AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so i noticed the other day while watching TV that when i press INFO on my TV it shows 480p SD Dolby Digital when i am viewing a HD channel using Comcast cable.

I have a Motorola HD box that is connected to my Sony LCD TV via HDMI.

So for instance, lets just "say" channel 20 is TBS in SD it will ask, Do you want to watch this channel in HD? if i click ok, it will go to "say" channel 222 which is suppose to be the HD channel of TBS. but regardless of which channel i am on HD or SD my TV displays 480p SD.

I have PS3 and WD Media player connected to it also, and those 2 devices read and display at 1080p.

In my bedroom i have a HD comcast DVR box and the HD channels do display at 1080i, were as the same channel in the front room displays at 480p SD.

Anyone have a clue as to what could be the issue?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman /forum/post/19608174

Check the video settings in the Comcast STB.

Tried that, but there are no video settings anywhere that would have anything to do with HD resolutions or anything of that sort ( just simple, pointless settings for menu colors and what not )

My Sony LCD i look thru the settings also, everything seems to be set fine.

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
Then the only answer is that the Comcast box is not producing HD (720p / 1080i).

Check the box again, or call Comcast and ask for directions.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
maf3kb, which set top box (stb) are you using? I am sure you can adjust the output resolution from the stb. Do you have a manual for the stb? If not, you can find a copy of the manual on line.

Good luck!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Motorola DCH 3200, i have been thru all the settings and see nothing ( unless i am missing something )

Called them 2 times yesterday and they sent a "signal" to my box 2 times yesterday and told me they would call back an hour later and still nothing...

·
Registered
349 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by maf2k8 /forum/post/0

Motorola DCH 3200, i have been thru all the settings and see nothing ( unless i am missing something )

Called them 2 times yesterday and they sent a "signal" to my box 2 times yesterday and told me they would call back an hour later and still nothing...

Power off the cable box then hit menu twice it will bring you to a screen to change the output format. Where it says hdmi/ypbpt output ,scroll to the side to change to 1080 or 720. Set the 4:3 overide to whatever you choose off will leave sidebars on non-hd and the other setting will stretch non-hd. Now power on the box and check your hd channels.

Also make sure you are on the correct input on the tv and not on ant4 or av1 etc. Make sure you're on hdmi input.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
I have my motoroal HD cable box set to output all HD 16:9 aspect ratio content in 1080i and to output all 3D 4:3 aspect radio program content in 480i since my 1080p TV does a much better job of upscaling the SD 4:3 aspect ratio content to 1080p the my Motorola box does upgrading it to 1080i.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,681 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weags /forum/post/19608370

Power off the cable box then hit menu twice it will bring you to a screen to change the output format. Where it says hdmi/ypbpt output ,scroll to the side to change to 1080 or 720. Set the 4:3 overide to whatever you choose off will leave sidebars on non-hd and the other setting will stretch non-hd. Now power on the box and check your hd channels.

Also make sure you are on the correct input on the tv and not on ant4 or av1 etc. Make sure you're on hdmi input.

Yeah, the box is probably not set for HD (720p or 1080i) output.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weags /forum/post/19608370

That did it!!!

and why didnt comcast tell me to check this at all? they were about to send a tech out after they sent " the signal"

thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,145 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by maf2k8 /forum/post/19608964

That did it!!!

and why didnt comcast tell me to check this at all? they were about to send a tech out after they sent " the signal"

thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!

Likely the CSR's previous "experience" was at Best Buy or McDonalds...

·
Registered
349 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by filtor /forum/post/0

Likely the CSR's previous "experience" was at Best Buy or McDonalds...

Spend a day doing what a CSR does and you'll be wishing you were working at Best Buy or McDonalds. I know I wouldnt last past lunchtime. They certainly aren't perfect and being a tech I know firsthand that they make mistakes most technically oriented people wouldn't make. But most of them try hard with what they know. Unless you've encountered the specific scenario your approached with, using someone elses eyes and interpretation of what they are seeing/doing to troubleshoot is no walk in the park.

With that said most CSR's typically do not come from a technical background , its the nature of the job. The techie crowd would go nuts doing their job. And they probably deal with many different models of boxes and guides on top of all the account codes, pricing, packages, specials ,installation procedures and the zillion other things they need to memorize.

The fact is there are certain aspects of all of our jobs that we aren't familiar with. Going out of your way to learn every aspect of your line of business from the top down ,would be admirable yet likely unattainable. Expecting others to achieve this is impractical and unrealistic.

As much as we hate to admit it and I know I do, we can't know everything. Without this flaw of human nature Google would be a penny stock company.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weags /forum/post/19610775

The fact is there are certain aspects of all of our jobs that we aren't familiar with. Going out of your way to learn every aspect of your line of business from the top down ,would be admirable yet likely unattainable. Expecting others to achieve this is impractical and unrealistic.

You should thank God that airline pilots and surgeons are held to a higher standard at their jobs.

Cable company CSRs don't have to know that much, but most of them fall well short of that low standard.

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
I would expect them to have tools describing the OP's question and how to fix it - this is elementry "how to use a cable box" stuff. Certainly Dish's CSRs can guide you through at least basic TS (nothing too involved, but enough to know if a tech visit is necessary).

·
Registered
349 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimboG /forum/post/0

You should thank God that airline pilots and surgeons are held to a higher standard at their jobs.

