AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been reading this site for several months now and recently have been reading several hours per day. I had a lot of help from some of you on my initial design. Now it's time to sit down with the architect and get a final design before we break ground on our new home 9/12/11.

I'd love to get your feedback on all aspects of my design. The only thing that is at this point set in stone is the location of the AT screen.

I took photos today of a house being built with exactly the same room except that my closet and hall door have been pulled in 2' to create the false wall for my AT screen. I'll post them first and then my plans for your feedback.

(Possibly) important details: 8' ceilings, room is on 2nd floor directly above great room, triple window on back wall measures 9'w x 5'h, there will be a stage similar to Big's that I forgot to draw in front of the AT screen, the room in the photo is flipped relative to my room.

Photo of room under construction...

Another view.

This wing has a similar roof line to my room.

Exposed rafters. Window is to the left, entrance and closet to the right.

This beam runs at a different angle in the direction of the bathroom. There is one on each side wall. I worry that they hang down and will affect my plans for a vaulted ceiling.

Another view...

And another.

The view from the back of the house. Man that window is huge!

Now for my drawings...

Ceiling with soffits and vaulted ceiling. 3 dimmers (screen, sides, overhead)

Eyes on existing couch at 10', eyes at the bar 14'. Also shows approx speakers locations and that pesky triple window.

I have ideas in mind to replace the couch with Berklines but for now this is what I'll be using.

Thank you all for your help,

Cory

Oh. And last but not least, WAF is definitely in play here.

Thanks again

·
Registered
6,908 Posts
Your room is quite similar to our theatre, right down to the large rear window. I'll think on it and send you some comments.

PS. Which direction does the window face? My impression is "west", which is not good.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. Any advice you have would be greatly appreciated.

The window will face North. I would have liked a lot that faced West (window facing East) but there were none left. This house is oriented N-S which is the next best thing in my opinion.

Thanks,

Cory

Edit: If you have any photos you could share that would be awesome! Thanks!

·
Registered
66 Posts
I'm no great expert but the layout looks good. You may find you'll want the screen to be as large as you can make it - right up to the edges of those doors then black out the doors with velvet or similar.

As the room is above other rooms are you doing extra work for sound proofing? As you're at the framing stage then I think you may want to research this and think long and hard before covering everything.

The room does appear to be square which acoustic people would tell you is about the worst thing you can have. When the room is done you will probably want to look at acoustic treatments.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll look into the size of the screen... From what I've read, the thing to do is size the screen to the room and the layout you have to work with once you get there. So buying/building the screen wall will actually be one of the last things I do.

And I like your idea about the doors. I had a similar thought which is why I chose to have the doors open inward to avoid clearance issues with hinges and door frames.

Soundproofing is a problem. I'll leave it at that.

As for acoustic treatments, I think you're right. I haven't looked at that enough yet. And now that you mention it I do remember that square rooms are particularly troublesome. I'll do more work to figure out first reflections, etc. Off the top of my head, I guess my plan would be to use panels on side and possibly back walls as well as bass traps in the rear and false wall corners.

Thanks for your feedback and advice.

Cory

·
Registered
7,780 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by manthatsnice /forum/post/20870810

Soundproofing is a problem. I'll leave it at that.

If you plan to soundproof, now is the time to figure out things like ventilation and doors in addition to the decoupled framing method.

Later it's very difficult

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by manthatsnice /forum/post/20868652

Photo of room under construction...

That's a decent enough screen size although I would have opted for a scope screen. Your projector seems like a light cannon though, man that thing is bright. Should probably adjust the contrast too!

That movie looks pretty boring by the way!

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ted, I actually talked to you when I called your company. I hope I didn't misunderstand but my takeaway from our conversation was that unless I block in (and soundproof) the large window, you would not recommend spending $ on soundproofing.

PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong while I still have time to adjust. Thank you.

LOL Scuba. That's why I ordered one one of your sweet demo discs!

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
Ah. The window behind the screen wall? Exposing that window jamb to the sound will constitute a big flanking path yes. No sense spending a bunch of cash on soundproofing with a big flanking path like that.

·
Registered
6,908 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted White /forum/post/20871450

The window behind the screen wall? Exposing that window jamb to the sound will constitute a big flanking path yes.

His window is .NOT. behind the screen ... it is at the back of the room. I have the same setup. My theatre is a room within a room on a concrete slab using gasketted, lead-lined doors, etc.

The sound transmission within the house is excellent. I can listen to Pearl Harbor at levels that make my pant legs flap while my wife can sleep upstairs or entertain in the living room without disturbance. The fact that the sound transmission through the window at the back of the room to the outside garden is not as good is irrelevant.

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
I'm not concerned about the sound entering the back yard. I'm concerned about the sound entering the exterior wall through the window jambs. A classic flanking path.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
EXACTLY Ted. That is what I remember you telling me on the phone.

Is there anything you would recommend? Low $, relatively high reward?

Thanks to all of you for your time and expertise thus far.

Cory

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
To be clear, having a large exposed window doesn't guarantee flanking. The odds are high enough, however that I recommended not worying about too much soundproofing if you can't address the window.

Is a window plug that can be removed when the house sells within the realm? I seem to remember you were going to discuss this with the wife?

·
Registered
622 Posts

Quote:
Exposing that window jamb to the sound will constitute a big flanking path yes. No sense spending a bunch of cash on soundproofing with a big flanking path like that.

Could you build a 2x4 wall in front of the window wall -- i.e., a double wall -- and avoid the flanking problem?

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
Yes you sure could!

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ted,

The wife was not too keen on the idea of blocking up the window but the real problem came when I mentioned it to my builder. This window is the only fire egress on the 2nd floor so, per code, it can not be blocked by a permanent or semi-permanent structure.

·
Registered
7,780 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by manthatsnice /forum/post/20872307

Ted,

The wife was not too keen on the idea of blocking up the window but the real problem came when I mentioned it to my builder. This window is the only fire egress on the 2nd floor so, per code, it can not be blocked by a permanent or semi-permanent structure.

Could you consider a window "plug?" A massive panel that would be hung / sealed to the wall. Removable.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
What I'm thinking now is to let my builder handle all soundproofing except the window. I could him to do all the GG, decoupling, etc on all walls and floor. I'll address the window separately on my own with a removable soundproofing plug/cover.

What do you think?

From our earlier discussion I think the best way to proceed would be to let my builder discuss techniques and plans directly with you...

·
Premium Member
2,246 Posts
Another consideration is the width of the speakers composing the front stage. They are nowhere near wide enough to compose a convincing immersive soundstage. In addition, with a window like that, no need to spend any money on bass traps!
The window will serve double duty for that purpose. But, there will be a small problem with LCR reflection.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
SMB, I was disussing this with my wife last night and at the same time we were doing the dry run on seating distance and height. She asked if I really need the false wall. The more I thought about it the more I'm leaning to placing the screen on the wall and my speakers to the sides. This will give me better spread (whatever the correct term is) and effectively lengthen the room by 2'. What do you think?

Sorry, I don't understand the comment on the bass traps vs window...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.