AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there my name is Matt, been lurkin this forum for maybe a month and finally joined. Glad I did, got to see some great HT's and all of them blow me away on all the hard work you guys put into your rooms. Kinda makes me sad with what I have and makes me wanna do more and more
but for now I am happy with what I have, plus I have a few more years to go to complete things in life (only 20) Got the house about a year ago and so far I am enjoying what I am blessed with.

The room is 15x22 which you would think would be a perfect room for a dedicated room but it is not lol. Two of the walls are sliding glass doors from floor to ceiling (8ft tall ceilings)
which look out to my gorgeous backyard (and my backyard putting green
reasoning for the name of the room) but when it comes to watching a movie or TV during the day it blows. As soon as the sun goes down tho that room is pretty dark for the most part. Then I have Glass french doors from the dining room into this room, a window on the same wall as the french doors that is from my office, and then I have a door on the Screen wall in the worse spot ever which does not allow me to mount my projector screen center with the room
So for now this set up will just do fine.

As far as my equipment that I have,

Optoma HD65

100" 16:9 Screen

PS3 for gaming and movies

Xbox 360 for... collecting dust lol dont use it as much as the PS3

Yamaha RX-V663

Speakers- Pioneer towers, KLH Center, Infinity Bookshelves (Side surrounds) and Bose White Cubes (Rear surrounds) KLH Subwoofer

On to the pictures now yay!!

Here is what the room looked like prior to joining AVSforum.com lol

TV wall

Sold the TV and got rid of the A/V tower. Didn't feel the need to keep the Tv since I have a 37" lcd in the living room and don't want a tv in my bedroom of that monsterous size atleast.

More Recent picture looking back into the room

My Side surrounds on the stands I made

Screen wall

Screen wall and projector in the mix

Thats all for now, I plan on painting the room a darker color but still deciding on what color to paint it because even tho that is where my home theater is, I still like to go in there during the day and look out my windows and I'd rather have it a lighter color in there than a darker color and have a lighter color on the ceilings too instead of a black or a darker color but we'll see with what I can come up with. Doesn't really bother me with the lighter color walls unless it is an extremely bright scene and the PQ is good enough to me with how the walls are now. Blackout Shades will happen soon enough too for the damn big sliding glass doors lol. But I dont do much watching during the day anyways since Im either at school for the better part of the day or at work for the other better part of the day so the room gets the most use during the weekends. Also have that lcd i can use so not a big problem for me. Blah Blah Blah If you have made it this far I congratulate you!

Thanks for looking!

·
Registered
820 Posts
Matt,

Wow, nice house for being only 20 years old! Your back yard looks very nice. I don't believe I have ever seen a home theater in a sun room, I like it! Could use a few plants, but maybe you aren't into that sort of thing, and hey, you have plenty to look at outside.
It looks like you have a great start there. I am sure there are lots of options to deal with some of the issues inherent in the room, but the dimensions certainly lend themselves very nicely to a great setup. It's almost the same as our room, which is about 14' x 21'. Cellular shades on the windows would probably help out the room acoustics when closed, plus also would give you a better picture on the TV in the daytime. They're a tad pricey though.

Thanks for posting!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Thanks Aaron. That backyard was my pride and joy this summer was out there enjoying it bout every night and then cleaning it up on the weekends was a drag but worth it!

·
Registered
820 Posts
Matt,

We understand well all the work and time that can go into maintaining and improving such a large and nice yard! You have a lot to be proud of there for sure, the house and yard look great. I don't think I have ever seen a house with a putting green installed, and by the looks of it, you'll be able to use it at night, too.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Great setup! Your house looks awesome. Hopefully one day I will have a room I can dedicate to home theater like your sunroom. Oh, don't sweat the speakers. It took me a long time to finally get one's that I am happy with. I think a big part of this hobby is sacrifce.

Cheers.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Vico38, speakers are next on the list to upgrade. I havent gotten the receiver yet hopefully monday
so we'll see how quick I need or should say want to upgrade the speakers.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The Yamaha RX V663 came today!! Everything is up and running
Glad I got everything set up before the receiver came otherwise I would have slacked with everything and would of rushed putting everything together. Cable management could be better but its not bad. I am very happy on how much better it is to watch movies now. Really need to upgrade speakers
but have to put a hold on things for now. I'll get pictures up probably tomorrow, break is over and back to school tomorrow ughhh

Cheers

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Finally got the wiremold stuff from lowes the other day.

