AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question for the group...how reliable are the sony w-60 units?

Back in March I ordered two units. They arrived a few days later. One worked perfectly and one was DOA.

I contacted the seller and they put me in touch with the distributor who sent out a replacement (it took a few weeks for the replacement due to a replacement shortage).

The replacement that arrived was a refurb. When I plugged it in on my sony tv the color faded from the picture going completely black and white and back again (i posted earlier when this happened). When I moved it to my phillips tv the same thing happened.

I called the distributor and they arranged a second replacement. This time the replacement was a brand new unit.

After installing replacement number two I noticed vertical lines about an inch apart that appear while watching live or recorded tv. I called directv who told me to call utv who told me to call sony. I was not able to get this corrected and am speaking to the distributor about yet another replacement.

I cannot believe the problems I am having. The first good unit that I received has been working like a champ but no luck with these other three.

Are these units cheaply made? Usually the sony brand means something (not it this case though).

After reading some of the other posts it sounds like the units are ok. I am just having some really bad luck.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I have 2 RCAs. Both bought from CC. First has worked flawlessly since day one. Second had a bum tuner. Exchanged for a new one at CC with no prob. They opened a new box in front of my and handed me the new unit in exchange for my defective one. Replacement has worked great ever since.

My neighbor was over and only after a few minutes he was convinced he needed to buy a UTV. I pointed him to the minidishes-Sony UTV deal. He bought 2 of them and has had nothing but problems. One of the 2 was DOA. He had to send it to Sony and did not get a replacement for several weeks. Now both of his UTVs are having Audio and Video dropouts on a regular basis. His standard RCA DirecTv box works fine with no audio or video dropouts.

I know RCA and Sony UTVs are supposed to be identical but it seems that more people are complaining about the Sonys. I do not think they are identical. For starters they don't respond to the same IR codes and they have different IDE cables. This shows both hardware and software differences. RCA and Sony UTVs are not the same animal. I would pay $100 at a local retailer for another RCA before I would save a mere $50 by getting a Sony from an e-tailer.

my 2 pennies

-NJJ

·
Registered
158 Posts
tuvoc,

Sorry to hear about your troubles, but I was in a similar boat. I bought 2 of the Sonys from minidishes because of the huge rebate. Anyway, one worked great, the other died after 12 hours of use. I had to send it in to Sony to get fixed and got it back about 3 weeks later. Now I'm wondering if I should sell both of my Sonys and maybe pickup a third RCA. The included keyboard is kinda nice for searches, but it isn't designed for UTV control like the RCA keyboard.

Sean

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I see I'm not the only one out there with problems. I also purchased the units from minidishes.

Based on CSR and NJ Jackals replies it sounds like it doesn't matter where you purchase the units.

It sounds like sony is really cutting corners with these units.

With sony's amazing $200 rebate and these units costing $50 and under it looks like you get what you pay for.

I'll keep the group posted on my neverending saga.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Tuvoc, if a distributor ever tried to replace a brand new DOA anything of mine with a refurb unit, I would exploded!!! Why didn't you raise hell with those guys, it just seems to me that if you buy a new unit and it turns out DOA they should have no problem with sending out another new unit ASAP. But then again I guess you were just so happy that you finally got a replacement. Been there before. Buying from the Net, gotta love it. :D

Just my .02

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.