AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I would start a thread with some pictures of my star ceiling build for any one interested.

Specs:

8' Octagon

850 Milky Way Stars @ .5mm

183 Normal Stars @ .75mm

119 Constialtion Stars @ 1mm

Materials:

The Fiber Optics Store

3500 feet .5 mm Fiber

1200 feet .75 mm Fiber

800 feet 1mm Fiber

Fiber Optics Products

2 Cool Sky Illuminators

SY Fabrics

Black Velveteen

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Black Vetveteen glued to the surface after all the holes were drilled. Widest material I could find was 60" so I did have to make one seem. It is really hard to get a perfect seem, you can't see it in the pictures but it is their, with the lights down low you will never see it. I may have to do some blending after I get it up on the ceiling and see what it looks like. You can kina see all the dots on the back where the star holes are. As I drilled the holes mark the 3 different sizes with a different color marker so you know what goes where.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here is the start of running to fiber, I have about 75% of the .5mm fiber done at this point. It is a really BORING and SLOW job, but some one has to do it.

Here it is with all the of the fiber ran. What a pain.

I also added a couple of layers of 1/2" sound board to the back just to try and add some sound dampening to it. Don't know if it does any good but it cant hurt

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Add here it is completed and mounted to the ceiling, and that was a fun task also.

The first picture is standing against the wall. The secound picture is mounted to the ceiling but it has plastic over it to protect it until the theater is done, so the picture is not so great. The one thing that I notice is that their seems to be a blue tint to the lights and I don't know why that is, it look more blue in the pictures then real life. But it does look great and the family loves it. I haven't played around with with the LED settings yet for twinkle, probably wont until the theater is complete.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejayht /forum/post/18072010

Looks like you are off to a great start. Where did you get the star map?

I got must of it off the internet some where and they I added some of my own constilations and extra stars in, so it isn't a "true" map I guess. I have a 24" printer that prints off rolled paper so I can print 24"x96" sheets.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
Nice job documenting your build. Running the fibers is mind numbing. Your results will be well worth it. It's going to look awesome.

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
Great job of documenting what you are doing. Looking forward to seeing this up. I love threads like these for ideas or motivation on improving your own ht.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I hope to MAYBE have the .5mm fiber all run tonight and do the .75 & 1mm this week end. May get it put up into place this week end if all goes right. Won't have the illuminators until next week though. Also going to wrap it in plastic when I put it up until the rest of the build is done, so it might ba awhile before I get a complete picture of it. But I will eventually.

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
Can I make something like as a "window" instead of ceiling?

i.e. imaging I had one or two of these on the sides of my room - it would look like you're looking outside into space.

Thoughts?

-ELmO

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
thanks mopar love ya friend

now get rid of that 57" tv

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
how much does it cost todo what youre doing there?

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmalloc /forum/post/18085284

how much does it cost todo what youre doing there?

I will have about $800 in it when done. You could save $100 by using 1 illuminator instead of 2 like I am doing.

Sould have all the fiber done tonight, all of the .5 and .75 is done and most of the 1mm is done. Then I have to start triming them all off.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
How do you plan on hanging this from the ceiling?

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Those pics explained it all, very nice.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar_Mudder /forum/post/18141705

I updated post #3 and #4 with current pictures. I am glad to say that it is DONE!!!!!

Wow great job! If you have time and don't mind could you e-mail me what and where you purchased what you needed to complete this project?

I got a quote for something similar (albeit larger) to what you have done and it was quite a bit more expensive

Thanks,

Larry

1 - 20 of 68 Posts