Cable company CSRs don't have to know that much, but most of them fall well short of that low standard.

Yes and EVERY airline pilot could fix the plane if it had mechanical troubles right. Not to mention the ones caught drinking on the job. Higher standards I accept that. Always living up to them is not always the case. You have pilots that can land on water and some that cant land on a lit up runway. But you don't see me blaming the whole airline industry for a few incompetent souls. And lets not forget the rise of malpractice lawsuits against surgeons. Have a buddy that almost died from lyme disease , took the docs and multiple docs at that ,six months to find it...when they finally tested for it. Damn medical world. But thank god for high standards' part in creating a perfect society.

Your over generalized statements about the cable industry are an insult to the people that strive to make peoples lives with technology easier. There are many of us out here.

And you would really be surprised at how much a CSR has to know.Judging by your other posts you obviously speak from your hatred of cable companies and not from actual firsthand knowledge. I have sat in on many calls and worked right beside some CSR's and I know it's not rocket science but to simply say they don't need to know THAT much and that MOST of them fall short of the low standards set is a broad and ridiculous statement.

·
Registered
349 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooper /forum/post/0

I would expect them to have tools describing the OP's question and how to fix it - this is elementry "how to use a cable box" stuff. Certainly Dish's CSRs can guide you through at least basic TS (nothing too involved, but enough to know if a tech visit is necessary).

Once again another overgeneralized statement insulating that dish's CSR's have never rolled a tech needlessly. That all of dish's CSR's have never made a simple mistake. Do you understand the inaccuracy of a statement like that?

I have lurked on this forum for many years using it for its wealth of knowledge from the many well informed, unbiased, and extremely knowledgeable members. I see now that not all it's members are that way. Should I condemn avsforum for this or blame it on a few members?

Maybe recommend another forum to people looking for help ,where people are more knowledgable and nobody is unbiased. After all, that other forum never gives out false information or misleads people due to generalizing their experiences or opinions about something. Sense my sarcasm and listen to how I ridiculous it sounds that the "other side" is perfect , it's exactly how your statements come across.

I'm here to help who I can help and learn from who I can learn from. If I see statements I find to be uniformed and demeaning to something I take pride in I will call you out on it as it does nothing for this forum as a whole when there is so much USEFUL information to be found. here . An opinion is fine but an opinion not based on fact and presented like a fact is a lie no matter how you look at it.

Is cable perfect , no , but neither is dish, avsforum, the other forum, you or me. That's life next time if you don't get your answer from a CSR , come here and hope you don't get someone spouting misinformation as if it were gospel.

·
Registered
5,019 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weags /forum/post/19611795

Once again another overgeneralized statement insulating that dish's CSR's have never rolled a tech needlessly. That all of dish's CSR's have never made a simple mistake. Do you understand the inaccuracy of a statement like that?

I have lurked on this forum for many years using it for its wealth of knowledge from the many well informed, unbiased, and extremely knowledgeable members. I see now that not all it's members are that way. Should I condemn avsforum for this or blame it on a few members?

Maybe recommend another forum to people looking for help ,where people are more knowledgable and nobody is unbiased. After all, that other forum never gives out false information or misleads people due to generalizing their experiences or opinions about something. Sense my sarcasm and listen to how I ridiculous it sounds that the "other side" is perfect , it's exactly how your statements come across.

I'm here to help who I can help and learn from who I can learn from. If I see statements I find to be uniformed and demeaning to something I take pride in I will call you out on it as it does nothing for this forum as a whole when there is so much USEFUL information to be found. here . An opinion is fine but an opinion not based on fact and presented like a fact is a lie no matter how you look at it.

Is cable perfect , no , but neither is dish, avsforum, the other forum, you or me. That's life next time if you don't get your answer from a CSR , come here and hope you don't get someone spouting misinformation as if it were gospel.

Did I Say Dish was perfect ? - Nope, nothing about that in there.

Just an illustration of what the standard SHOULD be . Don't read more into what you read around here than is there or you will be sadly disappointed and misinformed, at best.

·
Registered
349 Posts

Quote:

Quote:

Did I Say Dish was perfect ? - Nope, nothing about that in there.

Just an illustration of what the standard SHOULD be . Don't read more into what you read around here than is there or you will be sadly disappointed and misinformed, at best.

Did you say dish was perfect, no but you seemed CERTAIN that dish's CSRs CAN guide you through basic elementary TS. And they would CERTAINLY know whether a tech visit is necessary or not. I didn't know being CERTAIN of somebody's ability to do something meant that they may or may not be able to do it or not.

I guess the next time my doctor tells me he's certain of something I'll just disregard it knowing that he may or may not be 100% committed to what he is telling me.

I could see reading more into what is here if it was Shakespeare but what I see here is pretty straightforward, and I'm certain that most people who would read your post would interpret it the same way I did. I'll chalk it up to poor wording on your part , at best.

No hard feelings. Thanks for clearing that up.

·
Registered
22,641 Posts
IMHO, a CSR should "know" more than the consumer when questions/problems crop up. Especially when it pertains to setup of the equipment they provide. I'd suspect that the majority of questions/problems could be addressed with a phone call to a knowledgable (properly trained) technician. Unnecessary "Truck rolls" wastes everyone's time and money.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.