AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
to begin, let me preface by saying that i've read through many of the previous discussions on this forum regarding DIY acoustically transparent screens. i certainly appreciate all the hard work others have done. because my screen has a lot of movement (i move it a lot), i've been looking for something that is readily available and easy to replace (for when it eventually gets marked on, torn, or what-have-you).

and so, i present my cheap and readily available solution: white ponte (just like your grandma's pants
). it's readily available at fabric stores like jo-ann's for 5.99/yd, so is easy to pick up any day of the week, and very easy to stretch onto a simple frame.

i've been using blackout cloth for some time, so the image below should act as a relatively simple comparison, since many of you have seen/tried a blackout cloth solutions (i put them side-by-side). to reduce light reflections from behind the screen, i've also loosely stretched some black ponte across the rear of the screen.

note that on my first attempt i forgot to rotate and got clear moire lines; a simple rotation eliminated it. i'm going to simply cut off the white and re-stretch another couple of yards tomorrow.

i make no claims as to it's measured effectiveness, but i will tell you that (as someone content with a nice blackout cloth solution up until now) i find the image marginally softer, but certainly enjoyable(the scene is from serenity on my Tosh HD-A2 / Optoma HD-72 combination), and on my cheap HTIB speakers i detect only the slightest high end roll-off. it sounds quite good to my ears - my wife couldn't detect a difference. i'm getting new speakers on wednesday (aperion 533VAC/532-RLs), so i'll let you know how it sounds once i actually hear it in front of decent speakers.

I'll also try and borrow a nicer camera for pictures.

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Looks like it's only $3.99 a yard, 58" tall, 67% Polyester 30% Rayon 3% Lycra.

What do you mean you rotated it? Does this limit the screen's width to 58"?

I think you're really going to like your Aperion center speaker.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I am really interested in this as well. I've never heard of that material before - does it go by another name? As well, when you rotated it, how large a screen can you get from a standard roll?

·
Registered
548 Posts
I'll be getting some Phifer 4500 soon, but will definatly try this for a temporary screen (for use with my current PJ..)

I like cheap stuff!

·
Registered
83 Posts
I bought some of this material last night and set it up for use with my Mits HC1500. I have to admit I was impressed with the display. Wasn't bad for $20 bucks worthof fabric. I didn't have ime to setup my sound system to check how transparent it was to sound but air seems to blow through it easily and it appears similar to speaker cloth so I suspect it will do. I had planned on buying Sheerweave 4500 but if my sound is ok I might just continue to use this. Thanks for the info !!!!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Well I have used the PONTE for a while now and now I am confused as to if I should spend the money on the Sheerweave like I planned. I detect very little if any effect om my sound by the PONTE fabic. I have a sheet of black PONTE behind the white PONTE used for the screen.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblack /forum/post/14646439

Well I have used the PONTE for a while now and now I am confused as to if I should spend the money on the Sheerweave like I planned. I detect very little if any effect om my sound by the PONTE fabic. I have a sheet of black PONTE behind the white PONTE used for the screen.

jblack,

Do you have the two materials together or is there some space in between them? I'm new to this and just trying to learn more about it.

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
188 Posts
Sounds interesting. Could one of you check this material to see if it functions adequately for a rear projection screen? Thanks.

GL

1 - 9 of 9 Posts