AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a boston ck4 speaker and it just stoped working last night in the middle of using it.its not making any noise at all and i took it apart to see if the woofer was blown out and its not.there is alittle plate that has three fuse like peices on it and im wondering if one or all of these have gone bad? can you replace these?

·
Registered
467 Posts
Not familiar with the CK4 but first try switching speakers with another channel to make sure it's not the amp or receiver. If it is the speaker, and if the fuse like pieces are deninitely fuses (likely glass tube with metal ends and a thin metal wire running through the middle, which will have melted if a fuse blew, but this can be hard to see if it melted near an end), then you could try taking fuses from another speaker as a test. They should be cheap to buy at Radio Shack or a hardware/electrical store. Connecting the two ends is a test that can be done, but if you short against the wrong part of the circuit you could destroy your amplifier.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
im pretty sure there not fuses,one is a yellow tube about 1 inch long with the words catalina,below that is 15uf50v,below that is np85 degrees c. then there is a clear looking on that is coverd in a black rubber about an inch and a half and there is a white one about an inch and a half with 10w4.5(upside down horseshoe)j.they all have a thin wire coming out of each side that goes straight down into the plate and is sodered oh yeah the modle is a cr4 thanks

·
Registered
1,651 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig2425 /forum/post/0

im pretty sure there not fuses,one is a yellow tube about 1 inch long with the words catalina,below that is 15uf50v,below that is np85 degrees c.

That is a capacitor. I think you destroyed your crossover. Since Radio Shack doesn't have $#!+, I would search Digikey, Mouser, and other online electronics parts distributers for the part numbers of every component of the crossover.

·
Registered
4,662 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig2425 /forum/post/0

im pretty sure there not fuses,one is a yellow tube about 1 inch long with the words catalina,below that is 15uf50v,below that is np85 degrees c. then there is a clear looking on that is coverd in a black rubber about an inch and a half and there is a white one about an inch and a half with 10w4.5(upside down horseshoe)j.they all have a thin wire coming out of each side that goes straight down into the plate and is sodered oh yeah the modle is a cr4 thanks

Yellow tube= Catalina - 15 microfarad capacitor, [email protected] volts. 85 degrees Celsius limit-.

10w4.5 looks like a resistor, rated at 10w- 4.5 ohms, but I could be wrong because of the strange config.

CR could be a CERAMIC resistor, which is usually a Power resistor, hence the 10Watt rating.

http://www.uoguelph.ca/~antoon/gadgets/caps/caps.html

Wire coming out of each side means they are an axial lead type .

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.