AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so some have seen on other forums. but i like this forum so ill post i started a mancave project while my car projects were on hold. the wife and i bought this house in march and had plans of making the room into a theater, and one day we just up and started. mainly because it was a catch all and we never used it..

as of now we are about 3 weeks in.

before:

(ignore the father in law. LOL)

During:

After (but not finished):

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
i had placed the outlet and HDMI port on the screen wall. because i was unsure which display route to go. on a recent trip to dwayland's place i saw he had both in his main room. which made sense because during the day it brighter and sometime you might not want to watch the big screen. so ive decided to do both as well.

my question is:

whats a good unit to go with in 32"-42" range?

theres a lot of stuff out now with some good prices, im looking to stay under 650$ shipped. mainly because i dont want to get a crazy tv just to cover it with a retractable screen. i have a Samsung 52" 750 upstairs and love it but again that was 2600$.

should i worry about the 1080p vs 720p issue since its not my main tv?

plasma or LCD

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I would look at the appropriate display forum for opinions, or simply go shopping at Walmart and compare them. There are a lot of displays around that price point.

·
Registered
280 Posts
This probable isn't the ideal forum to get opinions on LCD TV's, but I'll give you my /somewhat/ experienced view on it. I used to sell TV's.

At that price range I would say to just go with a good 720, because if you look at the '1080P' tv's in that price range you are going to look at something sub par.

I found it amusing when I was selling to hook up a bluray player to one '1080P' TV and then unhook it and stick it in another supposedly 1080P. It was quite funny to see what some manufacturing companies were trying to pass off as high quality picture.

And for what it's worth - I would go Plasma. I don't want to start a debate as I know sometimes this can come down to preference, but from my experience the flesh tones and colors are more true to life... (in general)...again that's going to depend on the quality of the set.

The only time I recommended LCD was to people putting them in living rooms (glare). But then...at least one company (Panasonic) has solved the glare on Plasma issues...they have an antiglare screen on their better plasma screens.

Hope that helps...but again I'd suggest asking it in another forum.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.