I can hear my subwoofer producing sounds all the way up to 120 Hz. At the same time, my main speakers start producing sounds correctly at the frequency I set them for 70-80 Hz. So, I’m getting an overlap of low frequency between 80 and 120Hz, and it sounds sort of muddy with sub and mains producing the same frequency sounds.
3. I temporally activated the subwoofer’s internal crossover and set it to 90 Hz. I also set all of my regular speakers to 90hz in the receiver’s crossover. Everything sounds amazing.
4. I don’t like the idea of using the subwoofer’s internal crossover when the receiver should be doing it.
5. Will setting the subwoofer’s internal crossover affect my LFE in a negative way?
Most AVRs (all the ones I know about) don't offer a low pass setting adjustment, the crossover setting of the speakers is what sets the sub's LP. At 70hz the sub "starts" to stop producing the bass directed to those channels and the speakers start producing bass directed to those channels probably before the actual 70hz is achieved.

Try setting all you speakers to 90hz, disable the LP on the sub and see how it sounds.

The 120hz setting in the AVR is probably the LFE affects cut off per THX standards IIRC.

None of the filters are brick walls. There is overlap in both directions.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts