AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When not in use and when the temps outside go down to the 10`s:eek: my theater gets real cold55 or so,i use a fireplace to heat my home so i don`t use the furnace that much,

Now when i watch a movie and let some air and heat in there it can get up to 70 real quick-i let the projector warm up and everything seems fine.

is this OK for my CRT 6pg+ and calibration?

thanks-

tommy

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Well, that's not really good. You COULD get some condensation in your PJ like that, and that's bad. As far as calibration... as long as it was calibrated warm, it should always go into cal as it gets warm. I personally would feel a little uneasy with the temp changes you mention.

Marc

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Guys!

If that unit has a picture mute or standby mode where everything is on except the tubes then the pj should generate enough heat inside to rule out dreaded condensation; most pjs draw 600-700 watts though so expect an uptick in your electric bill for the insurance against problems. Or just move to Phoenix where it never drops below

40^F and the humidity is 15%!

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Guys,

now that i know it could be a problem lets think of a solution,

the problem is my cat loves to use my GOM wrapped columns for for big scratching posts:mad:

i can leave the door open but need to correct that,any ideas???

i was thinking for now put 2 sided sticky tape on the columns...i think i read somewhere about the tape not feeling to good on the cats paws??

temp right now 52 degrees......

:mad:

any ideas????

ts

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Any chance of installing an air vent?

Marc

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I wonder if i put a thermostat controlled space heater in there to maintain a 68 degree temp???last time however i used one my eclectic bill shot up 200 dollars...id think though with the room 12x18 and insulated pretty good the thermostat should kick off enough to save me some green:)

any problems with eclectic space heaters and CRT`s

thanks-

tommy

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Tinman
Any chance of installing an air vent?

Marc
Mark iv got the proper vents in there+1 return,enough to maintain 72 degrees in the summer.

the problem is,i use a vent-less fireplace in the winter that heats my whole house,the only time my furnace kicks on is at night for a few minutes,not enough to warm that room(garage)however...

tommy

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Hmmm......

Maybe you can leave the door open and wrap the cat in sticky paper instead? I have 5, so my biggest problem is the hair..

Maybe a small fan duct to blow warmer inside air into the room near the ceiling... I'd skip the space heater.

Marc

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Guys!

A twelve pound cat only generates 2 or 3 watts of surplus heat, so you would need 300 cats to keep condensation out; and a full-time carpet-cleaning guy on standby to deal with the hairballs......... :D

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
ROFLMAO!

Maybe you can just wrap the projector in cats.

Marc

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
"I'd skip the space heater"

why?

besides DE-claw or Chinese food:)it seems like my only choice,

ts

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Well, other than the radiator types, I question the safety of those units. A friend of mine recently died in her house due to a fire caused by her space heater. I do have an oil filled radiator type, and it is the safest I found, and gets along with Cats as well. Once it is hot, electricity is not bad. The trick is to set it and leave it alone.

Marc

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Well, other than the radiator types, I question the safety of those units. A friend of mine recently died in her house due to a fire caused by her space heater. I do have an oil filled radiator type, and it is the safest I found, and gets along with Cats as well. Once it is hot, electricity is not bad. The trick is to set it and leave it alone.

Marc
thanks,so other then safety they go with cats and CRT`s,i think HD has some eclectic ones that have thermostats and are fairly safe...

well if condensation is going to be a problem it`s off to HD tomorrow,

thanks-

tommy

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Quote:
ROFLMAO!

Maybe you can just wrap the projector in cats.

Marc
Although I cannot fault this solution from a technical standpoint, there could be issues with the Animal Rights crowd, and possibly from the Fur Worker's Union!!! :D

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
I assure you that no Cat was actually harmed in the above procedure, merely inconvenienced.

Marc

·
Registered
267 Posts
dump the cat, get a dog.

If not, how about a nice screen storm door for your theater -- very classy looking!

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
LOL... Oh my god! There a Cat in there?

Marc

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.