AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few nights ago for the first time ever, my Sony SAT-W60 didn't record the shows that I selected for recording. I had about four shows scheduled to record before I left for work, but when I got home none of them recorded.

My brother was home all evening. He had the UTV unit on and was even watching other shows on the second tuner during the time my shows were supposed to be recording.

When I looked at the "History" list, next to each show it said, "NOT RECORDED". After clicking "more info", it said, "This show was not recorded, because the unit did not have power at the time of recording."

Why did this happen?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not sure what you mean when you say, "Is the guide full?".

When I clicked on "Upcoming Recordings", all the shows were still listed as upcoming recordings even though it was past the time they came on.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I used to have this problem due to losing a tuner when we'd rotate the TV from the den to the kitchen to watch while eating. Problem was the coax connector at the wall wasn't crimped well and the cable would pull out of the wall. A new cable fixed that. Point is... if your brother was watching TV, it sounds like the other tuner was inop for some reason or the other. Have you tried using both tuners since?

One other possibility.... perhaps the shows that night were preempted, so of course they wouldn't record. It's not too uncommon for the networks to change to re-runs unannounced, and the UTV wouldn't record reruns.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the suggested possibility. Both tuners have worked since then and I've recorder 2 shows at the same time several times since then.

As far as the shows being preempted, when it did this 5 shows one evening weren't recorder. All 5 couldn't have been preempted.

The oddest thing that baffles me is that under history, the error message next to each show said, "NOT RECORDED"..."the unit did not have power at the time of scheduled recording".

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Hi,

Are you running UTV 3.7? I've heard this was a bigger problem under 3.5 ...

I was once told to solve this problem powering off via the On/Off switch on the UTV (not remote).

I'll edit this post if I find more info. on the "no power" issue.

That problem is a real pain in the butt. Haven't really noticed it under 3.7, myself.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by TVfriend12

As far as the shows being preempted, when it did this 5 shows one evening weren't recorder. All 5 couldn't have been preempted.

Probably wasn't the case in your situation but, actually, yes they could all be preempted if they were all the same network. Not too long ago NBC had some problem on Thursday night and ALL original shows were replaced with reruns. Rare, but it can happen.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I have 3 UTV's and I've probably had this happen to me 2 or 3 times in the last 2 years, although it hasn't happened recently. The problem isn't your tuners or bad guide data. It's just a software glitch that pops up occasionally, usually when your UTV has been under a heavy load. No one has come up with an exact cause for the problem, but I personally think it has something to do with the fact that UTV's never really shut down. Hitting the power button on the remote or on the unit only puts it in standby mode. It's the same as if you left your PC on for months at a time, it will probaly still work, but it will start to become unreliable. It's even worse when you start to think about all the work it takes for a UTV to buffer a TV signal. Constantly moving all that data between the CPU, ram, swapfile, HD etc has got to take its toll eventually. When it finally gets to be too much, the OS gets unstable and you start to see problems like the one you had. My own personal theory is that when the OS gets unstable, the UTV's internal clock either locks up or the UTV forgets to check it. If it doesn't know it is 9pm, it doesn't know it is supposed to be recording your show. When the clock starts up again, or the UTV decides to check it again, it finally notices that it is after 9 and that the Apprentice wasn't recorded. Since that shouldn't be possble, the UTV decides that the only way that could have happened is if the unit was unplugged at 9pm, and that's when it gives you the No Power message. Just speculation on my part, but it seems like the most logical explanation to me.

The best way to help avoid this from happening again is to power down the UTV when it isn't in use. I personally take the extra step of tuning to channel 1020 so it stops buffering live TV before I hit the power button. And as with all DTV boxes, it's probably a good idea to unplug it from the wall and let it sit for 10 minutes before plugging it back in, at least once or twice a year. Before you decide to unplug it, make sure you don't have any recordings scheduled for a few hours. You will lose all of your stored guide data and it can take a while to get it all back. Hope this helps and sorry for being so long winded:)

·
Registered
592 Posts
I agree with the gist of what LongRufus is saying. I rarely had these types of problems in my early UTV days. But since I put 2 of them on a UPS, I consitently start to experience "glitches" after a long time without a power reset. So about every 4 months or so, I'll pick a time when there is nothing to record for a few hours and i'll "cold boot" them. I try to use the power-button-3-times-real-fast method first. But sometimes I can't get it to "take" and I'll default to the unplug-and-plug-back-in-method. -TJ

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.