Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

i have completed my picture analysis on TPM. As usual, its rather on the thorough side. Click on the HT page in my signature, then 'DVD Video Analysis', then the newest review 'SW:TPM'.

Sorry that the audio analysis is not yet up as promised. Video had to be done first, although the soundtrack seems to be the most talked about issue here.

Graphs are ready, conclusions are draws, but comments aren't written yet. Shouldn't be too difficult though, the result is rather straight forward. ;)

Have fun

Bjoern

·
Registered
311 Posts
Thanks for the details. I knew I wasn't seeing things when I thought the picture looked [email protected]!

Wonder if Lucas folks are going to comment on this ever? Certainly as the DVD continues initial sell-through, this issue will make its way up the chain, dont you think?

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Thanks Bjoern! As usual, that is great. Thanks for taking the time.

Chad

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Thanks for the review, Bjoern. The comparison photos are very convincing. The comparison of the film transfer to the trailer transfer is itself scandalous. I particularly admired the logic you applied in your conclusions. There really is no excuse for this kind of transfer, especially in 2001. I hope the Indiana Jones trilogy doesn't suffer this fate (let's pray it's not done by Lucasfilm or THX certified).

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Bjoern,

I think the reason the transfer looks somewhat soft at times compared to the more "video" look that otherwise plagues the image is because of all that hellish amount of EE...of the sort you so adroitly point out. Sans any EE the flick would stand a chance to look more film-like, always a most desirable asset when it comes to video transferring, imho. The DVD is not in any way close to being of "reference" quality.

This points to the future...and it doesn't bode well for the original Star Wars trilogy and newer films, unless Fox and Lucas take a good look at the visual mess we now have on our hands with the SW:TPM DVD and plan to regroup and do things in a more accurate way. :rolleyes:

I am looking forward with great eager anticipation to your soundtrack analysis. Keep up the good work. Cheers! :)

-THTS

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
Displeasing indeed. This vertical EE really makes the images look weird. But combined with the horizi EE, It's really like if someone used to draw a transparent line all around things. Beurk!

And so true conclusion about EE not being an mpeg artefact: i read so many wrong arguments as if was mpeg induced.

It makes one wonder on what set up did Lucasfilm and FOX check the pre-production dvd of TPM....

Now, argh! , the sound.....!! :D . could you tease us more by posting a comparative chart of one scene, while we wait for the big complete stuff ? :)

cheers

David

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Bjoern,

Your review was superb as usuall.

Have you thought about sending your review to some heavyweights in the movie business.

How about Luca$ for a start?

It might wake hime up from his coma.

Eric

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
THX was originally stood for "Tom Holman's Xperiment". It was a great thing by a dedicated group to push the envelope (and another Lucas THX reference.)

Then it was a system to try to bring theaters up to a minimum set of standards. Of course, the very best theaters already met most of these standards.

Then it became a "branding item" for AV components. In a lot of ways, top end equipment would have to reduce their standards to be "THX Certified". So "THX Ultra" was invented to define what THX should have meant in the first place.

Eventually it was a set of minimum standards for media performance. So minimal that a VHS tape was "certified".

Currently it's devolved into a "revenue stream", and is meaningful only to accountants.

Now, if Tom Holman were to start a program of certifying DVD quality, I'd buy those. As it is now, "THX" is meaningless and Mr. Holman should really ask Mr. Lucas for his initials back.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Great work.

I wish someone would ask Lucas point blank if this is how he wanted the world to see his work. If it is then I can't believe it. Maybe someone should show him your page, if those comparisons don't prove EE is bad I'm not sure what will. Maybe everyone is just too afraid to say anything about it.

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
Thanks for the great screenshots Bjoern. When I viewed the DVD on my 36" set I saw some of the EE, which meant is was hot and heavy. I was waiting for your thorough analysis to back up my eyes. I'm very intrested in your sound analysis. I hope you have the LD to compare. Best wishes!

·
Registered
7,007 Posts
Quote:
I wish someone would ask Lucas point blank if this is how he wanted the world to see his work. If it is then I can't believe it. Maybe someone should show him your page
Given Lucas' arrogance ("how dare you question what I do with my films"), I don't think it would do much good.

