AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are a ton of folks who post here looking for advise on what sub to purchase. I was one of those people. I want to tell my story so that those shopping can maybe find some value in it and those that have been on the same journey can maybe give their own opinions. I'm sure there will also be those who have never stopped the journey. Their thoughts are welcomed as well.

Up front I would just like to say that I am not trying to promote any of these products. That's not my intent at all. I am nowhere close to a professional reviewer. I know the basics such as proper sub placement, using Audyssey etc. These are not professional reviews. Just what MY ears liked. I guess my point really goes back to just how subjective this hobby is. "trust your ears". There are no truer words anywhere on this forum.

My room size is 12x17x9 which is 1836 cubic feet. It is my main living room. I was replacing an old Kenwood surround system. The Kenwood passive sub blew out so I was using a Yamaha 8" sub.

I did a TON of research on here and even more window shopping on speaker websites. I cant tell you how many different shopping carts I filled and emptied over and over. I thought for sure someone from Aperion, Axiom, or SVS was going to call and say "Would you just BUY SOMETHING already?".

I finally decided I wanted to go with Aperion. I loved the look of the speakers and it is important to me that the speakers look nice and sound good.

I called and talked to them. At the time my usage was 90% movies and 10% music. So we configured a bookshelf system that included the little Bravus 8D subwoofer per their recommendation.

I got everything set up and was VERY happy with the results, but there was a problem. For one, now that i had quality speakers, my music listening went up big time. It's now like 50/50. Also the info from researching these forums began to haunt me. I started thinking that the sub doesn't go low enough. I can get MORE sub for the money. The "what ifs" got to me.

To make a long story short, here are the subs I tried and returned:

Aperion Bravus 8D and the Bravus 10D-- both sounded great but I had no use for the extra output of the 10D in my size room. I love how they look and I love being able to tweak them from my couch. I use different settings for different activities and I could set it all up in my Harmony remote.

SVS pb10-nsd and the pc12 nsd-- home theater beasts. Shook my house but I was not a fan of their ported sound for my music.

Rythmik f12 370peq2-- great sub for music. Super clean bass.

I would have kept the Rythmik but for two things. First. I really missed the Bravus 8D. It looks great with my other Aperion speakers. It sounds fantastic. Right there with the Rythmik in my opinion. And being able to program it remotely rocks.

The second reason I found while playing test tones. I realized I didn't get much out of the really low stuff. It just shook things in my room, exciting noises from the walls that I didn't care for. Just not my cup of tea. The low frequencies that I did like, the little Bravus could play just fine.

So I now have the Bravus II 8D. Pretty much went full circle. It cost me a lot of time and a good amount of return shipping charges for me to realize that the first sub was the "right" sub for me. I also exchanged the bookshelf speakers for mini towers since I now listen to so much music.

I did learn a lot though and I am glad I went through it so that there is no more "what if".

I also learned not to concintrate so much on measurements and graphs. I get enjoyment from hearing the sounds, not measuring them on my RatShack meter. Trust your ears. Isn't that what a lot of us first hear on these forums? And yet 90% of our advise has more to do with numbers and graphs.

I'm sure some of you will think something is wrong with me for choosing the Bravus over the other subs and I'm interested in hearing your thoughts on that. Those are ALL great subs. Just not the right one for me.

Again. This is not meant to be an ad for Aperion or the Bravus subs. You could change their name out with a number of other great companies. My story goes back to "everything about this hobby is subjective" and "trust your ears". Thanks for reading my very long post. What are your thoughts? Did you have a similar journey? Are my ears just not right? Let's hear it!

·
Registered
241 Posts
This is a good story, thanks for sharing your experiences.

A lot of people seem to say "don't trust your ears - they're unreliable. Trust your measurements. You can measure things you can't hear... but you can't hear something that you can't also measure." That viewpoint makes sense to me, but I don't think there's a black-and-white right/wrong on a lot of this stuff... it gets subjective to the end user's wants/needs.

In the end, if your system looks and sounds good to you, then that's what matters - after all, for most of us this is a hobby for our enjoyment.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Thanks for sharing. I think this also shows that one should do their research make a choice and be happy with it! A recurring theme these days is some asks help me decide between these subs... and the general consensus is all of the subs are good just with slight differences. This all boils down to "you can't make a bad decision" if you did your research and narrowed your choices to a few subs.

Daniel

1 - 3 of 3 Posts