AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new Sunfire Signature sub, it can move several feet during a movie. It is run through a Lexicon MC-1. Is this normal behavior??? My system is all new to me, so I am on the learning curve. The system was set up by a very reputable firm which did set the output levels so I do not believe it is set to high.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Is the sub on carpet or timber flooring?

Hire an Exorcist, especially if your washing machine does the same :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
get a carpet square sample a tad big larger then the sub with a good solid carpeting, tack it to your flooring with tack nails or double sided tape, and place the sub on top

The friction should keep if from sliding around that much, if not maybe you could stack some weights on top??? LOL :p

·
Registered
474 Posts
My suggestion would be to install threaded cones to drain the vibration and mass load the top. Works for me. I use stainless steel cones from Soler Points.(esoler at Audiogon) I use a 30lb marble slab on top of my Velodyne for detailed bass. Robin

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
I found a remnant of neoprene conveyor belt material. Nothing moves on that stuff.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Boy they can be pesky things, a real mind of their own... kind of like my two boys hmmm.

I have hardwood floors, the spikes are a scary proposition.

Is this a normal problem with a conventional solution???

The neoprene pad makes sense, I bet there is a material that is designed to control or isolate vibrations..... any ideas on the material??

·
Premium Member
7,399 Posts
They make saucers that have little dimples the spikes can rest in. It is a standard item that many very-high fi shops will have in stock. I still think that spikes are the way to go, but the neoprene material I saw used looked like a really big mousepad - maybe a Rat Pad?

·
Registered
86 Posts
There is a rubber/plastic material that is about 1/8 inch thick in different colors that comes in sheets that is used for shelf liner and another material with perforations that is used to keep things from moving . It is tacky but does not have glue and probably wont mark up the floor. These come in rools and you could try cutting a piece so you wouldn't see the edges and place it underneath. I bought it from price club/costco but they may not carry it now. Try home depot or a kitchen/household goods store like bed bath beyond or target. It would be cheap and you wouldn't have to drill. I don't know if this would work but it might be worth a try. Its what i will be trying when I get my rockets. good luck

·
Banned
9,999 Posts
merlinn, on Tuesday I went and listened to the Sunfire MkIV. The salesperson dropping into the DVD player a sampler video DVD. I listened to just the LFE channel on the MkIV and was pleasantly surprised at the output of the MkIV, but truth be told I had to also take into consideration the small room dimension, too.

I guess what I am amazed at is the way Sunfire markets these subwoofers. I am constantly seeing in my mind's eye the advertisement with the wine glass sitting on top of a Sunfire subwoofer. Rest assured this can be a misleading advertisement as I took it to mean the case didn't offer sufficient vibration to have a negative WAF, but still delivered enough bass to be an enticing product.

Well, on the MkIV there was no way I was going to a wine glass let alone anything else. The MkIV was capable of launching all kinds of stuff into the air (dual-purpose product?). Still, I would not be surprised if your Sunfire continues to move around even with the neoprene solution.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I had the same problem with a Servo-15 on woodfloors that was running around. I just add a 4" thick concrete slab under.

It's not moving anymore, and the bass is a lot "tighter" and precise. Really faster bass. Don't believe a simple tweak like this can improve the bass so much. Plus I had a tiny transfo hum (vibration) that is gone with the slab.

I've put a thin piece of carpet around, so it's WAF-proof.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Merlinn, I have suspended hardwood floors. For this, I set my coned Velodyne on a 26" slab of slate, weighted down by the marble slab as I stated before. For isolation from the floor, I placed a set(4) of iso-blocks under the slate. The sub behaves better than my Aussie and it was a damn sight easier than pouring cement! lol Robin

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.