This certainly lays to rest the myth that Lucas was going to show everybody a new reference standard for DVD once he finally got around to it.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I just cried when I saw the film last night (front projector - 8 ft wide screen). I'm not going to say much as Bjoern Roy has said it all .... thanks Mr. Roy ... I very much appreciate your work and efforts.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Maybe if the media get involved... Headline "Videophiles Complain About Terrible TPM DVD Transfer; title still sells through the roof"

some places to start for those who can better present a case:

Mr. Glenn Abel

Hollywood Reporter

Executive Editor

5055 Wilshire Blvd.

Los Angeles CA 90036-4396
[email protected]

Mr. Marc Graser

Variety

Technology Editor -- Home Video

Cahners Business Information

5700 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 120

Los Angeles CA 90036-3644
[email protected]

Chris Petrikin

Variety

News Edtr

5700 Wilshire Blvd, Ste 120

Los Angeles CA 90036-3659
[email protected]

·
Registered
279 Posts
A little off the subject but sorry Chis I just have to clarify a few things in your statement

Quote:

"THX was originally stood for "Tom Holman's Xperiment". It was a great thing by a dedicated group to push the envelope (and another Lucas THX reference.) "

Actually Lucas never, I mean, Never confirmed what THX stood for. "Tomlinson Holman Xperiment" was actually coined by the press, others just simply assumed that he just took the initials of his very first film "THX 1138". When asked Lucas would not confirm either.

Quote:

"Then it became a "branding item" for AV components. In a lot of ways, top end equipment would have to reduce their standards to be "THX Certified". So "THX Ultra" was invented to define what THX should have meant in the first place. "

THX certification is a minimum standard, so high end stuff doesn't have to be dumbed down. The certification also has other things like "cinema re-eq" and "timber matching" etc. so you can more accurately match the CINEMA experience. Also THX Ultra is the original THX standard and was renamed with the Ultra tag when THX Select was added for people with smaller volume rooms that require less demanding standards.

I'm not defending Lucas, I just want to keep things straight

Just my $0.02

·
Registered
8,359 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong.

My reading of your site indicates that you use a Radeon HTPC (software unknown) with a Nec XG110LC projector and then take a screen grab of the final image with your Canon D30 (compression settings unknown). Using Photoshop, you then resample the image to a smaller size and recompress it to the final web image in JPEG format (compression level etc. unknown).

The equipment seems great (esp. the Canon D30), but how much EE or EE-like effects, grain, and image softening can be introduced by your setup that isn't there in the original?

Why not just take a screen grab directly off your HTPC? It should give a more accurate representation of amount of EE and image softness for your comparisons. Plus, the image size would be quite OK for web display (720x480).

I don't doubt your conclusions, but I do have some minor issues with the methodology, if only because it seems too complex.

Also re: THX.

I have full confidence that THX certification in itself means little. However, it does mean to me that if THX Select or Ultra certified, the equipment is not a total piece of crap, but it does not guarantee top of the line performance. (The amount of EE present on the Phantom Menace disc is a good example of this.) I have a Select certified receiver, but I would have much preferred a higher end (and unfortunately much more expensive) non-certified receiver. The one thing that I do appreciate though is having Cinema Re-EQ, which is missing on many non-certified receivers.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
When I watched this on my 47" Panasonic HDTV last week, I waited to see if my girlfriend noticed the edge enhancement. She is not a videofile, but she has begun to notice the EE on my large 16x9 screen (I disabled SVM completely on the set).

10 minutes in she says "There are halos everywhere. Is that edge enhancement? It's driving me nuts."

Your review proves we are not crazy. This EE thing is like the incorrect aspect ratio of the laserdisc era, when studios would crop 2.35:1 films to 2.10:1, just for the hell of it, and refuse to admit it. It's a practice that needs to stop. DVD is so sharp and so vibrant that there is simply no reason whatsoever to have any edge enhancement at all.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Bugs,

Go back to Bjoern's Star Wars Review and scroll to the bottom and read Screenshots 101. He explains that indeed these images are captured on a high-end computer monitor (capable of 1920x1080), and using a DVD-ROM drive.

His seperate screenshots page is where he has the screenshots from his NEC XG projector.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.