AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been watching the force awakens on blu Ray tonight and some of the scenes where kylo ren is using the force is hitting super low and pressurizing the room but the chuffing is so bad that my wife told me it sounds like my speaker is about to blow.

It's awful and I feel disappointed considering all the praise for svs. Going to give them a call tomorrow.

Re played the scene several times and bent down next to the port and could hear the chuffing. Wanted to make sure that's what is was versus a window or door rattle.

Anyone else have this problem with their pb1000?

·
Registered
486 Posts
I have been watching the force awakens on blu Ray tonight and some of the scenes where kylo ren is using the force is hitting super low and pressurizing the room but the chuffing is so bad that my wife told me it sounds like my speaker is about to blow.

It's awful and I feel disappointed considering all the praise for svs. Going to give them a call tomorrow.

Re played the scene several times and bent down next to the port and could hear the chuffing. Wanted to make sure that's what is was versus a window or door rattle.

Its probably from to high of a sub level and or an dynamic EQ is boosting the deep bass to much for an entry-level subwoofer that has a deep tuning. Its a very common issue.

Reactions: darthray

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Its probably from to high of a sub level and or an dynamic EQ is boosting the deep bass to much for an entry-level subwoofer that has a deep tuning. Its a very common issue.
I'm running a Denon avr 1612 and dynamic eq is on and sub trim after audyssey came back at -9.5 and I'm running it hot at -2. Sub seems to struggle at low frequencies like that. Disappointed and hoping I can find a solution. Sub gain is half way on sub itself.

·
Banned
15,491 Posts
+1. The sub is telling you that you're trying to get too much out of it. Heed its warning.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
+1. The sub is telling you that you're trying to get too much out of it. Heed its warning.
Gain is only half way and trim is still negative after bumping it up.......if that's the case, I am very disappointed.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Gain is only half way and trim is still negative after bumping it up.......if that's the case, I am very disappointed.
You have to understand that your running you're sub 12-15 db hot with dynamic EQ

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You have to understand that your running you're sub 12-15 db hot with dynamic EQ
So if the trim level on the menu after audyssey is -9.5 then you're telling me with dynamic eq engaged it's really +5?

·
Registered
486 Posts
So if the trim level on the menu after audyssey is -9.5 then you're telling me with dynamic eq engaged it's really +5?
+5 at a minimum if your listening very loud otherwise It could be as much as 20 db depending on the master volume and then how much you raised the sub trim after audyssey.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Have you tried bumping up the sub gain then re-run Audyssey? Like others have said, you're probably working the sub too hard at your current settings.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
I think it is more like 5 dB increase on average at moderate levels. You would have to have your volume at low levels to get +10 dB I would think because it goes down the louder the output (why it is called dynamic EQ.)

I am not completely sure, but I think if you were listening around -25 on your AVR, it would be adding around 5-7 dB bass (and I think to high upper range too) during typical output , but if you had a peak dynamic in a movie that naturally raise output 20 dB, DynaEQ would add little to nothing to that peak.

So, for that dynamic peak in the movie that caused chuffing, DynaEQ is probably not adding much.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Have you tried bumping up the sub gain then re-run Audyssey? Like others have said, you're probably working the sub too hard at your current settings.
His gain level is good its just to much of a post cal sub boost for that subwoofer

·
Registered
486 Posts
I think it is more like 5 dB increase on average at moderate levels. You would have to have your volume at low levels to get +10 dB I would think because it goes down the louder the output (why it is called dynamic EQ.)

I am not completely sure, but I think if you were listening around -25 on your AVR, it would be adding around 5-7 dB bass (and I think to high upper range too) during typical output , but if you had a peak dynamic in a movie that naturally raise output 20 dB, DynaEQ would add little to nothing to that peak.

So, for that dynamic peak in the movie that caused chuffing, DynaEQ is probably not adding much.
Dynamic eq is always boosting until you reach -00 on the master volume and at -20 it's closer to 8 db at 20 hertz plus 7 db from sub level boost post calibration.

·
Registered
408 Posts
His gain level is good its just to much of a post cal sub boost for that subwoofer
Ahhh...ok. I've read that if you're getting chuffing with the gain at 12:00 you can bump the gain up to around 1-2:00 and run audysey again. That way you can still get the volume you want without overworking the sub?

·
Registered
486 Posts
Ahhh...ok. I've read that if you're getting chuffing with the gain at 12:00 you can bump the gain up to around 1-2:00 and run audysey again. That way you can still get the volume you want without overworking the sub?
That would be for clipping the sub output

·
Registered
486 Posts
Hmm. Ok. I'm curious as to what his options would be then. Simply turn it down? Experiment with placement? Buy a bigger, better sub?
well first step would be to turn off dynamic eq and see if it still happens

·
Registered
486 Posts
Star wars does have some high level content at the subs tune and that's where the biggest boost happens with dynamic EQ

·
Registered
14,507 Posts
I'm running a Denon avr 1612 and dynamic eq is on and sub trim after audyssey came back at -9.5 and I'm running it hot at -2. Sub seems to struggle at low frequencies like that. Disappointed and hoping I can find a solution. Sub gain is half way on sub itself.
+7.5 dB hot with dynamic eq on and you expect a single 10" sub to not hit its limits on deep passages? Send it back and get a PB2000.

·
Registered
49 Posts
To help frame this conversation better, what's the volume of the room it's in? Is it open to other parts of the house?

Assuming you can get the chuffing to go away by changing settings, it's possible that the sub just isn't designed to handle your room size.

You mentioned experimenting with placement. No matter the sub, that's always a good idea. Use the "crawling for bass" technique with a repeating sweep playing back.

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
You are demanding way too much from a 10" sub. I'm assuming your limiter light is coming on while this is happening? If you are running the sub 7.5dB hot over Audyssey, disable dynamic EQ and try that, with everything else the same. You can even increase the sub level from -2 to 0 and see how that goes. If you room is medium size or bigger, you don't have enough sub to begin with. If you were pushing some other subs this hard, you could hear bottoming out, popping or other danger signs. SVS limiters work very well, so apparently you are really pushing the sub beyond it's limits if it's chuffing that badly. Definitely disable dynamic EQ and go from there. Sounds to me like you probably need a second PB-1000 or perhaps a trade up to a PB-2000.

1 - 20 of 136 Posts