AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought an XP30 back in the first week of February. The unit has performed flawlessly and I could not be happier with the picture quality; until now…

I recently picked up copies of Speed (Five Star Edition), Minority Report and Miss Congeniality. The wife and I tried to watch Speed this past Friday. As soon as I put the DVD in, my troubles began. The XP30 actually made a “ticking†noise as it tried to read the disc. It took a longer than usual time to read the disc, but it finally did. Then, during the FBI warning, I noticed a couple of black bars overlaying the text so not all of it was readable. Once I started the film, during the opening credits, the DVD kept pixellating with audio dropouts – these were fraction of a second pauses that happened numerous times. So, we gave up on Speed and popped in Minority Report. MR played flawlessly and we assumed we had a bad copy of Speed.

On Saturday, we decided to watch Miss Congeniality. All was fine until the 40:00 +/- mark of the film (end of Chapter 11). During the scene where Miss NY and Miss Hawaii are about to get into an argument and Sandra Bullock butts in, the screen pixellated (almost completely) and the audio dropped out – again, just for a split second.

Last night I decided to break out my 4-year old Sony interlaced player (in storage while the basement gets finished) and try both Speed and Miss Congeniality. Both discs played flawlessly on the Sony! No pixellation at any of the problem points with the XP30 and Speed fired up instantly. Now, just to be safe, I unhooked the Sony and rehooked up the XP30 and tried the discs again – in both 480i and 480p. Same problems as the other night.

Anyone have any thoughts? I have probably watched 30+ DVDs on the XP30 since I got it (including some rental discs and countless extras) and these are the first problems I have had. If it only happened on one of them, I’d chalk it up as a bad DVD and return it. But to have it happen on 2 out of 3 discs in 2 days and then play fine on a 4-year old machine… Hmmm…

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
I have the xp-50 and have never seen anything like this.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Maurice - thanks for checking out Speed Five Star for me! I eagerly await your findings!

Matt - tell me about it! I was loving life with my XP30 up until this.

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
I also have an XP50 and Toy Story 2 will not play on that either. It plays fine on two different Toshiba players and my Sony portable. I am checking Speed now.

Maurice

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Maurice - can you tell me where in Toy Story 2 this happens? Or does the disc just not play? I have that DVD and would like to check it out on my XP30. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
I tried Speed and it worked fine. I am starting to think that this player is very sensitive to imperfections in the disc. While I do not see anything obviously wrong with my Toy Story disc perhaps there is a scratch or something else causing the problem. I will borrow a friends disc and give it a try. For me Toy Story start to get bad somewhere after Woody gets kidnapped.

Maurice

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Maurice! I found out my coworker has a CP-72 so I'm giving him my copy of Speed to try. I will probably swap it out for a new copy regardless and see what happens. I will also give Toy Story 2 a look at. Thanks again!

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, Speed played fine on my coworkers CP-72. Looks like the XP30 has to go in for some warranty service - I'm 9 days shy of the 90-day labor warranty. I must say, I'm not happy at all with my first DVD player purchase from Panasonic! :(

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mauricef
I tried Speed and it worked fine. I am starting to think that this player is very sensitive to imperfections in the disc.
I think this is the case as I've encountered a similar problem on a rented copy of Any Given Sunday. It got to chapter 12, I believe, and pixelated, had severe audio dropouts and eventually paused. I wiped the disc clean and noticed some light scratches.

Tried it again and the same thing happened. I tried it on my Pioneer DV-656a and it played flawlessly. I've only run about 10 or so DVDs through the XP30 and have had no problems outside of this one.

My Pioneer has played everything I've run through it (75 - 100 or so DVDs) with no problems at all, with the exception of one rented DVD that caused severe pixelation and audio dropouts. The player continued to play the movie and "got past" the "problem" area of the disc and the rest of the movie played just fine.

Peace...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.