AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a picture of my front speaker setup. Any obvious changes you would try? Does this look like good placement? Main speakers are about 11' away from each other. Seating position is about 15' away. Room is 14' by 22' with 15' high ceilings. Has 4 windows. 2 to the right and 2 behind. My wife is currently picking out curtains for these so that should help with room acoustics.

Only complaint is that I really need to crank it up to hear dialog in some movies.

Chris

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
Is that a large open space to the left?

Have you used an SPL meter to set your channel levels? (could be the source of your centre channel frustration--though the tall shelf units on either side of your TV might be interfering with your centre channel as well)

Do you have to keep your front mains so recessed or can you pull them out a little?

Other than dialogue, are you generally satisfied with your sound?

Can you put some other acoustic treatments apart from from curtains in your room?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes that is a big open space to the left. That is my kitchen area. Is that a problem you think?

I've used an SPL meter and calibrated all speaker levels from the seating position. I tried bumping up the center a db or two but it really didn't help plus I didn't think this was the best solution as I would screw up the calibration.

I can move the mains out a bit but my wife wouldn't be happy if I moved them out in front, plus it would sort of look silly.

I was thinking of moving the bookshelves to the walls and putting the mains beside the TV instead but wasn't sure if this would help.

I'm begining to wonder if the bookshelves on either side of the center is causing my problem like you said.. Problem is I have no other place to put it, unless I had some stand to put the big screen on.

I'm not sure how to describe it, but to me the sound just seems distant. Like it coming from too far away. Not sure how else one would describe this?

·
Registered
30,383 Posts
Which way do your surrounds speakers point? Are they mounted on the side walls and pointing towards the listeners? Or are they mounted on the back walls and pointing to the front wall?

Also, where do you have your bass management set for your speakers? 80Hz? 100Hz?

Finally, try angling the centre speaker down so it's pointing at the sweet spot. That may help with hearing the dialogue better.

Sanjay

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's a 5.1 setup, and the rears are actually in the corners point to the seating position.

So this would mean essentially all 4 speakers in all 4 corners

Crossover for all speakers on AVR is set to 80hz. Sub is set to around 80hz as well.

I have the center pointed down to ear level.

Thanks again for your help, I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
30,383 Posts
Well, placement and settings seem fine to me.

The only other suggestion I can make is to use some sort of absorber behind the front three speakers, or at the very least behind the centre speaker. This should absorb some of the stray sound that is refecting off the front wall and competing with the sound from the centre speaker.

For example: sound from the surrounds speakers may be refecting off the front wall and the screen of your RPTV. As an experiment, try unplugging the surrounds temporarily and see of dialogue articulation improves. Just trying to narrow down to cause of the problem.

Sanjay

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleuci
Here is a picture of my front speaker setup. Any obvious changes you would try?
Some left and right toe-in will probably help but not with dialog from the center channel.

Sit much closer, get rid of the bookshelves, move the left and right speakers forwards (front baffles 3-4' out from the wall would be good), move the left and right speakers closer together to form an equilateral triangle with your new seating position (getting the right one 2-3' out from the side wall would be good), and put the center channel on a short stand in front of the TV the same distance from you as the left and right speakers.

Or sit closer, scrap your free standing speakers, build a wall even with the doorway leading into your kitchen with a hole for your TV that provides a flush installation, and install reasonable quality (have stiff MDF enclosures) L/C/R speakers with the left and right closer to the TV than your current setup.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.