AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that this has absolutely nothing to do with what we all talk about here, But I need help. (Well sort of)

I am getting married June 29th and I need help with my wedding song. If any of you have any ideas. Maybe the wedding song that you and your wife danced to. Right now I am thinking about Etta James, At Last. I love the song, but I really would like a little more of a selection. :)

Thanks,

Ron

·
Registered
260 Posts
I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS but for my wedding (1975) we used Star Wars music for the wedding march - it was cool, but a little too long. However, we had a very informal wedding - everyone told me that it was "cool", but I don't remember that much - blotto after the first ten minutes, and I hadn't even recovered from the previous night...

Basically, whatever you both like - it's not really a big deal; no one is going to criticize you, it's your day so have fun!

Now it's our 25th anniversary and another SW to see... just like old times!

·
Registered
383 Posts
My wife picked: True Companion by Marc Cohn. Pretty good as far as wedding songs go, I guess...If it were up to me....I'd get alittle nostalgic and look to my old 7th and 8th grade dance favorites.

1. Zeppelin - Stairway to Heaven

2. Styx - Renegade

3. lynyrd Skynyrd - Free Bird

--Steve

·
Registered
8 Posts
I would second the Star Wars theme (we used it at the reception). But I'm curious how one played it in 1975, as it did not come out until '77.

·
Registered
758 Posts
I'll cast a vote for "At Last" (Etta James version, not Christina Aguilera version). It was the song my wife and I danced too, but we had a live band with a lead singer that could have been Etta James.

On a more humorous note, a friend of ours recently got married and had a DJ rather than a band. When they went out to do their first dance, the DJ got the discs confused and played "Love Shack" by the B-52's rather than the slower, more romantic song they had selected. I thought the bride did a pretty good job of keeping up with the tune even though she was sobbing so hard. ;)

·
Registered
260 Posts
Oops, sorry - somebody caught me! It was actually 1977 (6/25/77) that I got married. As I said, I wasn't all there, and it was a long time ago...

"Love Shack" does actually seem appropriate! Too may people seem to worry about impressing others with their "romance" - we would have been laughed at by our friends who knew better. A lot of the choice depends on the formality of the wedding/reception and who will attend - if you care about what anyone else thinks. Primarily, it should be a choice that makes you two happy!

Frankly, by that time you won't care what they play! Dis ain't "Modern Bride" here, boyo. How about "Bamboozled by Love" by Frank Zappa - really gets you moving and it's a "cautionary tale" as well... In-laws would have a fit, though!

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
We had 2 wedding songs. One for the participants, which was played first (Van Morrison - Have I told you lately), and then our wedding song (B-52s - Love Shack), which everyone had fun with.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Mine was "The Unexpected Song", an Andrew Lloyd-Weber song from the musical "Song and Dance". It has meaning to us because one of our first dates was to see that show.

I think a wedding song is personal and it should have some connection between you and your fiance.

But songs that our friends have used include:

"On the Wings of Love" by Jeffrey Osbourne

"Book of Dreams", Bruce Springsteen

"Harvest Moon", Neil Young

"It Had to be You", any number of jazz pianists

"The Power of Love", Celine Dion :confused:

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I'll cast a vote for:

My Only Love - The Statler Brothers

Let It Be Me - Jackson Browne or Colin Raye (both versions are good)

Sleepwalk - Brian Setzer Orchestra Version

The Wedding Song (There is Love) - Paul Stuckey

Just a few to consider.

David

·
Registered
813 Posts
I second "At Last" by Etta James. My wife and I used it 3 years ago for our wedding song. Buy it or pull it of the net and listen to the words. Absolutely beautiful. Etta's vocals are incredible.

P.S. I should be appalled that Christina Aguilera covered it, but I guess imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Our wedding song was Follow You, Follow Me by Genesis

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
"Never Felt this Way" on Brian McKnight's 1991 debut album.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow....Thanks guys. Many great Ideas here. Keep them coming if you like. We are considering them all. :)

Ron

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Quote:
3. lynyrd Skynyrd - Free Bird
Umm, that's a great song, but I think your bride-to-be might have reason for concern if you wanted to play it at your wedding, given its lyrics. :D

·
Registered
27,014 Posts
We used Etta James "at Last".

Classy song.

JEff

·
Premium Member
11,839 Posts
Shania Twain - From this Moment

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
Anything from Van Halens first album

·
Registered
13 Posts
I am getting married in August and have been suggesting "the bad touch" by the bloodhound gang.

My wife/gf/fiance doesnt think Im funny either.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm getting Married on April 26th. So far, the better half and I are looking at possibly Dean Martins "You're Nobody 'Til Somebody Loves You", or any of SEVERAL good "love songs" by Frank Sinatra.

Aaron

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.