AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
61 - 65 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Thanks for the further insight, bigpapa.

I think the conclusion (at least for now) I've come to is this.. (not that anyone cares..)

In my situation, terminating all of the Cat-5 that's run for data will go to a switch, and all the Cat-5 that's run for voice will go to a punchdown block. I'd get a patch panel for coax since there's a significant loss the more you split the signal (as opposed to an ethernet switch). I'll also only plug in probably no more than 4 or so coax locations at a time.

That all being said, Ronnie's wiring closet/rack is absolutely gorgeous, and if I had the time/patience/use for that type of setup, I'd definitely go for it. Great job, Ronnie. :)

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Thanks Tim.

The main thing here is to do what works for you. Both from a cost and application standpoint.

Im sure whatever you choose, it will work out great.

Ronnie

·
Registered
951 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie_jackson
Thanks Tim.

The main thing here is to do what works for you. Both from a cost and application standpoint.

Im sure whatever you choose, it will work out great.

Ronnie
Ronnie,

I love your Rack setup. Quite the Beauty. I see you have 3 24-port "F" connector panels. Are they used for 3 separate functions, such as 1 for CATV, 1Satellite, and 1 for FM antenna? Or do I have a misunderstanding of the use of a 24 port patch panel?

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Curtis104, Thanks.

84 of the ports (the ones with labels) are the patch points for the jacks in each room. This means that one end of the cable is on the patch panel and the other end terminates at the rooms.

The 12 unlabeled ports are use for the feeds. Most are empty right now. I currently am using 4 for CATV and 2 for FM. They can be used for any type of distribution you need. For example on the CATV, I used a powered splitter to apply CATV service to the bottom left 4 jacks on the top panel. This is done from behind the rack. Then you simply run a patch cable from one of those over to any of the room location jacks and you have just directed catv to that room. If you change your mind and want the tv in that room on another wall, you simply move the patch over to that jacks location on the patch. You can see in my first pic where I have 3 patches for the catv.

If you wanted Sat distribution, you would add a multi-switch to the back and direct the outputs to some of the empty jacks. Then, just like the catv, you would patch those into the rooms.

I hope that makes sense. Its a lot easier to actually show someone on the panel. My wife can even move services around from room to room now.

Ronnie

·
Registered
716 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie_jackson
All my wire management is made by Panduit. Its great stuff. Used in many datacenters I have been in. I used the following peices.

WMPVS20 4 of them for the side vertical mgmt. Dual sided.

WMPF1 front horizontal mgmt. 2U

WMPFSE front horizontal mgmt. 1U

Ronnie
Why 4 of the WMPVS20's? Did you feel 4 x 35" was more flexible than say 2 x WMPVHC45E's (80.4" tall). Is that a 7' Chatsworth?

I just bought 4 of the 7' Chatsworths in black (I was thinking of combining them in pairs to get 2 x 4-post racks for stability and wiring reasons). I didn't realize each one would take 750 lbs. I notice the WMPVS20 is 5" deep and 4" wide but the 80" tall pieces are much deeper and wider.

Maybe I should just talk to someone at Greybar that sells the stuff?!?

61 - 65 of 65 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.