AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the newest Toshiba 34" widescreen direct view CRT does have 3:2 pulldown detection, but I had assumed the older Toshiba 34" widescreen (CW34XC2/CW34X92) did not have this feature.

I recently was told by Toshiba that 3:2 pulldown is in fact incorporated into this set. Note that I have never seen this TV comb on an interlaced source so either the 3:2 pulldown isn't there or else it's an excellent chip in the TV. However, I had suspected it wasn't there since with an interlaced source (RP91 with progressive off) I sometimes see more aliasing (like with curved edges in Toy Story 2) than in progressive mode, although I must admit I am not sure how much of this is caused by the RP91 itself. Also, no direct mention of this feature is listed for this TV on their website, but it is quite prominently mentioned for their newer TVs. (Not that I would use the TV's 3:2 pulldown for DVD anyway though, since overall the progressive picture from the RP91 is much crisper and vibrant, even if the RP91 does comb every once in a while on poorly-flagged discs.)

Also, they said the TV is calibrated for "regular TV viewing" and not ISF standards. If I want ISF colours, then I'd have pay for ISF calibration. I suppose that's reasonable, but I would have preferred to have ISF standards right from the get go. Perhaps as component DVD and the colour issues become more common, maybe more companies will adhere more closely to ISF standards for their top-of-the-line TVs, or at least include an approximate ISF setting in their setup menus.

·
Registered
8,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
By the way, who best for ISF calibration of direct view TVs in Toronto? I have a list of the service menu settings, but I don't know what most of these mean.

I've been told if you don't know then don't fiddle. I think that's pretty good advice.

·
Registered
8,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
UP

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.