AVS Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Thanks for the suggestion about the phone line and the Verizon FiOS. I hooked up to my landlord's phone and it went through on the first shot! Now have gotten the software loaded and working fine.

Next problem - seems like one of my tuners is fried - only one tuner will pick up a signal no matter what I choose as a satellite choice - and on the system test tuner #2 fails.

Anything I can do for this?

Also - all channels below 80 - which are all the local channels - are not showing up - I think it might be because DirectTV has disabled something with the access card - they have already sent me a new DVR but I would rather keep the UTV until the DIrectTV TiVO units are available,

Thanks again!!

Lou

·
Registered
262 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICUDoc /forum/post/17211808

Thanks for the suggestion about the phone line and the Verizon FiOS. I hooked up to my landlord's phone and it went through on the first shot! Now have gotten the software loaded and working fine.

Quote:
Next problem - seems like one of my tuners is fried - only one tuner will pick up a signal no matter what I choose as a satellite choice - and on the system test tuner #2 fails.

Anything I can do for this?

Tuner chips CAN be replaced but it's not for the faint of heart. I did it one time and so did others but it's a VERY tiny chip with many pins. I don't recommend it. The repair place can do it. Is it CCT? I forget.

Quote:
Also - all channels below 80 - which are all the local channels - are not showing up -

How long has it been since you powered it back up? It sometimes takes a day for locals to show up for me.

kazak

·
Registered
8 Posts
I too have had success. I unlocked again with mhd3 and then used FlexHEX to image the disk. The only thing (intentionally) that I did differently this time was that I didn't zero the disk since it appears that mhd3 does that already.

Loading that small of an image went really quickly, and I visually compared the file with the image stored on the disk (looked for a couple of interesting text strings).

Powered up and...........IT WORKED!!!!! As ICUDoc pointed out, I'm not getting the local channels right now (it's been about an hour now). Hopefully they show up tomorrow, since I'm planning to use this 2-working-tuner Sony unit to replace my 1-working-tuner RCA unit on my primary TV, and most of the new shows start tomorrow night.

The only downside to this is that I've had to pull the IDE cables off my computer drives a bunch of times, and it's taken me an hour to get the computer back up. (I don't think the cables like being taken off and on.) But currently, all is well with the world.

Thank you to everyone, especially the two of you who made the 3.8 image available. All of my neighbors have crappy Verizon service, so I doubt that I could ever had downloaded 297 parts.

As far as tuners are concerned....keep us informed on who is doing this for a decent price. I supposed I'll need to do that at some point in the future (unless I move to HD). My RCA unit lost a tuner a month ago, and my other Sony has some pixelization that leads me to believe one of its tuners is going soon. I have an HD TV as my primary system, but I love the UTV so much I'm still not replacing it.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
RE: Repairs of RCA/Sony UTVs

Most recognized option is CCS for $130 (includes repair of both tuners,a 40GB drive replacement if the old one is bad, a 6 month warranty on the entire receiver, and return shipping)

Check the details here:
http://www.ccscorporation.net/terms.htm

Here is CCS's "UltTv" page which goes over some good Troubleshooting tips for common problems they've seen with UTVs coming in the door.
http://www.ccscorporation.net/PVR_U.htm

Also check the UTV FAQ on this forum (along with the Repairs thread for discussion of other options/ideas to care for your UTV) for concerns about keeping a UTV in good condition.

To "fix" or prevent tuner failure you should increase or maintain good air flow around the UTV. Keep the vents clean, elevate the bottom, make sure the internal fan is running, consider adding a fan (Internal or external). A reboot and/or cool down (several hours) may bring back an "overheated" tuner. Also make sure it isn't a bad cable run or contacts by testing each tuner with a single cable... one at a time.

As far as "local channels" not showing up... The best way to get this "fixed" is to call DirecTV or using your online DirecTV account and have them "refresh" your Access Card. The local channels should come back almost immediately. (3-5 minutes officially)

Logging in to your account then go to Support/Troubleshooting/Refresh Your Receivers

·
Registered
8 Posts
Unfortunately all is not rosy. I successfully imaged a 120gb WD drive and for almost 24 hours, I had somewhere around 105 hours of recording to do. Sadly that drive now has some issues. It was an old drive that I hadn't used for a couple of years, but now shows a SMART error (I haven't bothered to see what the error was). I'm a little concerned about this since the reason I'm playing with this UTV right now is that the original hd failed. Being optimistic, I'll consider this a coincidence.

I have a couple of used 40gb drives (one Seagate, one WD) that support security in my spare parts pile. I imaged both of them with FlexHEX. When installed in the UTV, the WD said that it needed to update, and after a few parts downloaded, it told me that there was a problem with my Internet Terminal and the only option was to power off.

The Seagate also wants to dial out. I IMAGED BOTH OF THESE EXACTLY THE WAY I DID THE 120gb WD! (This process appears to be non-deterministic.) I've tried repeating the process twice with both of these (mdh3 to unlock, FlexHEX the 3.8 image). Same results.

Right now, I've got the UTV and a TV on my back patio 3 feet from the phone junction box (short cable to minimize issues). The highest I've gotten today is 39. Inside earlier this week, I got up to 95.

Question: When it's downloading the 297 parts and fails, it gives me the option to reconnect. Let's say I get to 39. If I reconnect (the obvious option), it appears that it's trying to pick up at that point. However, it never goes beyond that part no matter how many times I click reconnect. Has anyone ever had it fail downloading part N, reconnected, and had it go beyond N, or do you always need to start from scratch?