Also thinking if I really did a good job on speaker placement now that I know how it sounds Im thinking I might get floor stands for the side surrounds and place them on the sides of the couch and then mount the rear surrounds on the back wall behind the couch, same height as they are now but just back about 7 ft and directly behind the couch but for now Im happy with it atleast for a day or two

·
Registered
820 Posts
Looking good, Matt! So in that first new picture, the speakers high up on your wall towards the front are your surround channels, and the ones farther back are your surround back, correct? Am I seeing right that they are actually forward of your seating? If so, I think your final suggestion for speaker placement would be a huge improvement. In fact, it would then be the exact setup I am using (minus a bit wider separation of your front L/R - can see why that would quite work in your setup). Surround back definitely belong behind you.

I look forward to your newer pictures. Cheers!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Got everything switched this weekend and WOW!! What a difference! I dont know what I was thinking with the orginal placement of the speakers with the side surrounds about 4 ft in front of the seating area and the surround rears just about a foot behind the seats but now I got it all adjusted to where I like them, and love the way on how much better it sounds! now I just have to purchase stands and more speaker wire and wiremold to get everything cleaned up and maybe I will be satisfied hopefully for awhile. I got my Infinity Bookshelf speakers out of storage and got rid of the 4 KLH surrounds, just have the KLH center and sub for now till I upgrade those. And then I know everyone dislikes Bose but I got a pair this weekend for the rears...but good news is that they were FREE!! Mix matched speakers ftw! NOT! Maybe one day when and if I ever finish with school I can have matching speakers ah ha wishful thinking right. Well enough with the rambling only a few people actually post in this thread anyways with me being the only one mainly so I'll shut up till I get the rest of the stuff I need to clean it up then will post back.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,792 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattPutt /forum/post/15644363

....Maybe one day when and if I ever finish with school I can have matching speakers ah ha wishful thinking right. Well enough with the rambling only a few people actually post in this thread anyways with me being the only one mainly so I'll shut up till I get the rest of the stuff I need to clean it up then will post back.

Cheers

You do want to finish school, that is important...

Yeah, the speaker placement can really make a big difference, glad it worked out for you! Hey, you just can't turn away a free speaker, LOL, not even a Bose my friend!!

And even though you don't get a lot of replies, we're all kind of watching you progress! Keep it up. I do think that room has a lot of potential and if you're like me, extremely busy during day time and only have time for movies and music in the evenings then sunlight isn't much of an issue. On the other hand, in time you can get some really nice blackout blinds or drapes and control that aspect of it too.

Good luck!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Video Master /forum/post/15645038

Can't think of any good reason to put a home theater outside in the sunlight. Tanning oil anyone?

It's not all that bad, the room is on the backside of the house and the sun only peaks in there early morning till 9am or so so it's not as bad as some of you may think it is.

So this last weekend I got everything switched around and I got everything cleaned up got the rest of the wiremold up. I decided after looking at some speaker stands online that I would look into building my own so this next weekend Im going to attempt at making some stands for the side surrounds

Here are some pics of the rears in their new place

Can barely tell the wiremold is up
goes well with the crown

Have the side surrounds on a chair a end table for now till I get around to making those stands this weekend.

Being a picture whore I'll have more this weekend after I'm done with the stands.

Cheers

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Speaker stands are all done! well for the most part still got staining and clear to do yet...

Right before I stained them, dont have any pictures of the building process

Two coats of stain on them in this pic

Stands are about 31" high

Put the third coat on tonight, want them as dark as possible might settle for three but we'll see once they're dry then I'll get the clear on middle of this next week!

Glad I decided to build the stands instead of buying some online. I feel that these are more sturdy then buying stands... well I'll keep thinking that until I come home one day and the speaker is in pieces ha ah

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Everything is done for now... Yay!!! Finally think I am happy with the room atleast with what I have for now. Till I learn more about projectors and how I can make it work in the room, Im going to put a stop on that thought for now lol.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattPutt /forum/post/15739572

Everything is done for now... Yay!!! Finally think I am happy with the room atleast with what I have for now. Till I learn more about projectors and how I can make it work in the room, Im going to put a stop on that thought for now lol.

Well that happened quick lol just sold the big tv and bought a projector tonight!
Have been looking into projectors quite a bit these last few weeks and decided to go with the Optoma HD65 so once I get everything set up Ill have more pictures.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Got most of the stuff done. Just received my new av cabinet got rid of the tower one. For now Im just projecting on a bed sheet (screen is on its way) still have to mount the projector and of course the screen but everything else is done for now. Im very pleased with everything so far can't believe how good of a picture this little optoma hd65 prduces at 100" love it!

here's a few teaser pics...

and some screen shots...

·
Registered
309 Posts
Looks pretty good. Whats the thread count on that sheet?? LMAO!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts