AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I've got my wii hooked up with the Nintendo component cables, and it seems to be underscanning the images. This is with the Wii menu, and with all games such as Wii sports, and zelda. (Other games such as elebits are underscanning even more on the sides)

Is anyone else running into this? TV & Wii are set to 16 x 9. I've tested with the composite cable, and that is underscanning as well

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,447 Posts
On my HDTV with overscan turned off, the Wii fills the 16:9 screen. The web browser has black bars all around. Games that aren't 16:9 have black bars along the left and right sides while 16:9 games fill the screen.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I get it with Rayman, but not with Zelda, the menu or Sports.

I'm sort of appalled, actually. I thought this was the sort of artifact I'd left behind with composite outputs and CRT displays. How the heck can they release a game in this state in 2007?

·
Registered
936 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkozlows /forum/post/0

I get it with Rayman, but not with Zelda, the menu or Sports.

I'm sort of appalled, actually. I thought this was the sort of artifact I'd left behind with composite outputs and CRT displays. How the heck can they release a game in this state in 2007?

They rushed it to market in time for Christmas. I wouldn't expect any more titles to be released in 4:3 unless it's a direct port from an original, and if that's the case it won't be going in my game library.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I don't think it has anything to do with 16:9 or 4:3. The game outputs the same number of pixels (720x480) no matter what, and the only difference between 4:3 and 16:9 is the aspect ratio of the stuff rendered into those pixels (and, therefore, what display setting you should use on your TV -- stretch or pillarboxed -- to make it look non-distorted).

The issue here is that a 16:9 game is underscanning -- its pixels, for whatever reasons, aren't reaching the edge of the display. This doesn't appear to be due to pixels being missing, but instead looks like some sort of weird analogue artifact. (I actually didn't realize it was possible to see this sort of thing on a digital display; I thought it was just CRT blooming or whatever that would cause it.)

This is, as I say, highly lame.

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
Does this have anything to do with the Wii, per se? A large number of console games wind up being underscanned by design, regardless of platform and aspect ratio. It's simply because designers want every last portion of the screen (including important status data at the edges) to be shown on the display. Developers figure that most sets have some overscan, so if they underscan a bit more, they're guaranteed to get all of the game onto the screen.

·
Registered
936 Posts
I have no idea why it's not filling the screen. I have a Wii on a 50" Panasonic plasma and it fills the screen when set to 16:9. Can you try another Wii on your TV? Can you verify the input on the TV is working correctly by using the Avia calibration disc? It has test patterns to determine if your set has over/under scan.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I run a wii through a DVDO VP30 scaler...

...I have the scaler set to 720P going HDMI to my 768P TV. (TV doesn't take 768P in)

When I set the scaler's output resolution to 480P, the underscan went away - now the wii menu, zelda, and sports use evey pixel.

But - when I flip it back to 720p - the underscanning is back.

This is weird because I have other 480P/480i sources that I use with the scaler with no problem with the underscanning on the TV.

I'd prefer to leave the scaler running at 720P

Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I have this with my PJ setup as well (a Pearl which I have optically overscanning by only a couple pixels onto the screen's frame, so essentially no overscan) with the Wii hooked up via component. There's enough underscan in fact that even when I turn on the PJ's built-in overscan feature, it still underscans slightly.
Interestingly, there was no underscan when my Wii was hooked up via composite, even with the PJ's overscan setting turned off. Personally this doesn't really bother me and I live with the underscan but I can see why it would bother people.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
I have a Mitsubishi HC3100 front projector being fed components. If I recall correctly, I'm about 97-98% overscan to get the image to fill the screen. (100% is no overscan)

It's much better than my ATI All-In-Wonder which won't even fill the screen via components with the maximum 90% overscan...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.