·
Registered
1,121 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlcas /forum/post/17251916

Question: When it's downloading the 297 parts and fails, it gives me the option to reconnect. Let's say I get to 39. If I reconnect (the obvious option), it appears that it's trying to pick up at that point. However, it never goes beyond that part no matter how many times I click reconnect. Has anyone ever had it fail downloading part N, reconnected, and had it go beyond N, or do you always need to start from scratch?

I have had it happen both ways...

Consider it just like "Getright" (an early download/resume PC program that was helpful for the dialup users that wanted the BIG file but didn't want to have to start over if the connection failed say 1-2 hours in) or even the download manager built in to Firefox (which I've actually had more problems with then Getright)...

It may have to do with the availability of the file(s) or the time difference between reconnects, but I've had it happen both ways.

Have you tried/tested other Telephone Cables from the Jack to the UTV? Do you have Call Waiting enabled/disabled? The UTV might be getting some noise on the line and disconnecting early...

As for your imaging issues... I'm not the expert but I'd suspect the WD's jumpers might have been set wrong (Master/Single mode on ANY UTV Drive) to explain why the "Repair issue call Sony/RCA 1-800-XXX-XXXX" error.

As for the imaging someone who's actually done it might go over your procedure but if you made your 120GB and 40GB drives EXACTLY the same I've had the impression you needed to "adjust" the settings for the specific drive size...

·
Registered
8 Posts
The imaging process takes care of the size difference. You "select-all" and zero the entire drive. That's where the size difference comes in, and causes a much longer imaging process with the 120gb drive. After zeroing you load the 38mb (I think) image beginning at a specified sector.

I've tried various phone cords with really no difference in success. I was surprised that plugging into the the phone junction box didn't improve anything. I have turned off call waiting, but that doesn't seem to make any difference.

I think you might be right about the jumpers. With the Seagate I have, Master/Single are the same thing. For the 120gb WD, Master means the jumper is in a specific location, and Single is done with no jumper. I assumed the 40gb WD was the same (no diagram on the drive), but I'll have to search for an owners manual to see if that's correct.

I guess I'll start looking at all of my old computers to see if any of them have a drive that I can take.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
It's an old thread... but I thought since my Primary Sony Died (WITH all it's Recordings and Series/Auto Recordings)... I'd bring it back. (FYI, if you need tuner repairs please recheck the FAQ and Repair Threads as repair services from CSS are now discontinued.)

Hard Drive is not being recognized by the UTV (Verified by using UTV Code 411) and is attempting a dialout when I power up. I'm in process of installing a different UTV in it's place until I can verify if the Drive is actual garbage (and maybe still under warranty?) or if the UTV itself has decided to die...

I've been hearing some occasional "hard drive chirp"... which I've played off as possible fan noise (I've adapted a PC Option Card Blower installed above the tuners). This UTV has always been a bit "flakey" (A bit slow on response and occasional reboots)... so I may have just pushed my luck a bridge too far.

I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Hi,

Well I finally got around to giving my "dead" Sony a few moments of TLC.

Cleaned out the UTV with some compressed Air (cleaned out an oily dust mess under my PC Card Slot Blower which had collected near the tuner chips)...Reinstalled the "junk" drive (didn't attempt to "marry" another drive to the UTV thankfully...) and powered it up.

IT WORKED! So I reconnected it to the SAT. The "Chirping" returned... and the UTV locked up. Pulled the plug and attempted a reboot... got a "Green Light of Death". Disconnected SAT and rebooted it came back to life. Hoped on directv and got to the troubleshooting section. Found my Access Card... reconnected the SAT and reauthorized the card. Card was Activated... Checked a Recording. Stopped it... UTV "chirped" and locked up. Disconnected SAT again and rebooted. Works on several Recordings.

Crossing my fingers and hoping I've got enough time to dump recordings "offline".

I've always thought "Green Light of Death" was Tuner related but this chirping and lockup (with disappearing Drive) seems HD related. Guess only thing I can do is get what recordings I can off, swap Hard Drives and see what happens. Otherwise another UTV goes on the "spare parts" pile.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Well yesterday my "replacement" Sony decided to pull the same "play dead" with the hard drive and try dialing out for an update.

So it's back to putting my "dead" UTV back into Primary Service again. At the moment it seems to be behaving. The "replacement" UTV really could have used an extra internal fan... but I really liked how "quiet" it was compared to my modified version.

I guess I'll need to try some modifications for "next time".

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Currently using an RCA DWD495RG as my Primary (with 80GB) but since one of it's tuner is "weak"... it's been giving me a lot of spit/sputtered recordings which is getting annoying.

Been trying to patch up the Sonys to see if I can get some life out of them...

Dialing out for the OS upgrade has been a real pain in the butt. Local Access Numbers are Busy all the time and frequently "interrupted" (reconnects are always busy). Called MSNTV and talked to them about my issues. They tried an "access number override" to just dial a specific local number... and mentioned they could "assign" a custom "local" number to me if I wanted. (To reduce the busy signals/dropouts) I'm researching the numbers they gave me as they aren't "standard" local numbers I'm familiar with. Hoping Google is helpful in reverse lookup of were these numbers are "located".

One of the UTVs finally took it's update but has a dead tuner so that one is getting retired...

FYI, noticed that 411 not reporting a hard drive could just mean it has not OS and not that the UTV isn't recognizing it. While downloading the OS I could hear the drive spin up and "record" each part as it went along. So it might be best to listen for that vs relying on what 411 tells you.

I've always thought 411 was like the BIOS of a computer and once "booted up" would report any recognized devices. In my case the drive didn't recognize until the download was complete and installed.

Ya learn something new all the time.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts