AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My cheap, four year old Athena 12" sub finally died. Paid $260 for it new and, for the money, it moved a good amount of air but did not put out the tightest of sound either.

This is going in a dedicated theater that is 13' x 24' x 9'. See my sig for pics

99.9% movies

Size and finish is no issue

powered by a Denon 2809

Looking to stay as much under $1000 landed as possible

I saw the MFW15's for $630 landed. I like this price and the specs look good? But am a little concerned with reliability? Is there something better than this?

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
The MFW-15 is a great sub when its working properly. If you order a MFW, it will come with the new amps. You can also look into the Epik Sentinel, HSU VFT3 MK3, eD A5-350(quite large in size), and SVS PB-12NDS to name a few. There are alot of quality subs with your budget.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hksvr4 /forum/post/16936001

The MFW-15 is a great sub when its working properly. If you order a MFW, it will come with the new amps. You can also look into the Epik Sentinel, HSU VFT3 MK3, eD A5-350(quite large in size), and SVS PB-12NDS to name a few. There are alot of quality subs with your budget.

Thanks for the tip. These look very good. Looking at the ED Designs units I am confused on the A5-350 and the A7s-450. The A7s is 1300 watt 18" sealed unit compared to the 15" 500 watt A5-350 ported unit. But they are both almost the same price. Seems odd?

http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_...roducts_id=640

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
i'll recommend the Epik Sentinel. it'll be right at $900 shipped, and is impressive for such a small package. very musical and clean sounding, but can be a beast when called upon.

if you are liking the idea of a big sealed sub, then the Epik Dragon should be very close to the A7s-450. it's an 18" sealed sub with a 600 watt amp.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow /forum/post/16936707

Thanks for the tip. These look very good. Looking at the ED Designs units I am confused on the A5-350 and the A7s-450. The A7s is 1300 watt 18" sealed unit compared to the 15" 500 watt A5-350 ported unit. But they are both almost the same price. Seems odd?

http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_...roducts_id=640

18" compared to 15" driver. The cabinet is bigger on the 15" Uses more material than the sealed 18" The 18" has a more powerful amp. That's why the price is about the same. I have the Epik Dragon and it works great. It came out to $1100 shipped to my door. It goes alittle lower than the eD's 18" sealed A7-450.

·
Registered
642 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hksvr4 /forum/post/16937033

18" compared to 15" driver. The cabinet is bigger on the 15" Uses more material than the sealed 18" The 18" has a more powerful amp. That's why the price is about the same. I have the Epik Dragon and it works great. It came out to $1100 shipped to my door. It goes alittle lower than the eD's 18" sealed A7-450.

Plus it won't trip breakers when you turn it on.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am going to look closer at the Epik Dragon, Sentinel, Ed A5-350 and the MFW-15. Any of these will be an improvement over my old Athena.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hksvr4 /forum/post/16937033

Actually the A7s and A5 both have an external volume of 6.37 ft3. The A7s weighs 41 lbs more (higher shipping cost), has a more expensive woofer ($20 more), and a more expensive amp ($150 more). The pricing is definitely a bit off.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Here is my .02...I have heard the mfw and hsu 3.3 in my room. In comparison, the 3.3 went lower then the mfw with enough authority...I would give the nod to the 3.3...much better reliability and excellent customer service. SVS would be another good recomendation.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow /forum/post/16937708

I am going to look closer at the Epik Dragon, Sentinel, Ed A5-350 and the MFW-15. Any of these will be an improvement over my old Athena.

Any of those would be better then the Athena. Remember your buying directly from the builder. Your getting more for your money.

Quote:
Actually the A7s and A5 both have an external volume of 6.37 ft3. The A7s weighs 41 lbs more (higher shipping cost), has a more expensive woofer ($20 more), and a more expensive amp ($150 more). The pricing is definitely a bit off.

Seems alittle funny there.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcoop /forum/post/16939838

Here is my .02...I have heard the mfw and hsu 3.3 in my room. In comparison, the 3.3 went lower then the mfw with enough authority...I would give the nod to the 3.3...much better reliability and excellent customer service. SVS would be another good recomendation.

I agree in that i would choose the 3.3 in that comparison; however, I thought you (or someone else) said that the mfw-15 spanked the 3.3 in performance.....not in reliability

For the price, the SVS PB-NSD12 is hard to ignore. If money up to 1k is not an issue, the HSU 3.3 or Outlaw LMF-EX are options; however, I feel that these 3 speakers are almost a tie. Just look at the specs. SQ is another story, as people will have different opinions.

·
Registered
763 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepstang /forum/post/16940418

I agree in that i would choose the 3.3 in that comparison; however, I thought you (or someone else) said that the mfw-15 spanked the 3.3 in performance.....not in reliability

Wasn't me...I had the oppurtunity to listen to both in my room...my buddy had a mfw...the 3.3 spanked the mfw...well not really a spanking...the 3.3 went lower and we both thought SQ favored the 3.3...but it was still very very close...still, MFW would be a good choice for the money, but I can't bring myself to recomend that sub yet...3.3 sure does spank the mfw in reliability and customer service.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcoop /forum/post/16940692

Wasn't me...I had the oppurtunity to listen to both in my room...my buddy had a mfw...the 3.3 spanked the mfw...well not really a spanking...the 3.3 went lower and we both thought SQ favored the 3.3...but it was still very very close...still, MFW would be a good choice for the money, but I can't bring myself to recomend that sub yet...3.3 sure does spank the mfw in reliability and customer service.

It is a tough one for me. I should just spend the K and do the dragon or the 3.3 and not have any issues. Buuuuut. the MFW would still be a major upgrade over the Athena and let me add $400-500 into my "next projector fund".

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Hello,

Two weeks ago, my Paradigm Subwoofer died. I had a budget somewhat similar to yours. I ended up going with a Martin Logan Depth and could not be happier. The combination of servo control and a sealed enclosure makes for very accurate and surprisingly full bodied bass. When I first picked it up, I was shocked at how diminutive it is.

If the Martin Logan does not float your boat, the usual suspects ( eD a5-350, Hsu VTF-2 MK. 3, VTF-3 MK 2/3, Epik, etc) are all quite good. Given your HT leanings, a ported sub probably will be the way to go given your budget.

Cheers,

AD

1 - 14 of 14 Posts